Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,526,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTDatx View Post
It's a status and a prestige thing. Most people want that "Austin" address due to resale value and prestige. I asked this question to a few well known realtors in the Austin metro area with combined 45 years experience. Your analogy of "New York" is identical.

A realtor explained its "Austin" then Round Rock, cedar park, then leander, then Hutto, Manor, Liberty hill. IN THAT ORDER. Areas like westlake, lakeway, bee cave, rollingwood etc all have their status rankings as well.

This is obviously one's professional opinion based off their years of realtor experience in Austin metro area. I can tell you people want that "Austin" address.
I suppose I don't agree with that because a place can be in a crappy, crime filled neighborhood but has an Austin address and I wouldn't consider it better than my non-Austin address. Personally, I just don't see any real difference between North Austin and the suburban cities. They look exactly alike.

As a laugh, my city doesn't even appear on his prestigious list. Oh no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,392,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I guess I don't understand what's so important about having an Austin address. Is it almost like when I was in NYC, everyone wanting to have a "New York, NY" address (which denotes living in Manhattan?) I'm saying this truthfully, of course, that I don't understand.

What really is the difference between North Austin and the suburban cities of Cedar Park and Round Rock?
Me neither.

We were disappointed to learn that the lot we selected in the Meadows of Brushy Creek actually had an Austin mailing address instead of Round Rock.
As I mentioned before, it was a pleasure to vote Brushy Creek out of Austin's ETJ into Round Rock's.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM

65 posts, read 86,997 times
Bumping this thread up - any more updates on the toll road on O'Connor? Is it open yet? Does anyone have information if they are building Phase III in Highland Horizon?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAustinMom View Post
Bumping this thread up - any more updates on the toll road on O'Connor? Is it open yet? Does anyone have information if they are building Phase III in Highland Horizon?
The O'Connor extension is scheduled to be open in the fall of this year, last I heard. I'm staying away from that area in general...way too much construction along 620, hidden driveways, lost drivers, stone trucks

You can connect with the 'back' of HH off the O'Connor extension; but that has been open for well over a year.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM

The contractor on the O'Connor/45 tollway intersection/overpass is going full speed. It looks like they've been paving the approach roads & are working to completion on the on/off ramps. I'll bet a dollar to a Round Rock donut (even bet really) they will be finished on time, if not sooner.

They seem to be moving faster than the work down at the Riverside/Ben White intersection by the airport.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM

11 posts, read 20,175 times
Quote:
Yes, the above is correct and I noticed this afternoon they were clearing the land for phase III. It's a great neighborhood and homes sell VERY quickly! The construction is annoying, but this too shall pass and it really needed to be done. :-)

Old 04-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey-there View Post
It's a great neighborhood and homes sell VERY quickly! The construction is annoying, but this too shall pass and it really needed to be done. :-)
I'm curious - why do you think the homes sell really quickly? What kind of neighborhood is it? We actually live there now (we bought end of 2013) but I'm curious as to what other people think. It's been a chilly winter and we haven't met a single neighbor in the 'hood.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM

17 posts, read 30,566 times
Breaking ground on our house next week in phase II. Hopefully the O'Connor extension is open when we move in September.
Quote:
I'm curious - why do you think the homes sell really quickly? What kind of neighborhood is it? We actually live there now (we bought end of 2013) but I'm curious as to what other people think. It's been a chilly winter and we haven't met a single neighbor in the 'hood.
I can tell you why we chose the neighborhood. We've been renting for a year since moving from Houston, as most people suggest, to get a lay of the land. We've got a daughter starting school next year so wanted to buy somewhere with a good school track. Unfortunately with a budget of $300k or less the options are slim closer in. We got nearly everything we wanted good schools, decent commute (we both work on the north side), new construction (didn't want an older house), and came in under our budget. Only things we really gave up was having a big back yard, and less dining options vs our current location near the Arboretum.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Have you tried knocking on their doors to introduce yourselves and maybe organizing a block party on a Saturday?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therehanz View Post
Breaking ground on our house next week in phase II. Hopefully the O'Connor extension is open when we move in September.

I can tell you why we chose the neighborhood. We've been renting for a year since moving from Houston, as most people suggest, to get a lay of the land. We've got a daughter starting school next year so wanted to buy somewhere with a good school track. Unfortunately with a budget of $300k or less the options are slim closer in. We got nearly everything we wanted good schools, decent commute (we both work on the north side), new construction (didn't want an older house), and came in under our budget. Only things we really gave up was having a big back yard, and less dining options vs our current location near the Arboretum.
My son starts Kinder in the fall, too! We chose the 'hood for similar reasons but got a huge backyard, too. I'm just curious about others and I haven't found super-friendly neighbors yet but that may change when school's out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin