Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
On that note, would you mind showing me where the "Smokey & the Bandit" exhibit is located?
Like most things these days, in cyberspace: Smokey & The Bandit poster

Click on the "SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT THEN AND NOW" link, which will take you to a page with thumbnails of stills from the movie. Click on any thumbail to see a then-and-now comparison of the still and the location as it currently appears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I realize all of this. What struck me most, was why Atlanta doesnt take GWTW and use it for their advantage. I did see the Margaret Mitchell home, but I was surprised why they didn't bank on one of their biggest tourists attractions

Like here in Richmond, we make it known to everyone we were the Capital of the Confederacy. People dress in uniform and march around the statues, and salute. And you go to the Jefferson Hotel, and sometimes they play the theme song from GWTW.

We make people feel as if they were in the 19th Century.

Its like Richmond is taking advtange of its personality. But Atlanta needs to do this. They should have more sites about GWTW . Not just some crummy old aparment that Margaret Mitchell lived in.
I suppose maybe its not considered "politicaly corrrect"? I just think it would be a good idea for Atlanta to play up its image a bit.
Atlanta's personality has been described as 'Progressive'. Other posters have and will continue to offer further insight, I am certain.

Your trip was brief and you didn't really find the 'right' places to experience the culture/history that is available. I suggested a tour of Inman Park/Piedmont Park in a previous post. This was the first planned community developed after the Civil War and that is 'historic' Atlanta. I would also suggest a tour of Decatur, about 10-15 minutes east of Atlanta. Decatur was settled before Atlanta, FWIW. A progressive community with values/roots that go deep.

Beyond that--Buckhead, the area in which the Atlanta History Center is located, is a good place to sightsee if you want to see estates.

There is more to the ATL experience.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
I'm sorry If I offended anyone !

Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
I'm sorry If I offended anyone !
I doubt that anyone is offended but there have been many threads about Atlanta's inadequacies. Many have asserted that Atlanta can never be considered a 'World Class' city--lack of history being a major factor. Lack of diversity and being in The South is another.

Not to mention the ongoing discussion on the state flag.
Georgia State Flag, Current (http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/museum/html/georgia_state_flag_current.htm - broken link)

Next time you come--head straight to Inman Park/Candler Park--about 5 minutes from downtown. Have breakfast/lunch at the 'Flying Biscuit' and walk through the neighborhoods. Inman Park has a great festival in April--the last weekend, IIRC.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I doubt that anyone is offended but there have been many threads about Atlanta's inadequacies. Many have asserted that Atlanta can never be considered a 'World Class' city--lack of history being a major factor. Lack of diversity and being in The South is another.

Not to mention the ongoing discussion on the state flag.
Georgia State Flag, Current (http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/museum/html/georgia_state_flag_current.htm - broken link)

Next time you come--head straight to Inman Park/Candler Park--about 5 minutes from downtown. Have breakfast/lunch at the 'Flying Biscuit' and walk through the neighborhoods. Inman Park has a great festival in April--the last weekend, IIRC.
I love the GA state flag. Being in the South makes Atlanta more genteel, IMO.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:

Atlanta felt like a cross between Washington DC and Chicago.
Sounds like a compliment.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Sounds like a compliment.
you forgot to add "just kidding".

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
I realize all of this. What struck me most, was why Atlanta doesnt take GWTW and use it for their advantage. I did see the Margaret Mitchell home, but I was surprised why they didn't bank on one of their biggest tourists attractions

Like here in Richmond, we make it known to everyone we were the Capital of the Confederacy. People dress in uniform and march around the statues, and salute. And you go to the Jefferson Hotel, and sometimes they play the theme song from GWTW.

We make people feel as if they were in the 19th Century.

Its like Richmond is taking advtange of its personality. But Atlanta needs to do this. They should have more sites about GWTW . Not just some crummy old aparment that Margaret Mitchell lived in.

I suppose maybe its not considered "politicaly corrrect"? I just think it would be a good idea for Atlanta to play up its image a bit.
ROFLMAO HARD!!!! Man I can't breath!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...marching around statues?? Richmonder bless your heart man. Thank you. I love you and your family. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:42 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,264 times
we're the "new south", which means basically we outstanding model citizens of Atlanta consider all southern history to be racist. We strive hard to bring in our corporations and try and have the biggest airport so we can prove and make up excuses for our culture-less ideology. We NEED people to move here, because if our city isn't on some statistic then we are nothing nothing nothing, just another 500k city among a sea of about 50 other similar cities in the country. We can ignore our transient culture-less nature and become a statistic as long as people can move here and make a quick buck, because that's basically all we have is money and showmanship.

Even if we did retain our southern heritage sadly it wasn't truly earned it was earned on the backs of slaved sadly.

It's a lose-lose situation really, we are Atlanta and we are who we are and for those of us who moved here we either accept it or move... or we just ***** about it which is what I choose to do, because there ain't anything else to do here besides spend money and money ain't something a lot of us got now.... so we just going to gripe and wine and pray for the myriads of lost transient souls, like the ones I've met who come and go like an open door in a burlesque house.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
we're the "new south", which means basically we outstanding model citizens of Atlanta consider all southern history to be racist. We strive hard to bring in our corporations and try and have the biggest airport so we can prove and make up excuses for our culture-less ideology. We NEED people to move here, because if our city isn't on some statistic then we are nothing nothing nothing, just another 500k city among a sea of about 50 other similar cities in the country. We can ignore our transient culture-less nature and become a statistic as long as people can move here and make a quick buck, because that's basically all we have is money and showmanship.

Even if we did retain our southern heritage sadly it wasn't truly earned it was earned on the backs of slaved sadly.

It's a lose-lose situation really, we are Atlanta and we are who we are and for those of us who moved here we either accept it or move... or we just ***** about it which is what I choose to do, because there ain't anything else to do here besides spend money and money ain't something a lot of us got now.... so we just going to gripe and wine and pray for the myriads of lost transient souls, like the ones I've met who come and go like an open door in a burlesque house.
ha!

you seem like the kind of person i could get along with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta