Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM

134 posts, read 296,867 times

Advertisements

Hello, my Austin comrades,
We are a family just moved to Austin, and currently we live in the Leander area.
Could you please tell me where we can find cheap grocery stores (Big chains like Foods Co, Winco Foods, and FoodMax in California)? Yesterday, we bought a gallon of 2%fat milk for $3.58 at the Walmart Superstore, and I think the price was quite high.($3 in a FoodMax store near Morro Bay, California). It feels like living expenses in Austin are not low at all, am I wrong? Or just don't know where to shop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Really, the only thing cheaper about living in Austin is the cost of housing. Compared to many cities around the country, you can get a LOT more house for your dollar, especially if you're willing to live in the suburbs.

I never found food or other everyday goods to be any cheaper here. Walmart and HEB tend to have the lowest prices I've found, but don't expect it to be much lower than CA, if at all.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:58 PM

319 posts, read 346,391 times
Probably Costco or Sams Club are the only cheaper options. I also find grocery prices high with few supermarket chains here. Neither HEB or Randalls are bargains.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Big chains in CA are not chains in Texas. Lots of times you can find milk at the dollar stores these days. Good luck

Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
You wouldn't want to shop there for many grocery items, but CVS usually has a pretty good deal on Oak Farms no growth hormone milk. It's frequently 2.99/gal and they often have a 'sixth gallon is free'-type program for ExtraCare card holders. Walgreens is another place for milk, especially when they are competing with a CVS nearby.

IF you went to the WalMart @ 1431 & 183(Bell), you experienced an interesting slice of central Texas. IF you are farther north, the HEB in Leander is likely your best bet for everyday shopping.
H-E-B Pharmacy 651 N US Highway 183, Leander, TX 78641

IF you are closer to Ronald Reagan/Parmer and 1431, the HEB at that intersection is quite nice.

At the intersection of 183A(toll road) and 1431(Whitestone Blvd) is a huge shopping complex, including a very nice SuperTarget and Natural Grocer. Their food selection is OK, sales are pretty good IF you watch the fliers.

You are at the northern fringes of the Austin 'metro'...I imagine you'll be driving in toward Lakeline or 1431 for much of a variety in goods and services(although there are certainly plenty of shopping options all along 183--including our pet groomer. )

Welcome to the convection oven!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM

HEB has no growth hormone milk for 3.14. The hill country fare milk is no growth hormones in little letters I think, just have to look at it.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:31 PM

134 posts, read 296,867 times
Thank you guys,
Now I got my Life in Austin 101. Prices in Morro Bay/Atascadero, California are still fresh in my memory, so I would have a comparison soon. By the way, what gas stations have lowest prices in Leander? (Costco gas can be cheaper, but it has less BTU due to its 10% ethanol, which equals less MPG, so Costco is out)
Gracias!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminpenumbra View Post
Thank you guys,
Now I got my Life in Austin 101. Prices in Morro Bay/Atascadero, California are still fresh in my memory, so I would have a comparison soon. By the way, what gas stations have lowest prices in Leander? (Costco gas can be cheaper, but it has less BTU due to its 10% ethanol, which equals less MPG, so Costco is out)
Gracias!
Here ya go:
Cedar Park Gas Prices - Find the Lowest Gas Prices in Cedar Park, Texas
or
Austin Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Texas

I've noticed the premium at Costco is a good deal, while their regular is within 2-3 cents of 'civilian' stations in the area. I personally prefer Chevron, Exxon, Texaco, Shell because I believe they have additives beyond the required minimum. I believe you will have to leave the metro area to find petrol without ethanol...seems like any city of size has the ethanol requirement.

IF you go with Chevron(my 1st choice), sign up for a TETCO card. You'll earn points toward car washes, drinks, etc. Better than a poke in the eye and their 'no-touch' car washes come in handy here in the dust bowl.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM

Right now HEB is the lowest in the area if you buy the gift card and use that to buy your gas you get 11cents off of whatever the pumps say so its a pretty good deal. In the area we have found either HEB or Walmart to be usually the lowest but always look at the signs at each gas station cause every once in a while they are cheaper also.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:38 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminpenumbra View Post
Thank you guys,
Gracias!
All of our gas here has 10% ethanol. Check gasbuddy for prices they vary weekly but in Cedar Park typically Walmart/Murphy and HEB are on the low side along with Signature and Exxon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin