Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Black people are in my experience some of the truest Southerners. And if there's one thing I've observed almost universally about Southerners (me being almost the only exception I've ever known), they positively detest cold weather (cold being defined by anything under 30 degrees!).
Tell that to me. I'm Black and I love the cold weather. Temperatures 30 degrees F and lower make me happy because it can snow. I just enjoy snowball fights and stuff like that. I live in GA and the summers are one of the things that make me detest living in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Others that might are Charlotte, the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of Virginia(Cities like Hampton, Chesapeake, VA Beach, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, etc.), Raleigh, Nashville and if this city could get some traction Minneapolis.

A sleeper city for blacks in my opinion is Madison Wisconsin. A city of 200,000 with a legitimately diverse school district in terms of teacher, administration and students. It is the state capital and has the University of Wisconsin too. Also, it is one of the best school districts in the country and Wisconsin is one of the best states in terms of education, as is Minnesota. Here's more on the Madison Metropolitan SD:Madison Metropolitan School District , About Each School | Madison Metropolitan School District

Some more cities to consider could beenver, Seattle(has more Black men than women) and Columbus Ohio.
I have lived in the Seattle area and had a good time too. My father worked up there and he did want to stay. The thing that made him move was the expensive housing market and the fact that most of our family lives on the eastern end of the nation. My father said he found Seattle to be a nice place to live, as did my mother. I certainly loved it.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I'm black and I wouldn't mind living in a waterfront community.

I know the jokes about black women and water (uh-uh, I just got my hair done!), but I know plenty of black people who love the beach.

Now as for cold weather, I can agree with that!
That's why we'll find that most blacks would PREFER to live in the South, or the West if it wasn't so expensive. What does the South and the West have that the Northeast and Midwest don't? Warmer winter weather.

And sure, plenty of black people like to VISIT the beach. But look at beachfront communities and witness the absence of blacks. It's not unlike blacks in Atlanta with money preferring the bigger modern suburban house over the smaller old historic house when both might cost the same. But it extends not just to beaches, but to riverfronts and lakefronts as well. Black folks generally don't care anything about paying premium dollar to be in an old house or on the water.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Black people are in my experience some of the truest Southerners. And if there's one thing I've observed almost universally about Southerners (me being almost the only exception I've ever known), they positively detest cold weather (cold being defined by anything under 30 degrees!).
I have to admit I tend to agree with your 30 degree definition even more than the 25 one I gave!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Actually, the African-American population in the TC area has increasing alot since the 1980's. You have African-Americans moving from places like Ohio and Illinois moving the St.Paul and Mpls. Yes, blacks have been moving south recently, but many blacks have gone further north too.
They forgot to pack their compass.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
They forgot to pack their compass.
Not funny! People migrate for different reasons. If it were up to me right now and I had the money, I would be headed for Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver, or somewhere in Canada.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
That's why we'll find that most blacks would PREFER to live in the South, or the West if it wasn't so expensive. What does the South and the West have that the Northeast and Midwest don't? Warmer winter weather.

And sure, plenty of black people like to VISIT the beach. But look at beachfront communities and witness the absence of blacks. It's not unlike blacks in Atlanta with money preferring the bigger modern suburban house over the smaller old historic house when both might cost the same. But it extends not just to beaches, but to riverfronts and lakefronts as well. Black folks generally don't care anything about paying premium dollar to be in an old house or on the water.
Well actually blacks are leaving the west

Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Actually, the African-American population in the TC area has increasing alot since the 1980's. You have African-Americans moving from places like Ohio and Illinois moving the St.Paul and Mpls. Yes, blacks have been moving south recently, but many blacks have gone further north too.
Don't forget the rather large Somali population in the Twin Cities, too.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well actually blacks are leaving the west
Yep. My relatives in California talk constantly about friends of there's that have left to move to the south.

When blacks started leaving LA in the 90's, the migration pattern was to the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino) and Las Vega$ has been a popular destination as well.

I've also noticed that Dallas and Houston are popular destinations for Black Californians. There has always been a sort of back-and-forth migration for blacks between Texas and Cali, but now the trend is moving from Cali to the South.

It goes without saying that Atlanta has been a popular destination as well. At the church I go to, the pastor once asked how many people were from California and about 200 hands raised up (big church).

Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Straight arrogance. I have never seen people from one city bash other cities so much. However I do like the ATL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta