Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times

Advertisements

atlantaATL, I would not use Clayton County as an example. That is NOT a place know for its successful blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
What if the black percentage in Atlanta Fulton Co. is shrinking NOT because blacks are leaving but because all the new housing being built therein is dense, expensive condos which primarily only more affluent whites are buying? Arguably most of these whites already live in the metro, but see a chance to move downtown, or in the vicinity of downtown. It probably wouldn't change blacks' prominence in the area, nor the prosperity, nor the existence of HCBUs, nor the enterntainment presence.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
atlantaATL, I would not use Clayton County as an example. That is NOT a place know for its successful blacks.

Well where i stay in College park is Clayton county and there are alot of upscale nieghborhoods that are black i dont know if you detoured the whole county but where iu stay there is

Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman12 View Post
Does anybody know how kawanza got started
Google is your friend.

Kwanzaa - Google Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
I mean do you guys read? Dallas and Charlotte have been on Black Enterprises list of top 5 cities for African Americans for the past 8 years!! And yet yall say we hate on the ATL in Charlotte!!

Last edited by qc dreamin; 01-12-2009 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
I did not know Dallas was that good for blacks.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Maybe the part of College Park in Fulton County, but the part of it near Riverdale Road was like being in a tough part of Atlanta. I used to drive through there all the time when I worked at the airport and would eat lunch in the area (American Sandwich). Just about all of the businesses had bars on the windows and several of the houses had graffiti on the sides of them and boards on the windows. I can not recall a time I went through there when I did not see at least 3 or 4 cop cars stopped with there weapons drawn on someone near the side of the road. Maybe downtown College Park, but anything near North Clayton High school not so much.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Maybe the part of College Park in Fulton County, but the part of it near Riverdale Road was like being in a tough part of Atlanta. I used to drive through there all the time when I worked at the airport and would eat lunch in the area (American Sandwich). Just about all of the businesses had bars on the windows and several of the houses had graffiti on the sides of them and boards on the windows. I can not recall a time I went through there when I did not see at least 3 or 4 cop cars stopped with there weapons drawn on someone near the side of the road. Maybe downtown College Park, but anything near North Clayton High school not so much.
They just built a new upscale Community right in the Back of my Apartments and my apartments arent in a ghetto And i Barely See Cops over here

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
They just built a new upscale Community right in the Back of my Apartments and my apartments arent in a ghetto And i Barely See Cops over here
Don't even try to convince people if they don't believe you...it's so retarded for someone to adamantly tell you what the area is like where YOU live. I get the same thing on this site about living in East Point. Let them keep on with their misconceptions that come from reading the AJC and watching the news - if it's south of the city it MUST be a dangerous ghetto. The only way they can really be enlightened is to take a more in depth tour of the areas in question - and not along the highway or a main thorougfare - but into the neighborhoods and areas that they've never seen before...those are the real definition of the area.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Don't even try to convince people if they don't believe you...it's so retarded for someone to adamantly tell you what the area is like where YOU live. I get the same thing on this site about living in East Point. Let them keep on with their misconceptions that come from reading the AJC and watching the news - if it's south of the city it MUST be a dangerous ghetto. The only way they can really be enlightened is to take a more in depth tour of the areas in question - and not along the highway or a main thorougfare - but into the neighborhoods and areas that they've never seen before...those are the real definition of the area.
And you are right because my Moms best friend lives in a very nice 5 bedroom home she had rebuilt. Its over in eastpoint on here street alone there are a bunch of old homes that were remodeled. There are lots of places that i can take people in Clayton county and there faces will drop when they see the communtys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta