Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:00 AM

402 posts, read 704,489 times

Advertisements

Pathetic that San Francsico, Seattle, Boston, etc beat us out... I thought we were the Mecca of traffic congestion and these other cities were filled with mass transit options. Just shows you that perception is reality, people keep saying Atlanta traffic is the worst, so it is!

INRIX Traffic Scorecard Reports U.S. Congestion on the Rise in 2013 Following Two Years of Double-Digit Declines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,998,755 times
Haha I made almost the exact same thread at the exact same time.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,053,147 times
Not surprised at all. Seattle is a great city but they are just getting started now on adding light rail (will never have heavy rail), we have a lot more then people realize. What Seattle does have is great bus service that appears to be non existence in most areas of the metro.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Not surprised at all. Seattle is a great city but they are just getting started now on adding light rail (will never have heavy rail), we have a lot more then people realize. What Seattle does have is great bus service that appears to be non existence in most areas of the metro.
Atlanta stole their HRT funding.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,647,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta stole their HRT funding.
Atlanta didn't steal anything. The citizens of Seattle did not want HRT at the time so we were next in line (Medellín: Rail Rapid Transit (Metro) Overview - Light Rail Now)

"In February 1968, the effort to implement a modern rail transit system began with a Seattle ballot measure called Forward Thrust, proposing $385 million in bonds to help fund a 47-mile, $1.15 billion rail transit system. This measure unfortunately failed, with 50.8% of the vote (60% was needed to pass). In May 1970, voters again defeated (with only 46% approval) a resubmitted package, which included $440 million in bonds for a regional transit system with 500 miles of bus routes and 49 miles of rail. Senator Warren G. Magnuson had secured nearly $900 million in federal funding to cover three-fourths of the system's total cost of $1.32 billion. Because the bond measure did not pass, the federal funding earmarked for King County was allocated to Atlanta's MARTA system instead. Voters approved an all-bus metro transit system in September 1972." [HistoryLink.org, 19 Sept. 2002]

Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,152,091 times
See LA at number 1. This is exactly what I was saying in another thread. LA traffic is 10 times worse than Atlanta traffic. There is no let-up at 6pm, there is even traffic at 3am. Atlanta has nothing more than a normal rush hour.

I think that maybe people who think Atlanta has the worst traffic have never lived in other major cities. It is by far, not anywhere near the worst, or even really bad, if you have experienced traffic in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Pathetic that San Francsico, Seattle, Boston, etc beat us out... I thought we were the Mecca of traffic congestion and these other cities were filled with mass transit options. Just shows you that perception is reality, people keep saying Atlanta traffic is the worst, so it is!

INRIX Traffic Scorecard Reports U.S. Congestion on the Rise in 2013 Following Two Years of Double-Digit Declines

Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Atlanta didn't steal anything. The citizens of Seattle did not want HRT at the time so we were next in line (Medellín: Rail Rapid Transit (Metro) Overview - Light Rail Now)

"In February 1968, the effort to implement a modern rail transit system began with a Seattle ballot measure called Forward Thrust, proposing $385 million in bonds to help fund a 47-mile, $1.15 billion rail transit system. This measure unfortunately failed, with 50.8% of the vote (60% was needed to pass). In May 1970, voters again defeated (with only 46% approval) a resubmitted package, which included $440 million in bonds for a regional transit system with 500 miles of bus routes and 49 miles of rail. Senator Warren G. Magnuson had secured nearly $900 million in federal funding to cover three-fourths of the system's total cost of $1.32 billion. Because the bond measure did not pass, the federal funding earmarked for King County was allocated to Atlanta's MARTA system instead. Voters approved an all-bus metro transit system in September 1972." [HistoryLink.org, 19 Sept. 2002]
Well of course, but we did get the federal funding meant for Seattle and Atlanta has the best HRT system in any SunBelt state.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM

119 posts, read 182,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
See LA at number 1. This is exactly what I was saying in another thread. LA traffic is 10 times worse than Atlanta traffic. There is no let-up at 6pm, there is even traffic at 3am. Atlanta has nothing more than a normal rush hour.

I think that maybe people who think Atlanta has the worst traffic have never lived in other major cities. It is by far, not anywhere near the worst, or even really bad, if you have experienced traffic in other places.
LovelySummer is dead on correct. I lived in California after college and LA and SF Bay Area traffic is WAY worse than Atlanta's. Not even close. And Seattle, DC, and Chicago is up there. Even Austin, TX has it's growing pains now with traffic.

Everyone I heard complain about Atlanta's traffic and commutes never lived in a major city other than Atlanta. An hour+ commute in LA was common.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,050,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfromJAX View Post
LovelySummer is dead on correct. I lived in California after college and LA and SF Bay Area traffic is WAY worse than Atlanta's. Not even close. And Seattle, DC, and Chicago is up there. Even Austin, TX has it's growing pains now with traffic.

Everyone I heard complain about Atlanta's traffic and commutes never lived in a major city other than Atlanta. An hour+ commute in LA was common.
It's not exactly Atlanta residents, but the city has been the poster child for traffic and long commutes for years. It's so nice not to make one of these negative lists for a change.

I don't think an hour commute in Atlanta is uncommon either, but I have always thought that LA, NYC, Chicago, and a few others had much worse traffic than Atlanta.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
NYC also has a world-class transit system too and many of it's highways are barely 2-4 lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: