Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if someday cities could be described as good destinations or places to live without having to consider such things as racial composition?
That is something we can agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Just the fact that the Atl can have a conversation like this without the MOD shutting the thread down puts Atlanta waaaaaay ahead of Charlotte as a black mecca. Try having a thread like this in Charlotte and see what happens. Nuff said!!!

Outside of the forums, Charlotte's status as a black mecca is growing and "some folks" here can't stand it. As a result, the blacks have scared the bejeezus out of "some folks" and they are now moving to towns with names like Waxhaw and Weddington in record numbers. "Some folks" have even crossed the NC/SC state line in search of their idea of a "nice" and "safe" community. The out going "some folks" coupled with the incoming blacks is changing Charlotte very fast. In 20 years, Charlotte could be the new black mecca.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-05-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTat View Post
New poster here! I have read many articles saying how the black population of Atlanta is shrinking. Its even on the wikipedia page! I am just wondering what city do you guys think will take the place of Atlanta as the "new black mecca?" I am thinking maybe Charlotte, or Dallas. Both cities saw a rise in african american population the same years Atlanta saw a decline.

I am only 16, but when I graduate college I wanna move to the new black mecca. By then (2015) Atlanta will have been dethroned. But by what city?!
WOOOOOW I leave you kids in here a couple of days and this troll pops up! ...I already know what I am about to read as far as responses to this one. This is a powerful troll, they got 7 pages of responses in 3 days OMG!!

Well....here goes time to read the replies.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Not just in Atlanta, but in big cities all over America, a specific trend has been the case pretty much across the board. Back before WW2, whites primarily lived in neighborhoods near downtown and blacks lived on the outskirts of town. Big cities were smaller then than they are now. After WW2, as blacks began to make more money and move into those neighborhoods near town, whites began to flee to the newly built suburbs, hence the phrase "white flight." When this happened, suburban homes began to be more expensive than urban homes and downtown began to die out- malls, entertainment, etc.
Ummmm..No I don't agree with this Blacks lived in the urban core just like the Whites did, they had their section of the urban core. "White flight" happened around the civil rights movement and the creation of the interstates. Blacks could not afford to move in the suburbs as you mentioned but WW2 did not effect White Flight IMO.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Ummmm..No I don't agree with this Blacks lived in the urban core just like the Whites did, they had their section of the urban core. "White flight" happened around the civil rights movement and the creation of the interstates. Blacks could not afford to move in the suburbs as you mentioned but WW2 did not effect White Flight IMO.
Actually, there were blacks after WW2 who could afford to move to the suburbs. The fact is, blacks were often unwelcomed in most suburbs. Many places like Hawthorne,Ca were sundown towns where blacks were not allowed to live. Blacks started moving to the suburbs in higher numbers in the late 1960's and after.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Just the fact that the Atl can have a conversation like this without the MOD shutting the thread down puts Atlanta waaaaaay ahead of Charlotte as a black mecca. Try having a thread like this in Charlotte and see what happens. Nuff said!!!

Infinite Co-Sign!

I have to agree, Georgia and Uncle Greg do a great job of not killing hot topics. They let them develop and everyone gets a chance to speak on things. In other cities when Black vs White, Gay vs Str8, Rich vs Poor or Young vs Old comes up, they lock the thread. Shut it down, like they are communist or something. The only other sections I would put on the Atlanta level are New York, Chicago, Philadelphia & maybe LA. The Mods here do a great job.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Ok so now I have read the topic in total. Here is something that I am figuring out about Atlanta. The successful Blacks over promo themselves here. Like they make it seem like Atlanta is the only place rich Black live. Not saying it is a bad thing, but that is what I am learning about this city. I am sure there are many rich white folks here, but they don't have the "hey look at me I'm a rich white dude" Black Mecca huh....You know what Atlanta is? Atlanta is a city that has created a culture to be black and successful. Atlanta's culture is the polar opposite of New Orleans & Detriot. Being a black person that does well is apart of the culture and it also heavily promoted. Does Charlotte or Dallas have this type of promotion? HELL NO. The Black Media loves Atlanta, Like sports media loves the Yankees, Cowboys & Lakers. If you are a sports fan, you'll understand the comparison. No matter how bad or good those teams do, they all always get press. I say Atlanta biggest rich black folk rival has to be Washington DC. In fact it cost more to live in DC so the blacks up there are richer. People would never know that because the Black Media loves Atlanta more than Washington. Will Black Media ever love another city? Of course! Someone brought up the Motown-Detriot thing in the sixties, Detriot was the Black Media's favorite at the time. I can also remember when everyone wanted to be from New York in the 80s & 90s as well. Another city will became the Black Media's favorite in time or they may share the love with another city like mainstream does New York & Los Angeles.

Is Atlanta the Black Mecca? Yes according to Black Media

What city will be the next? Not sure who Black Media will pick, maybe Houston.

Will Atlanta always be the Black Media's favorite? No

Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
It sounds like people have to agree that Atlanta is the black mecca. I see that some have issues about this whole "racial" thing. I don't think that observing a certain "racial" mecca is a bad thing as long as people still recognize that people are still people and "race" is a small part. D.C. could easily rival Atlanta. I still say Charlotte is next. It will take a while before we get the HBCU prominence that ATL has. The Morehouse and Spelman was a good point whoever brought that up. But then again D.C. has Howard.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
2dc

87 posts, read 420,098 times
As far as the black mecca I think DC is the ultimate city in which African Americans are doing great things (Obama anyone). But the cost of living is what make some think twice of moving there. That is where Atlanta comes in because folks believe that jobs are plentiful and the cost of living is low. But that isn't the case anymore because its oversaturated with newcomers. People move to the ATL thinking they will be living like kings and queens, but end up hating it because its not what they thought it would be. So the only other city that comes to mind is Houston, Tx where blacks are living well and the job market is pretty good right now. Charlotte maybe in contention as well. I LOVE Atlanta don't get me wrong, but I just wish folks would stop hyping it up to be everything to everyone. Because everything ain't for everybody...

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dc View Post
As far as the black mecca I think DC is the ultimate city in which African Americans are doing great things (Obama anyone). But the cost of living is what make some think twice of moving there. That is where Atlanta comes in because folks believe that jobs are plentiful and the cost of living is low. But that isn't the case anymore because its oversaturated with newcomers. People move to the ATL thinking they will be living like kings and queens, but end up hating it because its not what they thought it would be. So the only other city that comes to mind is Houston, Tx where blacks are living well and the job market is pretty good right now. Charlotte maybe in contention as well. I LOVE Atlanta don't get me wrong, but I just wish folks would stop hyping it up to be everything to everyone. Because everything ain't for everybody...

Obama is from chicago not DC anyway people hype things up according to there experience and people bash atlanta according to there experience Atlanta is a great place for young black professionals. The reason why it is hyped so much is because there are so many black owned buisness here in atlanta the entire gorverment in atlanta is ran by black nearly half of atlanta is black. Me myself had never seen anything like this before. This doesnt happen in miami where i am from..ALot of the black kids i went to school with left miami to go to places like houston and atlanta because they figure they have a better opprotunity in those areas after seeing how well blacks are living.. ALL these things about atlanta are somewhat true if not then people wouldnt be moving here in large numbers. Why would i move to seattle where i would pay 500,000 dollars for a 4 bed room house when i can get a 4 bedroom house here in atlanta for 150,000 to 200,000 My mother always told me get more for your money and thats why i think alot of blacks are moving to places like houston and atlanta because of that reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta