Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No, that's pretty much the established realistic belief.
Established by who, you?
Quote:
I can not imagine what else would constitute a cultural mecca in the United States.
Since when does material attainment or status have anything to do with being a cultural mecca? Try again.

Quote:
LOL, believe whatever you want but that is not true. The fact is that you have not met me in person so you frankly have no idea who or what I am and what I believe.

I do enjoy the juxtaposition of this paragraph with the previous though. You were oh so offended when I suggested some white people (not all, nor you as I have no idea if you think that way) have a distinct fear of going into black neighborhoods because they fear for their safety (falsely) because of the color of their skin alone.
Nope. I wasn't offended. I know white people feel that way, and many would argue that the feeling is justified. The only reason I commented on it is that you claim to be the expert on what it feels like to be white in a high crime locale. Oh yeah, your friend says... right...

Quote:
Yet you seem to think you are not being hypocritical by specifically saying what I, waronxmas, personally believes in backed up with zero fact or anecdotal evidence.
The anecdotal evidence is the posts you make here on C-D. That is enough to base my assumptions of the waronxmas C-D member, even if it's not the real person.

Quote:
Then you proceeded to say that there is some sort of black group think (whatever that is) and that I "do not harbor the feelings that an Asian or mixed person would harbor"? Seriously, wtf? Are you some sort of raceologist that has a super secret guide book on how all people of a specific ethnicity and background act? Where do you get off telling me how I am supposed to conduct myself based on whom my ancestors are?
I am being blunt. Some of the comments you have made on this site would never come out of an Asian person's mouth. They just wouldn't. It doesn't take raceology to figure out that there is a different belief system between most black people and most Asian people. When was the last time you heard an Asian person talking about civil war reparations? Please.

Quote:
Contrary to whatever crazy ideas you were exposed to during your upbringing,
I had an awesome upbringing. I wasn't exposed to any crazy ideas, although I have read everything from Alice Walker to Ernest Hemingway.

Quote:
thoughts are held by individuals. I'm entitled to believe whatever I want to believe just like you are and what I look like has no bearing on that. I am a citizen and a free man so I can think and believe in anything I damn well please thank you very much.
Agreed. But when did I tell you what to believe? I didn't come up with the uniform set of responses or apply the pressure to conform to them.

Quote:
Besides, why are you trying to use Asians as a wedge issue in this thread? Why don't talk about your own folks and get off our jock?
I am using Atlanta's Asian Mecca-ness (which I believe it is) to prove my point, illustrated below your quoted text:

Quote:
I am not Waronxmas king of the black folk, so I can't tell you why someone else decided to do that. I can tell you that many people on this thread have continuously stated that they are proud of how much the Asian community has grown here. From my perspective as an Asian and as an Atlantan, the very idea of Atlanta having a million plus Asian residents and called an "Asian Mecca" one day makes my want to dance for joy. I literally can not wait for the day when that happens and if I had the power to make it true tomorrow, I would. Several other posters on this thread have stated the same sentiment. Of course, you will conveniently ignore this paragraph just as you have ignored the other statements to the same effect.
Point: not one self-proclaimed black poster has acknowledged that Atlanta, in 2011, is an Asian Mecca. Even you, a half-Asian, copped out. You came close, but I guess the pressure is just too much. You settled for a Future Asian Mecca.

However, we see multiple posters who claim, in their opinion, that Atlanta is an Asian Mecca. I am not sure what the races are of all those people, but they don't identify as black.

Rhetorical Question: Why can non-black posters think Atlanta is an Asian Mecca, but not a single black poster in this thread can? I am genuinely interested. People will come close... they will celebrate Asians, or acknowledge their growth/prescense, or proclaim a bright future, but they will not call Atlanta an Asian Mecca. The only group that they bestow the "mecca" title on is blacks. What explains the discrepancy?

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 05-20-2011 at 03:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 02:47 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Please tell me more about what's black group-think? Posters have told you about racist hasty gernerzation like this before, why do you keep this? Also you know what's a black view is? And waronxmas view is black side dominant? waronxmas has intense towards whites? Do you read what your trying?

Also um no, you have resentment blacks. Here's a tip believing blacks generally have intense resentment towards whites is just as racist as some black who has intense resentment towards whites. The flaw is hasty generalizing I know you believe in reverse racism so I put like this many posters see you as a reverse, reverse racist. Again the flaw is hasty generalizing. There sadly black, white, purple, pink individual racists but if someone believe a group is largely racist then they're racist.

But I don’t know why I’m trying to rational with you, you try to spin the term black Mecca as hateful when you don’t want Muslim in Atlanta and etc. Then you say posters have resentment towards whites when you have no ground to say, the posters your arguing with aren’t saying racist stuff towards. And your right the term is opinion so your spin is more of what’s in your mind. Your a dualist, many are racist are. The term black Mecca is Black Atlantans vs. blacks in other cities, Atlanta’s black population often ranks well compared to blacks in different US cities as well as the world. But you term this into Black Atlantans vs. other Atlanta. If these posters were racist they would agree with your definition and boast it, not argue with you over the meaning. A racist person might have racist view of that term.
Say whaaat? Besides calling me a racist (yawn), I can't comprehend this post.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
That's because they don't actually it believe. and realize there stereotype. for instance let's say someone black say blacks don't play soccer there just stating a common stereotype, other wise just talking. But they're not going to ration that as a fact. The problem is if some comes and try to take it to the heart beyond a stereotype but as scientific truth.

"black people see Place Y as special" if that was refering to the black mecca the samething, Atlanta is common in the black dominate media, let me remind you it’s a nick name their nothing scientific about it. but Atlanta is rank high in many field regarding blacks, Atlanta has 2nd largest population, Georgia has largest black population, Georgia has largest percentage of black own business, Atlanta is 3rd in black higher education student, top 5 in affluent blacks. This doesn’t mean every one black will like it here. But some of that cause the black dominate media to be here, i'm mean why seattle?
Okay. It just seems to odd to insist there's no "group think" among blacks but then turn around and talk about what black folks think.

By the way, I don't believe "group think" is by any means unique to any demographic. To the contrary, it seems pretty common to me. While a given idea may not apply to every individual in a certain group, that doesn't negate the existence of generally shared preferences, beliefs and behaviors.

So what? What's wrong, for example, with blacks deciding that Atlanta is great place to live and referring to it as a Mecca? Atlanta has long been a magnet for whites, so why can't blacks view it the same way? Or Asians, Hispanics or anybody else? Atlanta is a beacon to a whole lot of people and that dynamism is one of its signature qualities. We're constantly evolving, and that's a good thing.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Say whaaat? Besides calling me a racist (yawn), I can't comprehend this post.
I sorry if logic is too above you but comprehend this.
Hasty generalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...ed=0CDUQygQwAg

Fallacy: Hasty Generalization

but also
Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism...osophy_of_mind)

Old 05-20-2011, 07:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
I don't know why you guys keep arguing with cobain. That's just what he wants you to do. Ignore his silly arguments.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I don't know why you guys keep arguing with cobain. That's just what he wants you to do. Ignore his silly arguments.
A little bit of fun, a little bit of not letting bigotry off the hook. There is a third, less realistic goal/hope, that BBC would hopefully change his world view and stop framing every single thing in terms of race. Inside every bigot is a human being trying to get out.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
waronxmas, I don't want to get into this dispute between you and BBC, but this caught my eye. I have several times heard black people object to being lumped together, while at the same time saying things like "black folks don't like X" or "black people see Place Y as special."

Personally I don't have a problem with people having shared beliefs. However, it seems odd to say they do while insisting that they don't.
It's not so much group think as it is people talking about cultural norms. More so than every other group in American, native born African-Americans as a whole share pretty much the same culture North, South, East, West. The same can not be said about other groups since they are more influenced by their ethnic group or nation of origin. This is even true for native Africans in this country as well as other groups here in the African diaspora from the rest of the Americas (Haitians are a fine example).

Why is it this way? Back during the time of slavery, the slave owners removed any vestige of the former culture. The barred any usage of their native language, cultural traditions, religion and punished anyone who disobeyed them some times with death. In it's place, a new culture was inserted that was based around the color of their skin. Once slavery was over and the now freedmen were free to decided things for themselves, the culture they had all come from had all but disappeared over the centuries.

The former slaves could not point to a specific place in Africa from where they people came from because it had been so long, no one no longer remembered. Not to mention that due to slave traders "breeding" slaves, no one person was from a single place in Africa.

Thus, with no idea of what culture their ancestors came from, the freedmen fell back on the only thing they knew: framing their experience in terms of the color of their skin. So when you hear some one say "Black people like..." they don't literally mean any person with African heritage, they mean any one who is descended from slaves. Get it?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:53 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
...not letting bigotry off the hook...
This.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
That's because they don't actually it believe. and realize there stereotype. for instance let's say someone black say blacks don't play soccer there just stating a common stereotype, other wise just talking. But they're not going to ration that as a fact. The problem is if some comes and try to take it to the heart beyond a stereotype but as scientific truth.

"black people see Place Y as special" if that was refering to the black mecca the samething, Atlanta is common in the black dominate media, let me remind you it’s a nick name their nothing scientific about it. but Atlanta is rank high in many field regarding blacks, Atlanta has 2nd largest population, Georgia has largest black population, Georgia has largest percentage of black own business, Atlanta is 3rd in black higher education student, top 5 in affluent blacks. This doesn’t mean every one black will like it here. But some of that cause the black dominate media to be here, i'm mean why seattle?
"why Seattle?"

Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay. It just seems to odd to insist there's no "group think" among blacks but then turn around and talk about what black folks think.
Cause blacks are restating stereotypes, people use stereotypes commonly to cognate the world but that's not the same thing as saying the stereotypes is true.

The thing with BCC here is he really believe that's there's a "black agenda" ) And blacks have resentment towards whites. Basically he believe blacks generally are reverse racists, when actually he’s a reverse, reverse racist sort of speak.

Quote:
By the way, I don't believe "group think" is by any means unique to any demographic. To the contrary, it seems pretty common to me. While a given idea may not apply to every individual in a certain group, that doesn't negate the existence of generally shared preferences, beliefs and behaviors.
I believe it exist, I just don't believe it applied to race, race itself is unscientific. Also shared preferences, beliefs and behaviors is culture, group think requires a higher level cohesiveness.

Quote:
So what? What's wrong, for example, with blacks deciding that Atlanta is great place to live and referring to it as a Mecca? Atlanta has long been a magnet for whites, so why can't blacks view it the same way? Or Asians, Hispanics or anybody else? Atlanta is a beacon to a whole lot of people and that dynamism is one of its signature qualities. We're constantly evolving, and that's a good thing.

) back, BBC does this because of a deeper view no one is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta