Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Atlanta, but the history surrounding the city, its sheer size, its continuous growth, and its economic prowess continues to fascinate me. Above all it's located in an area of the country which takes the brunt of America's worst stereotypes and prejudices, the deep south.

My question is, does Atlanta feel southern? Obviously there is a large influx of people from all over the country in the Atlanta area, people from the east coast to west coast, from the north, to the south. The southern feel and environment is best felt in a small town or medium sized city, it seems that in a large bustling city, much like Atlanta, a lot of that may get lost.

-Do people in Atlanta generally have a southern accent?
-Is Atlanta a more republican or democratic leaning city?
-Is there a subway system in Atlanta?
-How southern does Atlanta feel compared with cities like Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, or Charleston? Atlanta is by far the largest, throughout that big city, does it maintain its southern roots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,720 times
It certainly does to me. Obviously those of us born and raised in the south can sense the southern culture being diluted in Atlanta, but if you go to any other region of the country and then come back you'll quickly realize that Atlanta is still southern. You can get sweet tea and grits anywhere, baptists still dominate and your hear strong southern accents all the time, even in the heart of the city.

By the way, there have been a ton of these forums done already. Just find them and you'll get your answers.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
-Yes, many people here have a southern accent.
-The city of Atlanta itself and majority black suburbs tend to be liberal(Voting wise, but many blacks here are socially conservative), but the majority of the suburbs are conservative. Conservatives seem to have more influence then liberals here.
-Yes, it is an underground system and a subway while you're in the city core.
-It doesn't feel as southern as it's other smaller southern peers, but it does strongly maintain it's southern roots.

What to get from this: Yes, Atlanta feels southern with a few northeastern characteristics.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
-Yes, many people here have a southern accent.
-The city of Atlanta itself and majority black suburbs tend to be liberal(Voting wise, but many blacks here are socially conservative), but the majority of the suburbs are conservative. Conservatives seem to have more influence then liberals here.
-Yes, it is an underground system and a subway while you're in the city core.
-It doesn't feel as southern as it's other smaller southern peers, but it does strongly maintain it's southern roots.

What to get from this: Yes, Atlanta feels southern with a few northeastern characteristics.
Thanks! Answered my questions perfectly. Is Atlanta a pretty nice city to tour? I've always been curious about it, was thinking of planning a trip there some day, I'm sure there's a lot to see and do.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Atlanta seems to build itself off tourism...it has a lot of tourist things to do. Downtown Atlanta is the hub for tourism. It's good for a weekend trip.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
-Do people in Atlanta generally have a southern accent?

no. there are some mild differences. for example, the use of y'all and sometimes words like "hasn't" can sound like "hadn't". but for example, when the final four happened here this week, we had people from all over the country, and it was hard to tell the difference between someone from michigan and here by their accent.

-Is Atlanta a more republican or democratic leaning city?

in the 2008 election results, if you include the greater metropolitan statistical area, which includes the suburbs and rural areas up to 80 miles away from atlanta, even then, obama won atlanta. intown atlanta is pretty hard left, but there are some patches where people are conservative, such as buckhead and druid hills

-Is there a subway system in Atlanta?

yes

-How southern does Atlanta feel compared with cities like Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte, or Charleston? Atlanta is by far the largest, throughout that big city, does it maintain its southern roots?

charleston and birmingham are the most southern of those. charlotte, NC doesn't seem 'southern' anymore, they seem about like us.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
Hell yea. It's one of the most southern places I've been too.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,281 times
If you look hard enough, you will find "Southerness" all over. It just depends on many factors from people, historical places, and so on. It is there, it just depends on what you personally focus on.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,942,367 times
We are originally from NJ, and have lived in the Atlanta metro for almost 8 years now. I have never felt out of place here, probably because there are so many transplants from elsewhere. But, Southerners are friendly, and I think that has an impact on people from less "open" areas. We love it. I imagine if you are used to being guarded in your interactions with others, it will take a while to get used to. I just enjoy the friendliness.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
Interesting that more then one response associated political leanings with whether or not the area is southern, political leanings did not enter my mind. I could see how depending on your background and where you lived before it would but the south is certainly not the only region with a certain political leaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta