Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,586,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinizer View Post
The 620 improvements will approx. double the width of the road but it will still be two lanes in each direction. It will have a raised center median and wide shoulders. The portion of the road next to HH will expand all towards the HH side, and it will consume some of space that was set aside for commercial lots next to HH.

The intersections with Cornerwood, Great Oaks, O'Connor, and Wyoming Springs will all have additional lanes, including dedicated right turn lanes.

I think it will make it safer to drive on 620 but certainly won't be safer to cross as a pedestrian (due to the additional width, right turn lanes, etc.) ... which could be important to residents of HH because the rest of the MUD (including community center) is on the other side of 620.
Well, for our first couple of years here, we VERY seldom went that way to exit Avery Ranch(must admit I'm drawn to Johnny T's BBQ, Bush's Chicken, Wash Tub and Sprouts headed toward IH35). Guess we can revert to our old ways of going west toward Parmer for the next year or two! That HEB is already a fire drill...can't wait until they try to add dedicated right turn lanes. Where will the 'We Buy Gold' sign twirler hang out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:59 PM

153 posts, read 511,989 times
10scoachrick,

We're drawn west towards Z'Tejas, McDonalds, and Shipley Donuts! And of course your future location of Trader Joes at Avery Ranch, even though Highland Horizon also has a nice space in front for TJ.

About the sign twirler, remember they are building a raised median for him!

Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 28,096 times
I live in Highland Horizon and find it a great location, not to mention we feed into excellent schools. Neighborhoods off 183 such as spicewood estates or Balcones village also feed into RRISD. It is the best of both worlds! I have many doctors off 38th and get there in 15 minutes, once the oconnor road opens it will possibly shave off 5 minutes. The tolls can get expensive, but please don't listen to those that say it is not in Austin. My address is in Austin, therefore I live in Austin. We are considered Northwest Austin in the Brushy Creek area. Just as Steiner Ranch is in Austin but feeds into Leander ISD. Avery Ranch is located close to our neighborhood and the also feed into RRISD, it is a very large NW Austin community off Palmer.

Please be careful who you listen too, some Austinites are very opinionated about what is and what is not considered Austin...

Old 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,096 times
Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Highland Horizon is in Round Rock, not Austin — just in case you get a realtor who tries to sell you the "North Austin" bill of goods. Round Rock is an entirely different city.

From what I've seen of this area, it's very new and growing quickly. Nothing about it really stands out in my mind — it looks a lot like any other bedroom community, but it's not shabby or shady. Like I said, very new. If you or your husband work in Austin, that could be a very long commute. You could spend a lot of money on toll charges and fuel each month. Not to mention the time.
Highland Horizon is indeed in Northwest Austin. It is a great location with many perks. Just like Spicewood Estates, Balcones Village, Avery Ranch, and Canyon Creek, Highland Horizon feeds into RRISD. All of these neighborhoods enjoy the Austin address, but feed into exceptional schools.

If you don't like the tolls, take the metro on Howard Lane. It is very close and will take you directly to 4th street for approximately $1.50. This neighborhood is growing very quickly and property values are really increasing. People are realizing what a great location it actually is!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northaustinite View Post
I live in Highland Horizon and find it a great location, not to mention we feed into excellent schools. Neighborhoods off 183 such as spicewood estates or Balcones village also feed into RRISD. It is the best of both worlds! I have many doctors off 38th and get there in 15 minutes, once the oconnor road opens it will possibly shave off 5 minutes. The tolls can get expensive, but please don't listen to those that say it is not in Austin. My address is in Austin, therefore I live in Austin. We are considered Northwest Austin in the Brushy Creek area. Just as Steiner Ranch is in Austin but feeds into Leander ISD. Avery Ranch is located close to our neighborhood and the also feed into RRISD, it is a very large NW Austin community off Palmer.

Please be careful who you listen too, some Austinites are very opinionated about what is and what is not considered Austin...
Since I participated in this thread earlier, I feel compelled to point out a couple of things. A) There is nothing to suggest HH is in NORTHWEST Austin, as it is certainly not west of any part of Austin, let alone the mid-line. 2) A great percentage of Avery Ranch feeds into Leander ISD, essentially any home west of Whitley Bay Dr and north of Avery Ranch Blvd. and C) There were folks who thought Parmer was supposed to be Palmer; but the Parmer name won out. Avery Ranch stretches approximately 2 miles to the east and west of Parmer.

It's further confusing as the AustinTexas.gov site lists 'Southern Cross Dr', a street in Highland Horizon, as being in Round Rock. Clear as MUD, you might say.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:52 PM

AND I'll add that covering the 18 miles from HH to the 38th St medical area in 15 minutes requires a fair bit of speeding, especially considering the surface streets that must be negotiated at the beginning and end. Just sayin'.

Who knows if this 2013 map is correct; but it shows HH as NOT being within the city limits of Austin(those are some screwy boundaries around there!
http://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-b...cityid/4805000

Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM

912 posts, read 1,288,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Since I participated in this thread earlier, I feel compelled to point out a couple of things. A) There is nothing to suggest HH is in NORTHWEST Austin, as it is certainly not west of any part of Austin, let alone the mid-line. 2) A great percentage of Avery Ranch feeds into Leander ISD, essentially any home west of Whitley Bay Dr and north of Avery Ranch Blvd. and C) There were folks who thought Parmer was supposed to be Palmer; but the Parmer name won out. Avery Ranch stretches approximately 2 miles to the east and west of Parmer.

It's further confusing as the AustinTexas.gov site lists 'Southern Cross Dr', a street in Highland Horizon, as being in Round Rock. Clear as MUD, you might say.
The official Austin GIS does show Highland Horizon as being part of the Round Rock ETJ (not the city of Round Rock). Round Rock's CityView confirms this.

Regarding C, though, you are incorrect. Parmer was Palmer for decades before it mysteriously changed.
origin-of-parmer-name-a-result-of-misspelling - Community Impact Newspaper
I saw one of the old maps at a county office and was shocked to see the Palmer name on the map instead of Parmer, which is why it's stuck with me.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM

593 posts, read 471,529 times
the name Highland Horizon will make you think you're moving into a development of Highland Homes, but that's not the case. David Weekly and Newmark are the builders and tbh, they could've done better with the layout of the neighborhood. Round Rock schools so you win there...and you're on thh 620 artery so traffic will suck in the mornings. but otherwise, if they meet your price point and "what I want/need" list", they are worth a shot.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
the name Highland Horizon will make you think you're moving into a development of Highland Homes, but that's not the case. David Weekly and Newmark are the builders and tbh, they could've done better with the layout of the neighborhood. Round Rock schools so you win there...and you're on thh 620 artery so traffic will suck in the mornings. but otherwise, if they meet your price point and "what I want/need" list", they are worth a shot.
We'll see if the current massive rebuilding of 620 and the O'Conner extension help.

I think it will, but the 620 expansion, including the railroad overpass near RR High School, should've been done 10 years ago.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM

12,960 posts, read 13,395,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northaustinite View Post
Highland Horizon is indeed in Northwest Austin. It is a great location with many perks. Just like Spicewood Estates, Balcones Village, Avery Ranch, and Canyon Creek, Highland Horizon feeds into RRISD. All of these neighborhoods enjoy the Austin address, but feed into exceptional schools.

If you don't like the tolls, take the metro on Howard Lane. It is very close and will take you directly to 4th street for approximately $1.50. This neighborhood is growing very quickly and property values are really increasing. People are realizing what a great location it actually is!
I live in Brushy Creek and do not "enjoy" having an Austin address. In fact when we moved here in 1995 we thought it would be in the Round Rock post office area. Ticked me off when we found out differently. Also thought it was appalling when Austin annexed the Avery Ranch development north of us! The CoA is like an out of control octopus that wants to gobble up central Texas so they can control everybody & everything.

I'm still grateful to the legislature for allowing us to vote ourselves out of Austin's ETJ 15 years ago. The vote was about 2-1, IIRC.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-25-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin