Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,584,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Highland horizon is round rock as far as most people are concerned. Very few think of it as Austin. To this day I don't understand what the big deal is when it comes to zip codes.
Yeah, but I reckon there are a half dozen or so folks out there that don't read all the hype about "Best City for...." and might still have an idea of where Austin is; but would be clueless when it comes to Round Rock or Cedar Park or even Dripping Springs. In those cases, seeing an Austin address on something might be a clue as to location...who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,392,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinizer View Post
The O'Connor extension has become my new daily route since its opening. One aspect I still can't get used to is the seemingly long traffic signal phasing on the O'Connor/SH45 bridge (compared to, e.g. 620/SH45). At the time the I pass through the intersection, sometimes minutes go by with only 1-2 cars passing through the intersection, while cars are waiting at O'Connor. Does it seem more efficient during rush hour? Or even worse? (Should someone contact the county or TxDOT to ask if it works as intended?)

Regarding the 620 widening project under construction, I find it interesting that they are planning to stripe it as 2 lanes each way with wide shoulders (basically same capacity as before, but safer), but my understanding is that it is wide enough to stripe it 3 lanes each direction in the future. I wonder how long it will take before the wide shoulder will become a third lane.
While not commuters, we use that intersection a few times a week and have noticed the same problem. I'd guess that 90% of the traffic that passes thru the lights are southbound to 45 on O'Connor. The return traffic is coming off 45 & turning north on O'Connor. To have the southbound traffic pile up to wait so long (and it IS long) for nobody is ludicrous.
Seems that those who set the light never come back to see the "damage" they have wrought. Of course, that goes for the entire traffic light system in Austin. Then the EPA puts their air quality monitors nearby the worst intersections where thousands of cars have to sit idling every day, so they can proclaim another "Ozone Action Day".

{end of rant}

Old 10-06-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
While not commuters, we use that intersection a few times a week and have noticed the same problem. I'd guess that 90% of the traffic that passes thru the lights are southbound to 45 on O'Connor. The return traffic is coming off 45 & turning north on O'Connor. To have the southbound traffic pile up to wait so long (and it IS long) for nobody is ludicrous.
Seems that those who set the light never come back to see the "damage" they have wrought. Of course, that goes for the entire traffic light system in Austin. Then the EPA puts their air quality monitors nearby the worst intersections where thousands of cars have to sit idling every day, so they can proclaim another "Ozone Action Day".

{end of rant}
That merge from westbound 45 to turn right on O'Connor is no walk in the park during traffic times. The quick lane changes coupled with many folks going the speed limit or higher will only get worse...not to mention the sight line when making that turn onto O'Connor is partially obstructed. NOT the engineers finest hour, I'm afraid. Glad we have turbos in both vehicles

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerreroRocher View Post
Info from a couple of years ago but very pertinent for anyone looking at the HH Phase3 community. This poster was right, and now HH Phase3 has a 78681 RR address according to the post office. This was decided just a few days ago. I know for a fact because we are building there and I was so happy to have a CoA address but now it is a RR address. It remains and unincorporated area, though.
When we built our house in Brushy Creek 20 years ago, we were highly disappointed to find out we still had an Austin mailing address instead of the anticipated Round Rock post office.

Later on I was aghast when the City of Austin annexed the Avery Ranch area all the way up the neighbors' back fences on the north side of the street from us! Old Buck Avery is probably still spinning in his grave over that one!

At least the legislature allowed us to vote ourselves OUT of the Austin ETJ in 1996. And when a few neighbors started talking about incorporating Brushy Creek into a chartered "city", I told them they were nuts. We have a good utility system and good fire & sheriff protection. No need for us to have to pay for a bloated city government loaded with bureaucrats.

Brushy Creek (including Highland Horizon) is a great place to live & raise a family, so no need to make it unaffordable like Austin.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstzATX View Post
It is unincorporated, and all patrolled by Williamson County Sheriff's Office. However, HH is all RR ETJ, which is all area the city of round rock has authority to annex in the city limits. RR will not annex the area due to the debt load from the MUD bonds...it will remain in the unincorporated area for several years to come.

All of Brushy Creek MUD is RR ETJ, with the exception of the road 620, which is Austin's ETJ. Several years ago, the community voted to be in RR ETJ and NOT Austin's ETJ...but RR wanted nothing to do with 620 and they said Austin can keep it in their ETJ. RR 620 boundary ends at Wyoming Springs Dr intersection.

Wilco Sheriff's patrol ALL of the ETJ areas, and all of 620 to 45 up to Austin city limits down near Palmer LN/620.

Here you can look at RR's city limit boundaries and ETJ boundaries. Click on "layers" at the top and select boundaries icon. CityView

Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That merge from westbound 45 to turn right on O'Connor is no walk in the park during traffic times. The quick lane changes coupled with many folks going the speed limit or higher will only get worse...not to mention the sight line when making that turn onto O'Connor is partially obstructed. NOT the engineers finest hour, I'm afraid. Glad we have turbos in both vehicles
We rarely drive down or return that way during rush hour. I still have most of my marbles.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
We rarely drive down or return that way during rush hour. I still have most of my marbles.
I make that trek every other Wednesday when returning from Double Creek off 45 in RR. It's usually around 11am, so the traffic is light. Last week, it was more like 4:30 and WOW what a difference. I fully expected some motorists to make the right turn from the center lane onto O'Connor; but everyone played by the rules. I'll bet that's not always the case. IF they ever start that flyover from 620 to IH35 and cook that intersection, I would imagine many more folks to find that way into your hood from the expressways. I DID manage to pass by the Dairy Queen without picking up a caramel shake...no promises about what will happen NEXT Wednesday

Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Highland Horizon is in Round Rock, not Austin — just in case you get a realtor who tries to sell you the "North Austin" bill of goods. Round Rock is an entirely different city.

From what I've seen of this area, it's very new and growing quickly. Nothing about it really stands out in my mind — it looks a lot like any other bedroom community, but it's not shabby or shady. Like I said, very new. If you or your husband work in Austin, that could be a very long commute. You could spend a lot of money on toll charges and fuel each month. Not to mention the time.
Highland Horizon is definitely in north Austin. It is not in Round Rock. You may want to fact check. It's 78717, same as Avery Ranch. That's Austin.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,526,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackharder View Post
Highland Horizon is definitely in north Austin. It is not in Round Rock. You may want to fact check. It's 78717, same as Avery Ranch. That's Austin.
Again who cares?

Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackharder View Post
Er...78717 denotes a Zip Code boundary, not a city's limits.

The GIS Dept. doesn't agree with you, showing HH to be totally in the Round Rock ETJ and part of the Brushy Creek MUD...clearly NOT in the city limits of Austin.

Take a peek if you wish:

http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/wp-con...l_etj_muds.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin