Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 10:09 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post

Your barking up the WRONG tree. I have no problems with blackness. Atlanta is a black mecca, everyone gets that. But it is also an Asian mecca and a Hispanic mecca, for the same reasons. It seems like YOU are the one with the problem of Atlanta being a Hispanic Mecca and Asian Mecca.

People! STOP denying what is in front of you. Think of it as adding another layer to a cake. Its not taking ANYTHING away, its only adding! There is no need to be scared of the future.

No, my brother...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/19219919-post499.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:10 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:

Your barking up the WRONG tree. I have no problems with blackness. Atlanta is a black mecca, everyone gets that. But it is also an Asian mecca and a Hispanic mecca, for the same reasons. It seems like YOU are the one with the problem of Atlanta being a Hispanic Mecca and Asian Mecca.

People! STOP denying what is in front of you. Think of it as adding another layer to a cake. Its not taking ANYTHING away, its only adding! There is no need to be scared of the future.
Look at it this way
Alonzo Herndon-First Black millionaire of Atlanta

Born in 1858 on a Georgia plantation, Alonzo was seven years old when the Civil War was over.

At age 20 in Senoia, Georgia, he learned the barbering trade and was able to rent his own space in a barbershop and then open a small barbershop in Jonesboro. Being offered a position by the black proprietor of Dougherty Hutchins' barbershop, catering to a wealthy, white clientele, Herndon moved to Atlanta. In less than a year he was made a partner and the shop's name was changed to Hutchins & Herndon. Three years later, in 1886, Herndon rented a shop of his own and one year later moved to the city's prestigious Markham House Hotel. In 1896 the beautiful Markham Hotel burned down, leading Herndon to open another shop.

In 1893, he married a young woman from Atlanta's old black elite--Adrienne Elizabeth McNeil, a graduate and a faculty member of Atlanta University teaching elocution and drama.

In 1905, Herndon was approached by two prominent black church pastors. One of them, Rev. Peter Bryant of Wheat Street Baptist Church, had recently formed the Atlanta Benevolent & Protective Association, and was in dire need of capital. Herndon agreed to buy and reorganize the company. The company was renamed Atlanta Mutual Insurance Association and later it would gain fame as the Atlanta Life Insurance Company. Herndon was named its first president. Throughout the next year several branch offices were opened in Georgia. An editor of the Atlanta Independent newspaper, wrote, "When people buy a policy in Atlanta Life they are buying Alonzo Herndon." In 1920, the company moved its headquarters to 148 Auburn Avenue.

Herndon headed Atlanta Life for 22 years and expanded operations into six other southern states.

Quote:
“One of the things that distinguishes Atlanta from other cities is the rise of the black middle class,” says Mark McDonald, CEO and president of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. “Alonzo Herndon’s story is at the center of that.” The Herndon Home is a monument to “black achievement, not only for the owner . . . but also for the black artisans who worked on the house. It’s an incredible story. It’s an American story.”
Quote:
Built in 1910 and located at 587 University Place NW in the Vine City neighborhood, it was declared a National Historic Landmark in 2000.[2][3] It had previously been declared a "landmark building exterior" by the city of Atlanta in 1989

Quote:
The Herndon home is a two-story, 15-room Beaux Arts mansion built by local black craftsmen. The formally composed building is constructed with multi-colored brick, and features a two-story entry portico supported by Corinthian columns. One-story porches to each side of the building echo this theme in brick piers and wooden capitals. An elliptical fanlight over the main entrance and the balustrade above the full entablature of the building's cornice add a distinctly Georgian Revival flavor to this imposing residence

There are not many places in America where history and culture of minority is so evident in the foundation of a city.From institution like the Atlanta University CEnter which is the largest of its type in North America.Education African Americans since the end of slavery.One of th institution built entirely by freed black slaves.

Its a rarty that a city has this much history by A.A. that showcase the plight of dispair to limitless heights.This is why that term black mecca was even suggest for Atlanta "unofficially".

San Fran and L.A. have similar histories for Asians and Hispanics .This why this term is more appropriate.Asian and Hispanic culture is not as representative of the history and culture of this region just black cuture is not as prominent in Seattle or Portland

Atlanta Life Insurance company THEN:

and TODAY

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 AM

187 posts, read 404,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Look at it this way
Alonzo Herndon-First Black millionaire of Atlanta

Born in 1858 on a Georgia plantation, Alonzo was seven years old when the Civil War was over.

At age 20 in Senoia, Georgia, he learned the barbering trade and was able to rent his own space in a barbershop and then open a small barbershop in Jonesboro. Being offered a position by the black proprietor of Dougherty Hutchins' barbershop, catering to a wealthy, white clientele, Herndon moved to Atlanta. In less than a year he was made a partner and the shop's name was changed to Hutchins & Herndon. Three years later, in 1886, Herndon rented a shop of his own and one year later moved to the city's prestigious Markham House Hotel. In 1896 the beautiful Markham Hotel burned down, leading Herndon to open another shop.

In 1893, he married a young woman from Atlanta's old black elite--Adrienne Elizabeth McNeil, a graduate and a faculty member of Atlanta University teaching elocution and drama.

In 1905, Herndon was approached by two prominent black church pastors. One of them, Rev. Peter Bryant of Wheat Street Baptist Church, had recently formed the Atlanta Benevolent & Protective Association, and was in dire need of capital. Herndon agreed to buy and reorganize the company. The company was renamed Atlanta Mutual Insurance Association and later it would gain fame as the Atlanta Life Insurance Company. Herndon was named its first president. Throughout the next year several branch offices were opened in Georgia. An editor of the Atlanta Independent newspaper, wrote, "When people buy a policy in Atlanta Life they are buying Alonzo Herndon." In 1920, the company moved its headquarters to 148 Auburn Avenue.

Herndon headed Atlanta Life for 22 years and expanded operations into six other southern states.

There are not many places in America where history and culture of minority is so evident in the foundation of a city.From institution like the Atlanta University CEnter which is the largest of its type in North America.Education African Americans since the end of slavery.One of th institution built entirely by freed black slaves.

Its a rarty that a city has this much history by A.A. that showcase the plight of dispair to limitless heights.This is why that term black mecca was even suggest for Atlanta "unofficially".

San Fran and L.A. have similar histories for Asians and Hispanics .This why this term is more appropriate.Asian and Hispanic culture is not as representative of the history and culture of this region just black cuture is not as prominent in Seattle or Portland
But no one said Atlanta is not a black mecca. What is the issue?

And besides, Asians and Hispanics have only been coming to this country for 40 years. Give them a chance! They have already built up a vast and rich cultural tradition here in Atlanta.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM

187 posts, read 404,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Im confused and not really sure what your trying to communicate. I read his post and responded.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/19220096-post500.html

People! Embrace Contemporary Atlanta: an Black, Asian, and Hispanic Mecca. Consider yourself lucky to live in a city like this!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Quote:

People! Embrace Contemporary Atlanta: an Black, Asian, and Hispanic Mecca. Consider yourself lucky to live in a city like this!
Okay you are being a drama queen now. GA is a Republican state for crying out loud, if it bugs you that much you can find some good land in Milledgeville or somewhere...

Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:

Im confused and not really sure what your trying to communicate. I read his post ...
Because AlGreen said exactly what I would've said--and he responded before I had the the chance.

No need to type/say the exact same thing again.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
@kirkwoodhipster – You’re wasting your time. These posters think of Atlanta as “theirs”, and they are threatened by the idea of Atlanta being known for something other than blackness. It bothers them to no end, which is why you see these intricate and detailed posts. Then they start to admit that Atlanta may be a mecca for other groups, but it’s not as much as a mecca as it is for us blacks.

@ Algreen, Aries, Afonega. You people act like mecca-status is some legitimate title bestowed by an official organization. What a joke! Are you f’in kidding me? It is a term coined by the national media, and a term that is being used less and less. Do a google news search of the term if you don’t believe it.

Do you not realize how selfish and self-centered you are? Here people are excited about Asians and Hispanics and whites and what they have contributed to Atlanta and you come right back with a put-down: “well, they haven’t done as much as us blacks”, “well, Atlanta will always be a place for us”, “yeah, big deal, no media is talking about you, they only talk about us.” I mean seriously it is pathetic to watch.

I wasn’t kidding about the 3-year-old having to share his toy with other kids analogy. It really works perfect: Atlanta is the toy, the black posters in this thread are the 3-year-olds, and the other kids are whites, Asians, and Hispanics. Sad thing is, just like the 3-year-old, they can throw a temper tantrum, but it’s not going to change the fact that they are going to have to share that toy.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb The Captain Weighs In...

Quote:
But no one said Atlanta is not a black mecca. What is the issue?

And besides, Asians and Hispanics have only been coming to this country for 40 years. Give them a chance! They have already built up a vast and rich cultural tradition here in Atlanta.
And let it be known, I speak from the perspective of a (black) non-resident...

I honestly believe you're missing the point here, so I'll get to basics...the term 'Black Mecca' was indded coined in a magazine article somewhere back in (I believe) the 80's...said term was coined because, even today, Atlanta is a magnet for black business and entertainemnt professionals, athletes, and just regular folks wanting a new and possibly better life for themselves and their children...

Several HBCU's (historically black colleges and universities) are located within Atlanta proper, as are Georgia Tech and Georgia State...Atlanta is known as a major destination for concerts and the like in the black community as well...

I say this to point out one inescapable fact...not one preson in the black community, is laying awake somewhere in a James Brown-like cold sweat, having conniption fits because Asians, Hispanics, Marshamallow People from Ookabolaponga,or whomever, find Atlanta to be a desirable location...not one...I honestly think all this unfounded fear rises from some stereotype that there are large angry black men, standing at all entry points to Atlanta, wearing sandwich boards that say 'ATLANTA = BLACKS ONLY!!! ALL OTHERS NEED NOT APPLY!!!'

Do you realize how utterly absurd even thinking about that last line I typed must be? I REALLY don't think that black folk have a problem with others finding Atlanta desirable...I think a lot of it stems from people subscribing to old, cobweb-encrusted sterotypes that frankly need to be put out of their misery (stereotypes, not people LOL)...

Bottom line? Atlanta is EVERYBODY'S city...true, there IS a great deal of black history tied in to Atlanta's growth, and a lot of blacks still find it a desirable location, but please please please (another James Brown reference) show me ANYWHERE that states that other ethnicities don't have an equal stake in the city's future, or find Atlanta equally desirable

Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
@kirkwoodhipster – You’re wasting your time. These posters think of Atlanta as “theirs”, and they are threatened by the idea of Atlanta being known for something other than blackness. It bothers them to no end, which is why you see these intricate and detailed posts. Then they start to admit that Atlanta may be a mecca for other groups, but it’s not as much as a mecca as it is for us blacks.

@ Algreen, Aries, Afonega. You people act like mecca-status is some legitimate title bestowed by an official organization. What a joke! Are you f’in kidding me? It is a term coined by the national media, and a term that is being used less and less. Do a google news search of the term if you don’t believe it.

Do you not realize how selfish and self-centered you are? Here people are excited about Asians and Hispanics and whites and what they have contributed to Atlanta and you come right back with a put-down: “well, they haven’t done as much as us blacks”, “well, Atlanta will always be a place for us”, “yeah, big deal, no media is talking about you, they only talk about us.” I mean seriously it is pathetic to watch.

I wasn’t kidding about the 3-year-old having to share his toy with other kids analogy. It really works perfect: Atlanta is the toy, the black posters in this thread are the 3-year-olds, and the other kids are whites, Asians, and Hispanics. Sad thing is, just like the 3-year-old, they can throw a temper tantrum, but it’s not going to change the fact that they are going to have to share that toy.
You are misguided and misinformed.

I know you hate the idea of blacks actually having a large historical impact on a city, but it's a fact. Whether you like it or not.

I promise you, black people aren't "worried" or having "temper tantrums" because the population of other races is rising. Perhaps you feel that way because that's exactly what you would do yourself? When people make unsubstantial accusations it's normally because they're guilty of what they're accusing.

But I'm sure you know us better than we know ourselves?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Because AlGreen said exactly what I would've said--and he responded before I had the the chance.

No need to type/say the exact same thing again.
Lol I've washed my hands of this entire matter. I already did what I said I wasn't going to do, and that's repeat myself over and over. They're not putting much effort into trying to understand what we're saying, and will believe what they want anyway, so...I guess we'll just have to be the greedy blacks wanting to keep Atlanta all to ourselves *shrug*...oh well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta