Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,069,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
This analogy is ridiculous. People's religious beliefs have nothing to do with their desire to leave Fulton County. I can guarantee you that some of the most enthusiastic supporters of creating a Milton County are secular libertarians like Clint Eastwood who want a smaller government. Some fundamentalist Christians might have reservations about it, too, as their concern for the poor would be a consideration as a consequence would be what will happen to Grady Hospital which serves the indigent. Remember the most generous state in the country is Mississippi and the least generous is affluent, secular Connetticut.

Your statement about fundamentalist Christians says more about you than them as it just shows your own animosity towards those who have a different belief system than yours.

There is another elephant in the room regarding North Fulton leaving Fulton County and that is the impact that it will have on Buckhead residents who face jury trials. In the recent State Senate District 6 election, at least one of the Republican candidates expressed opposition to creating a Milton County due to the imapct it would have on jury pools in the future, smaller, Fulton County. The jury pool in the resulting smaller Fulton County would be considerably more liberal and probably a little less receptive to the claims of the affluent in Buckhead than a jury pool which can also draw from Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta and Johns Creek in the present Fulton County. For this reason alone, It would not surprise me if the Buckhead, Downtown and Midtown business communities make a strong case against Milton County for the reason of the jury pool in the court system.
You talk like Milton County is still a possibility...it ain't happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,904,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
This analogy is ridiculous. People's religious beliefs have nothing to do with their desire to leave Fulton County. I can guarantee you that some of the most enthusiastic supporters of creating a Milton County are secular libertarians like Clint Eastwood who want a smaller government. Some fundamentalist Christians might have reservations about it, too, as their concern for the poor would be a consideration as a consequence would be what will happen to Grady Hospital which serves the indigent. Remember the most generous state in the country is Mississippi and the least generous is affluent, secular Connetticut.

Your statement about fundamentalist Christians says more about you than them as it just shows your own animosity towards those who have a different belief system than yours.
i know what i'm talking about... believe me, i've been there, having been brought up in a fundamentalist christian church. there is no love for the poor in those sorts of denominations, only concern for potential conversion. "salvation by grace" is what they like to call it, meaning you can do whatever the hell you want to do to anybody and as long as you have the secret password to get into heaven (it's "jesus"!), you're doing just fine.

i'm not making fun of anyone's belief system, i believe very strongly in G-d and don't claim to have a set of beliefs that is better than anyone else's... but when you see a community that celebrates the values of personal wealth and disparages everyone who doesn't have a perfect family, everyone who is poor or supports taking care of the environment or any person who does not meet their long list of requirements for the ideal person— i don't care if they're a church. they are not preaching G-d's commandments to love their neighbours, and by using G-d's name to support their ideology they are directly violating the third commandment. if they want to be jerks, so be it, but when they throw in G-d's name they've passed the point of civility for me.

i'm not talking about all christians, or all right wing christians. i'm talking about the socially elite brand of conservative christianity that has become so popular in the last 30-40 years and was very popular in the alpharetta area (and still is, but less so).

i could spit out a few names you know you're attending this type of church when they won't hold a funeral for a member because the demand is too high, you're afraid to discuss your political leanings, or if the pastor left the entire church would fall apart because he's the only reason people go.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,904,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i know what i'm talking about... believe me, i've been there, having been brought up in a fundamentalist christian church. there is no love for the poor in those sorts of denominations, only concern for potential conversion. "salvation by grace" is what they like to call it, meaning you can do whatever the hell you want to do to anybody and as long as you have the secret password to get into heaven (it's "jesus"!), you're doing just fine.

i'm not making fun of anyone's belief system, i believe very strongly in G-d and don't claim to have a set of beliefs that is better than anyone else's... but when you see a community that celebrates the values of personal wealth and disparages everyone who doesn't have a perfect family, everyone who is poor or supports taking care of the environment or any person who does not meet their long list of requirements for the ideal person— i don't care if they're a church. they are not preaching G-d's commandments to love their neighbours, and by using G-d's name to support their ideology they are directly violating the third commandment. if they want to be jerks, so be it, but when they throw in G-d's name they've passed the point of civility for me.

i'm not talking about all christians, or all right wing christians. i'm talking about the socially elite brand of conservative christianity that has become so popular in the last 30-40 years and was very popular in the alpharetta area (and still is, but less so).

i could spit out a few names you know you're attending this type of church when they won't hold a funeral for a member because the demand is too high, you're afraid to discuss your political leanings, or if the pastor left the entire church would fall apart because he's the only reason people go.
You need to get out more on a Sunday morning. This is NOT the type of church I grew up in nor have attended, and I have been to many that would be considered consevative evangelical Christian. My parents, my extended family, the majority of the town I grew up in and most every town in central and western Georgia were built by people considered conservative evangelical Christians. Yes, there are some charlatans here and there but all in all you are lumping almost everyone I respect and was mentored by into one negative stereotype.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You need to get out more on a Sunday morning. This is NOT the type of church I grew up in nor have attended, and I have been to many that would be considered consevative evangelical Christian. My parents, my extended family, the majority of the town I grew up in and most every town in central and western Georgia were built by people considered conservative evangelical Christians. Yes, there are some charlatans here and there but all in all you are lumping almost everyone I respect and was mentored by into one negative stereotype.

what i wrote:

"the people who were pushing it were your more fundamentalist christian, upper middle class types."

"i'm not talking about all christians, or all right wing christians. i'm talking about the socially elite brand of conservative christianity that has become so popular in the last 30-40 years and was very popular in the alpharetta area (and still is, but less so)."

i'm not talking about traditional baptists and methodists, i'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,159,215 times
Quote:

Jewish...right?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Jewish...right?
...is it that obvious?

l'shanah tovah!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM

119 posts, read 302,850 times
Quote:
...is it that obvious?

l'shanah tovah!
So how did you go from being raised in a "fundamentalist christian church" to becoming jewish?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,444,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
They aren't the only ones who feel that they get little bang for their tax bucks...those of us in the rest of Fulton County don't get much for ours either. We all pay taxes, but there isn't always equal distribution for what we pay in.
Yep, Joe. You are dead on here. If I think about it too much, my blood boils.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM

32,039 posts, read 36,931,592 times
I don't even want all my tax money. It's okay with me if most of it goes elsewhere in the county, but I'd like to see at least SOME reasonable percentage of what we pay in spent in my own neighborhood.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,432,398 times
The Milton County movement is dead on arrival even if the sentiment exists with some people in North Fulton. Breaking up Fulton County won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta