Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM

597 posts, read 1,318,112 times

Advertisements

Lucy's is on point chicken wise, I highly recommend it, unfortunately it's very expensive. n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,862 times
Looks like Lucy's didn't make the cut - but neither did KFC. So for you fried chicken snobs - gas up the car and check out these places on your road trip!

Food & Wine: The Best Fried Chicken In The U.S.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,774,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Lucy's is on point chicken wise, I highly recommend it, unfortunately it's very expensive. n
Lucy's is indeed good, but if I am spending money on fried chicken, I would rather spend a few dollars more and get the chicken fried in duck fat at Foreign & Domestic, which might very well be the best fried chicken I have ever tasted. Just check before you go, they change the menu all the time, and it is not always on it.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Looks like Lucy's didn't make the cut - but neither did KFC. So for you fried chicken snobs - gas up the car and check out these places on your road trip!
You know, I saw that article, but decided not to bring it into this conversation because I thought it was quite random, with only one really worthy entry. I mean, sorry, but traditional southern lunch at Two Sisters in Jackson, MS and Korean fried chicken at Momofuku's in NYC are in completely different leagues. I LOVE Momofuku's, but when I go there I'm having the pork buns and noodles, whereas yes, the next time I'm anywhere near Jackson I'm gonna take a road trip for lunch.

We're looking for the perfection of fresh chicken on the bone, salt, pepper, a little flour, perfectly cooked in deep oil in a cast iron skillet. My, my, my. That's what I'm talking about.

But a shout-out to Harold's in Chicago for making the list. Been there, I'd go again, but it's not the pinnacle, because it is cooked faster than old time pan-frying. You need that full 25-30 minutes in the pan to develop full flavor.

But it did remind me of one worthy contender in Austin... Hoover's Home Cooking on Manor Road, east of I-35. Can be excellent at times, but not always. If they were a little more consistent, a little more attentive to the details, maybe.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,060,168 times
Y'all are killing me here, I've been trying to go gluten-free. All my LA friends swear by it....

Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Y'all are killing me here, I've been trying to go gluten-free. All my LA friends swear by it....
Nahhhhhhh. There's actually no reason to go gluten-free unless you are actually gluten-sensitive, which might describe perhaps 10% of those following gluten-free diets.

It is... seriously... little more than a trendy fad for most people. And it's one that will cause you considerable unnecessary expense and difficulty if you take it up without authentic medical need. No diss to people who actually suffer from celiac disease... I used to live with one... but it's not a universal condition.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
I never eat fried chicken away from home if I can avoid it--it's always fried chicken with the skin on, and that (to me) is just NASTY.

My mom always skinned her chicken, so we got nothing but meat and crisp, edible crust!

It's labor-intensive to skin chicken, so I can see why they don't remove it. If I could find a restaurant where it's made w/o the skin, I would try it.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,566,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
To paraphrase Jay Leno, "Until I had a gluten-free cookie, I never knew how much I LOVE gluten! Now, I order extra on the side."

I've been cutting out gratuitous refined flour and sugar lately...the flour on fried chicken ain't gratuitous in MY book!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Nahhhhhhh. There's actually no reason to go gluten-free unless you are actually gluten-sensitive, which might describe perhaps 10% of those following gluten-free diets.

It is... seriously... little more than a trendy fad for most people. And it's one that will cause you considerable unnecessary expense and difficulty if you take it up without authentic medical need. No diss to people who actually suffer from celiac disease... I used to live with one... but it's not a universal condition.
Apparently I have to spread it around a bit more before I can give you some more rep love, OpenD. So here it is for you - EXACTLY, and I've seen this happen so many times over the years with so many bandwagons it's not funny.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I never eat fried chicken away from home if I can avoid it--it's always fried chicken with the skin on, and that (to me) is just NASTY.

My mom always skinned her chicken, so we got nothing but meat and crisp, edible crust!

It's labor-intensive to skin chicken, so I can see why they don't remove it. If I could find a restaurant where it's made w/o the skin, I would try it.
I couldn't agree more. Mother always skinned the chicken too and I have never eaten chicken skin. The thought of eating that yellow skin is replusive to me.

I'll eat the tenders at Chicken Express, but for panfried chicken pieces, I do my own. Just soak the chicken overnight in a salt brine, season & panfry in a cast iron skillet. Nothing fancy, but sure good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin