Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,697,927 times

Advertisements

I went on a 4 day trip to Atlanta back in 2003. I enjoyed the city okay, but I didnt get that Old South feeling anywhere. I am from Richmond- so I am naturally used to a lot of Southern hospitality.

Anyways, I took a tour of the Margaret Mitchell home (its really a one level flat), and it was okay. The tour guide was nice. But I was dissapointed in how generic Atlanta seems to be. It seems like anyplace in the USA. I mean, I know its a big city.

But anyways, I was hoping for women in hoop skirts to say fiddle dee dee, and where was Rhett Butler? Stuck on the Marta?

Okay, just kidding.
But you know what I mean.

Atlanta felt like a cross between Washington DC and Chicago.

Anyways, Atlanta just didnt feel much like GWTW.

I hope maybe I can visit again and get that Gone With The Wind feelin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
You may be one of the few who would like a more 'GWTW' ATL.

As a native, I don't want that time back. Search the forum for threads on 'Racism in Atlanta'. It gets very, very old.

'a cross between D.C. and Chicago'--I can live with that.

The 'Gone But Not Forgotten in Atlanta' thread is interesting if you want a glimpse of 'How It Was' and are really interested in the history.
"Gone but not Forgotten in Atlanta"

A recent book about Atlanta is 'Peachtree Creek', by David Kauffman, IIRC. He followed the creek from Decatur to north of Atlanta in a kayak and provides some FYI on how the area developed.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/living/stories/2007/09/09/creek_0909.html (broken link)

In a few weeks the dogwoods and azaleas will be blooming. That is a spectacular sight and never fails to make me smile.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-02-2009 at 05:38 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,649,309 times
Vas, what brings you to the ATL forum? I'm sure that if I grew up back then I'd love it but I'm an 80's baby (1986 stand up) so my answer is NO. No I don't want Atlanta feeling like that awful movie (GWTW was boring). ATL's new so and that's what we like.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM

23,482 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Atlanta was founded as a railroad hub in the frontier South by citizens with large ambitions. It was never a "Moonlight and Magnolias" kind of town. Margaret Mitchell even acknowledged this...did you even read the book? GWTW was just a movie, honey.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM

722 posts, read 3,318,159 times
lol, my mom used to work at the Atlanta Convention and Visitors Bureau and she has told me stories of foreign tourists coming into her office and asking where Rhett Butler's grave was located. I'm sure they felt dumb after a brief explanation from my mom.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,697,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Vas, what brings you to the ATL forum? I'm sure that if I grew up back then I'd love it but I'm an 80's baby (1986 stand up) so my answer is NO. No I don't want Atlanta feeling like that awful movie (GWTW was boring). ATL's new so and that's what we like.
I was born in 1979. BTW- GWTW is one of the greatest films of ALL TIME. It is not boring. I supppose maybe it doesnt have enough explosions for some people, lol

But I thought it was interesting about the people and culture of AT-lanta.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,742,609 times
There are some surrounding towns and cities that have much more of a sweet southern feel (that seems to be what you're seeking) than the ATL. Madison, GA, is one that comes to mind. Town square, beautiful antebellum homes, quiet lifestyle....Mayberry.
A few areas in Atlanta try to mimic this but it's completely eclipsed by Outback Steakhouse, Target and Home Depot. I think Margaret Mitchell wouldn't exactly have put that in the book.
Something about 'Frankly, My Dear, I don't Give a Bloomin' Onion' just doesn't have the same effect.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Sweettea1 has some good suggestions. Madison, GA and the area between Atlanta and Augusta has a good bit of Southern charm.

You might enjoy a trip to Social Circle, GA--an hour's drive east on I20. The Blue Willow Inn/Tea Room is located there and they serve a Southern buffet daily. Delicious--with everything from fried chicken to candied yams and coconut cake.

Blue Willow Inn - Southern Buffet Restaurant - Social Circle Georgia Louis and Billie Van Dyke

LOL--Sweettea1 --MM had quite a vocabulary and wasn't shy about expressing her opinions.

Once I read that the 'real Tara' would have actually looked like a large farm house--similar to those in North Georgia--not much like the mansion in the movie. FWIW.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta was founded as a railroad hub in the frontier South by citizens with large ambitions. It was never a "Moonlight and Magnolias" kind of town. Margaret Mitchell even acknowledged this...did you even read the book? GWTW was just a movie, honey.
Exactly...the movie romaticized...Atlanta was not portrayed that way in the actual book...

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM

23,482 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Sweettea1 has some good suggestions. Madison, GA and the area between Atlanta and Augusta has a good bit of Southern charm.

You might enjoy a trip to Social Circle, GA--an hour's drive east on I20. The Blue Willow Inn/Tea Room is located there and they serve a Southern buffet daily. Delicious--with everything from fried chicken to candied yams and coconut cake.

Blue Willow Inn - Southern Buffet Restaurant - Social Circle Georgia Louis and Billie Van Dyke
OH! The Blue Willow Inn. If I didn't think that my husband would leave me, I would eat myself into a size 26 there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta