Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,987,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahsloop View Post
i don't tell people that i'm from Atlanta as a point of pride or boasting, i say i live in Atlanta because it's a name that people from elsewhere recognize. ever heard of Daphne, AL? most people haven't, yet most have heard of Mobile, AL about 10 minutes away. anyway, as far as i can tell, it's Atlanta that's happily binging on all of N. Fulton's cake.
Maybe I'm an exception, but I've heard of Daphne. It is on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay in Baldwin county.

Anyway, point taken. Atlanta is much more known than, say, Lawrenceville or Decatur, etc.

So... since we're reviving old threads, what is the updated news on North Fulton trying to break away? 4 years later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,549 times
Quote:
i don't tell people that i'm from Atlanta as a point of pride or boasting, i say i live in Atlanta because it's a name that people from elsewhere recognize. ever heard of Daphne, AL? most people haven't, yet most have heard of Mobile, AL about 10 minutes away. anyway, as far as i can tell, it's Atlanta that's happily binging on all of N. Fulton's cake.
You do realize City of Atlanta residents get most of their services from Atlanta not Fulton?(or DeKalb if they live in CoA in DeKalb) Just so you know the highest tax assessments in Fulton come from areas like Ansley Park and Buckhead neighborhoods. Not Johns Creek, Roswell, Milton, etc., and the highest outside the CoA limits in Fulton would be in Sandy Springs.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:52 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,693,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
In general, it is funny how people say they are from Atlanta, Tampa, etc, when they are really from Roswell, Brandon, etc.. And then on top of that, they do everything possible to avoid paying the central city or county's taxes. So they want to have their cake and eat it too.
I "love" the companies that are located in Cobb County so they can have the ATL address without paying the tax. Or the companies that went to perimeter, (at least they are in Fulton or DeKalb). And before somebody criticizes me I have my business located in the City of Atlanta and pay the tax.

I have heard Forsyth County being included in "Atlanta" that makes me laugh. One person on here likes to talk about living in Johns Creek while living in Forsyth! (Johns Creek addresses are only on Johns Creek city limits which is in Fulton)

Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM

858 posts, read 1,386,964 times
Quote:
Do you realize you just replied to a post that was made four years ago

Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 PM

83 posts, read 113,548 times
Default Very Relevant

It might have been 4 years ago, but the subject is going to be EXTREMELY relevant in the next session of the legislature. Rep Jan Jones (R-Milton) isnt going to rest until she gets Milton Co...and she is in leadership. I'm guessing she is going to hold MARTA hostage like she did last year. Also, this year due to redistricting, the majority of reps in Fulton will be republicans. The districts were drawn so this would occur, and you can bet Jan is going to push hard.
Now, I am 100% against Milton Co. It would cost an enormous amount of money to pull off. I also believe that Fulton Co has about the most dysfunctional government next to Clayton (but thats another thread). The way it is structured, you have entrenched, entitlement minded, perk loving politicians like Emma Darnell not wanting to give up anything in their budgets even though they no longer have Sandy Springs revenue. Basically, you have horribly bloated and ineffective government that overlaps many of the CoA services. I think if there is a Milton Co, the rest of Fulton should be combined with CoA. Fulton Co government could easily be reformed at the state level, and this might be what you see happen if there is no Milton Co. Remember, you have majority republicans in the Fulton Co. delegation now, and the Fulton Co government has few allies under the dome...so this thread is actually more relevant now than it was 4 years ago

Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I "love" the companies that are located in Cobb County so they can have the ATL address without paying the tax. Or the companies that went to perimeter, (at least they are in Fulton or DeKalb). And before somebody criticizes me I have my business located in the City of Atlanta and pay the tax.

I have heard Forsyth County being included in "Atlanta" that makes me laugh. One person on here likes to talk about living in Johns Creek while living in Forsyth! (Johns Creek addresses are only on Johns Creek city limits which is in Fulton)
Many of the businesses that are on Cobb County with an Atlanta address are in 30339, which is either in the Cumberland Business District or in Vinings. It's a logical location right at the intersection of I-75 and I-285. Home Depot's SSC isn't in Cumberland, but it's just across the freeway.

Having the "name" without paying the tax sounds like a sound business decision to me, and not just because of the costs. Cobb strikes me as being much better run than Fulton.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,453,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
I'm just curious why Georgia has so many counties. I know Alabama counties are much larger than Georgia counties for some reason.
Corruption

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,888,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpatl4now View Post
It might have been 4 years ago, but the subject is going to be EXTREMELY relevant in the next session of the legislature. Rep Jan Jones (R-Milton) isnt going to rest until she gets Milton Co...and she is in leadership. I'm guessing she is going to hold MARTA hostage like she did last year. Also, this year due to redistricting, the majority of reps in Fulton will be republicans. The districts were drawn so this would occur, and you can bet Jan is going to push hard.
Now, I am 100% against Milton Co. It would cost an enormous amount of money to pull off. I also believe that Fulton Co has about the most dysfunctional government next to Clayton (but thats another thread). The way it is structured, you have entrenched, entitlement minded, perk loving politicians like Emma Darnell not wanting to give up anything in their budgets even though they no longer have Sandy Springs revenue. Basically, you have horribly bloated and ineffective government that overlaps many of the CoA services. I think if there is a Milton Co, the rest of Fulton should be combined with CoA. Fulton Co government could easily be reformed at the state level, and this might be what you see happen if there is no Milton Co. Remember, you have majority republicans in the Fulton Co. delegation now, and the Fulton Co government has few allies under the dome...so this thread is actually more relevant now than it was 4 years ago
milton county is never happening. as an alpharetta resident, the people who were pushing it were your more fundamentalist christian, upper middle class types. living in downtown alpharetta, i see less and less of those types of people every year and more and more of a diverse, accepting community. it may still be that way in johns creek and i know it is definitely that way in forsyth, but since there is a cap of 159 counties in the state and it failed before when it had the most support, i seriously doubt it's going to pass now.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,987,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Corruption
Care to explain that one? Alabama is just as corrupt as Georgia. I don't think the number of counties has anything to do with it..

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM

616 posts, read 1,114,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
milton county is never happening. as an alpharetta resident, the people who were pushing it were your more fundamentalist christian, upper middle class types. living in downtown alpharetta, i see less and less of those types of people every year and more and more of a diverse, accepting community. it may still be that way in johns creek and i know it is definitely that way in forsyth, but since there is a cap of 159 counties in the state and it failed before when it had the most support, i seriously doubt it's going to pass now.

I have to LOL at this. No offense, but you may wish that Alpharetta has changed in this way, but that doesn't make it true. And what does being a fundamentalist Christian have to do with North Fulton becoming its own county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta