Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The ATL makes the front page of today's New York Times:

For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South

Arjyay, you're going to rile up a few C-D'ers with this article. They know who they are. They tend to come in packs, but a few of them have been MIA.

You just had to ruin their day. I think you're doing it on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Arjyay, you're going to rile up a few C-D'ers with this article. They know who they are. They tend to come in packs, but a few of them have been MIA.

Oh, now, MisterNY. It's not every day that our humble burg makes the front page of the New York Times!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Oh, now, MisterNY. It's not every day that our humble burg makes the front page of the New York Times!
True!!! That may still make some unhappy.

No matter how hard one tries, some are never satisfied.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:

What an interesting story. Not for it's content alone, but the parallels to my mother's family. Her parents were from rural Georgia and moved to New York City in the 1930s to get away from the lynching and segregation. The eventually settled in Queens (around the same area the people in the story are from) and her and my father relocated to Atlanta in the 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

Yup, I mean it only confirms what people said rather than that weird conspiracy theory some have pushed making it seemed like there was some dark (BLACK) cabal pushing the false idea Atlanta is ground zero for African-Americans.

Of course if they took their head out of the sand they'd see that in the last 30 years the growth of the black population here has been around 1.3 million. That's not all from births, people are coming here from other places in large numbers and not by coincidence.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
hopefully someone else can take that label away from here, its starting to become a black eye.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What an interesting story. Not for it's content alone, but the parallels to my mother's family. Her parents were from rural Georgia and moved to New York City in the 1930s to get away from the lynching and segregation. The eventually settled in Queens (around the same area the people in the story are from) and her and my father relocated to Atlanta in the 70s.
Interesting, waronxmas, and not an uncommon story at all. In the first half of the 20th century, rural Georgia was not a good place for African Americans. It's a horrifying statistic but our state was second only to Mississippi in the number of lynchings.

For all our ups and downs, it's remarkable that the Atlanta area has made so much progress on racial issues. We still have lots of unsolved problems but we have at least engaged the issues. The discussions on this board are a good example. I've personally learned a lot from them.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Interesting, waronxmas, and not an uncommon story at all. In the first half of the 20th century, rural Georgia was not a good place for African Americans. It's a horrifying statistic but our state was second only to Mississippi in the number of lynchings.

For all our ups and downs, it's remarkable that the Atlanta area has made so much progress on racial issues. We still have lots of unsolved problems but we have at least engaged the issues. The discussions on this board are a good example. I've personally learned a lot from them.
Thanks for posting, Arjay. I think this speaks terrifically for our neck of the woods (particularly given the spate of recent negative media coverage). It feels good to know that we can still attract young professional and well-to-do retirees to our city. Nothing but good can be implied from that.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 PM

14 posts, read 22,615 times
Quote:

The NYT just doesnt get it.

People are heading to the South for a new life, cheaper housing, and more economic opportunity. These people include Americans of all stripes (whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians) as well as immigrants of all nationalities (Chinese, Mongolian, Russian, Nigerian, Colombian, Phillipino). Why the article chose to single us out is bothersome.

Oh yeah, one more thing. "The ATL" was not on the cover - the South was. Lose the ego!

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Funny, if you read the comments, alot of the same people post here or have in the past.

No surprise people are still moving here especially when you reach retirement.

With the tolls, taxes and power going up in the Mid-Atlantic, alot more people will be leaving as well.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta