Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajjic View Post
I think it's going to be Jacksonville Florida.
I think not. Jacksonville is the inverse of atlanta in racial demographics, and grows at a rate less than half of atlanta.

Quote:
What a lot of black people don't know it's a lot of black history there. Hell one of the first black Millionaires ever Abraham Lincoln Lewis he owned american beach a place where blacks went to chill because they were not allowed to go to the other beaches.
one successful person = a lot of black history?

A.L. Lewis made his fortune in the insurance business.

Quote:
And it has a growing Hip hop scene lead by artist such as Swordz, Blakhart, The Ab's, Dukwon, Flyi DCG and More. Also some good unsigned RnB Artist there. I think that's going to be the next black hot spot in the future it's a growing city kind of like how Atlanta was before it exploded in the 90's.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
I know I am going to have several comments behind this post, but I'm gone say it anyway. Will Huntsville be close to it, maybe #10, in the future? Just asking!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM

146 posts, read 437,453 times
No way honey, Washington DC....Whoevever said Dallas should be ashamed of themselves. Dallas couldnt handle the amount of blacks that Atlanta has. They'd have a racist heart attack!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Patriot View Post
cityrover is correct. African-Americans are moving from the city limits of Atlanta to the suburbs. The reasons for this include the fact that many well-to-do people are buying older homes in inner-city neighborhoods of Atlanta and remodeling and upgrading those homes. This is making those neighborhoods look much more attractive and, therefore, property values have been rising significantly. The majority of the black population that has been living in the city in the past cannot afford the more expensive homes. And apartment and home rental costs have also risen. You couple these facts with the fact that the city of Atlanta has been razing low-income, run-down housing in recent years and not replacing that housing with affordable housing for low-income people. The people displaced from that housing cannot afford to live in the the city of Atlanta any longer and are forced to move to the suburbs where there is cheaper housing. I find it interesting that Atlanta's city government is dominated by black elected officials, including the Mayor, and it is actually these black elected officials who are causing lower-income black people to feel that they must move out of the city.
That sounds like Harlem, except they're are no lesser expensive surburbs for them to go to.

pou

Old 03-17-2009, 12:00 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
Once you go Black, you can never go back.. so I don't think Atlanta will lose its title.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:02 AM

750 posts, read 2,275,970 times
It's amusing to me that people think Atlanta has the title.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,686,650 times
Charlotte - HANDS DOWN. The Charlotte Meck school system is already majority minority. The one problem that I have is that it's mostly white and black - unlike metro atlanta where you have a lot of Asians, Indians, Africans, Europeans, etc.... Generally speaking, when a population of the just white and black exist, whites tend to flee for the next white mecca.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
There is no "black mecca" and if there is then the percentage of blacks should not determine it but how many succesful blacks there are. Even though Seattle has a black % of 9.7 most would agree a black person would fare better there than in Detroit which is over 80% black. I'm white but I woudn't want to move to Fargo because it has a high % of whites and somebody declared it the white mecca of the U.S. The best city for you is the one where you'll be the happiest.

And one more thing. Is wealth the only way to measure the success of a community? People keep saying Dekalb County has the second highest per capita income for African Americans after Prince George's County. Aren't Dekalb and PG's county plagued with high murder rates and hyper segregation? An intergrated community with low crime and a solid middle class is more successful in my book than a hypersegrated community with an elite upper class and then a lot of poor people.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I am from the DC area, PG county is a joke to african-americans in the DC area, Most of the middle-class to upper-class african-americans move to Fairfax County VA or Montgomenty County MD.

Last edited by eccentricbeethoven; 03-18-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
It really about class, not race!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Mecca isn't the best place. If you think about it, the term "Mecca" is a metaphor for where the greatest Muslim pilgrimmage in the world is. It refers to a place of cultural prominence. Cultural prominence. That manifests itself not only in food, music, clothing, and other aspects normally considered to define culture, but also in professional prominence.

Nobody calls Dallas or Charlotte black meccas because Dallas and Charlotte don't have a Morehouse College and a Spelman College and a Clark Atlanta University and a Morris Brown. Dallas and Charlotte have not had the prominence of black mayor after black mayor to the degree that Atlanta has. Dallas and Charlotte don't have the extent of black business that Atlanta has. I don't think Dallas and Charlotte even touch Atlanta on soul food restaurants. Dallas and Charlotte are not epicenters of black music like Atlanta is, with the numbers of well known black recording artists coming from or living in the city. TLC, Jermaine Dupree, Usher, Lil John, Lloyd, Outkast, etc. And now Tyler Perry is making Atlanta into an epicenter of black film. Don't expect Dallas and Charlotte to follow suit. Atlanta hosts the annual Atlanta Classic between Tennessee State University and Florida A&M University, sponsored by the 100 Black Men of Atlanta. What does Dallas and Charlotte do that is comparable?

Black mecca is about black culture. That's what you define black mecca as. And Atlanta easily beats out Dallas and Charlotte for black culture. Culture is about more than just people congregating. Therefore the phrase "black mecca" is also.
I disagree with you 100%. This is a perfect example of why Atlanta is heavily critize by the rest of the nation and get slammed on the national board. It lives in this fantasy world and tries to be something that it is not. What made Atlanta so special in the past is its rich hertiage in black culture and the civil rights movements. Instead people go there today very disappointed because black media protrayed this place as something it simply isnt. Tyler Perry, rappers, r&B singers or any other celebrity is not the idenity of Atlanta. If these folks are what Atlanta is all about it is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta