Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,344,419 times

Advertisements

Never say never in Georgia.

Some people thought that Sandy Springs would never become a city. And then Roy Barnes & Tom Murphy got the boot, signaling the end of decades of moderate Democratic influence in metro Atlanta, post 1964 CRA. Now, Sandy Springs is a bonafide city.

I can see more Ds changing to Rs given the right bribes...err, I mean "motivation". Like a plum leadership position on a committee.

Milton County may very likely have its day in the court of public electoral opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
milton county is never happening. as an alpharetta resident, the people who were pushing it were your more fundamentalist christian, upper middle class types. living in downtown alpharetta, i see less and less of those types of people every year and more and more of a diverse, accepting community. it may still be that way in johns creek and i know it is definitely that way in forsyth, but since there is a cap of 159 counties in the state and it failed before when it had the most support, i seriously doubt it's going to pass now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,963,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Never say never in Georgia.

Some people thought that Sandy Springs would never become a city. And then Roy Barnes & Tom Murphy got the boot, signaling the end of decades of moderate Democratic influence in metro Atlanta, post 1964 CRA. Now, Sandy Springs is a bonafide city.

I can see more Ds changing to Rs given the right bribes...err, I mean "motivation". Like a plum leadership position on a committee.

Milton County may very likely have its day in the court of public electoral opinion.
Georgia's history of state policy concerning municipal law was neanderthal. Democrats were responsible for these laws, some of which were based on 19th century ideals. An example? the reason we have the second largest number of counties... no Georgia citizen should be further than a days wagon ride from the county seat.

Give Republicans props for being progressive. Moderate democrats my foot.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,943,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
So how did you go from being raised in a "fundamentalist christian church" to becoming jewish?
long story. partially because i actually started reading the bible and figured out the second half doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 AM

Apparently in your zeal to somehow prove me wrong, you missed the part where I said "post 1964 CRA".

If you actually think that the current majority political party at our statehouse is "progressive"...given the grief that they are giving MARTA, the ID laws that have actually reversed the gains that former Gov Perdue made to shorten the waiting time at the DDS, the laws being considered to limit a woman's reproductive rights, and decreasing taxes to wealthy citizens & corporations while increasing the tax burden on the middle class & poor...then there is not much more for us to talk about on this issue.

Because it seems that you and I have two completely different ideas on what it means to be "progressive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Georgia's history of state policy concerning municipal law was neanderthal. Democrats were responsible for these laws, some of which were based on 19th century ideals. An example? the reason we have the second largest number of counties... no Georgia citizen should be further than a days wagon ride from the county seat.

Give Republicans props for being progressive. Moderate democrats my foot.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-15-2012 at 05:18 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Apparently in your zeal to somehow prove me wrong, you missed the part where I said "post 1964 CRA".

If you actually think that the current majority political party at our statehouse is "progressive"...given the grief that they are giving MARTA, the ID laws that have actually reversed the gains that former Gov Perdue made to shorten the waiting time at the DDS, the laws being considered to limit a woman's reproductive rights, and decreasing taxes to wealthy citizens & corporations while increasing the tax burden on the middle class & poor...then there is not much more for us to talk about on this issue.

Because it seems that you and I have two completely different ideas on what it means to be "progressive".
You equated the citizens of Sandy Springs and others being allowed to become a city and govern themselves with Republicans that weren't moderate... at least you equated the Democrats leaving that opposed cityhood as moderate so I made that assumption. That is all I referred to. Those democrats that kept cities from establishing themselves I will not call moderate in that issue, that was old school politics based in the racist past.

Whatever else you are going about is not on the table for discussion and not a part of this thread and is nothing I was referring to and refuse to be drug into such a discussion. The topic is North Fulton and municipal services, county vs. city.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,192,564 times
Quote:
Basic municipal services went to the cities when they incorporated. The biggest thing the county controls over the N. Fulton cities is the school district. The state of Georgia does not allow cities to establish city run school districts anymore... forget the date, but I think sometine in the 70s this was established. Existing city systems were grandfathered in, that is why you have no new school districts formed since that date.

Perhaps I am missing something, but what else would benefit North Fulton residents now that they are all incorporated cities other than being able to establish the Milton County School System?
I guess Milton county would get to have its own library system. Out of 33 Atlanta Fulton County Library branches, only 5 are in North Fulton.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,114,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I guess Milton county would get to have its own library system. Out of 33 Atlanta Fulton County Library branches, only 5 are in North Fulton.
About the same as in South Fulton...most of them are clustered in the city of Atlanta

I wonder how that works...would a newly-formed county be required to buy the school and library buildings from the former county? I doubt they would just be handed over.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You equated the citizens of Sandy Springs and others being allowed to become a city and govern themselves with Republicans that weren't moderate... at least you equated the Democrats leaving that opposed cityhood as moderate so I made that assumption. That is all I referred to..
Fair enough.

For my part, I don't consider city-hood a progressive issue because these cities only became the powerhouses that they are today because they took the lion's share of taxes when they were building themselves up from the podunks that they were in the past. I am not the only one who has this opinion.

The Rise of Milton County – GSU Magazine

And now when their neighbors to the south want the same treatment, all of a sudden people want to complain. And our local corporate-owned media is quite content with sitting back and watch the sparks fly rather than tell the truth...and provide some historical context to this whole north/south taxation issue. But who cares right?

What's done is done.

Quote:
Those democrats that kept cities from establishing themselves I will not call moderate in that issue, that was old school politics based in the racist past.
What racism are you talking about?

White people were always dominant in political office in Georgia no matter what party label they called themselves. In fact the only racism that I see was the white flight that took place in the 1950s-1980s when people ran away from the core of Atlanta to Sandy Springs and the tax money for building roads, sewers, and highways simply followed them.

Adding more to the racism pile is that the recurring factor of living here has always been that whenever black people come into control of something, there is always some legislation or tricky maneuver in the works to take it away. It never fails. America still chafes over black governance.

No matter how innocent the claims, excuses, and justifications are, be it less taxes or better governance, that 800 pound gorilla known as "race" will always be hiding in America & Georgia's closet.

Quote:
Whatever else you are going about is not on the table for discussion and not a part of this thread and is nothing I was referring to and refuse to be drug into such a discussion. The topic is North Fulton and municipal services, county vs. city.
That's fine. But you went outside the box yourself, so maybe you should take your own advice and take off your cloak of self-righteousness.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 09-15-2012 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

For my part, I don't consider city hood a progressive issue because these cities only became the powerhouses that they were today because they took the lion shares of taxes when they were building themselves up from the podunks that they were in the past. I am not the only one who has this opinion.

The Rise of Milton County – GSU Magazine

What racism are you talking about?

White people were always dominant in political office in Georgia no matter what party label they called themselves. In fact the only racism that I see was the white flight that took place in the 1950s-1980s when people ran away from the core of Atlanta to Sandy Springs and the tax money simply for building roads and highways simply followed them.

Adding more to the racism pile is that the recurring factor of living here has always been that whenever black people come into control of something, there is always some legislation or tricky maneuver in the works to take it away. It never fails.

No matter how innocent the claims are be it less taxes or better governance, that 800 pound gorilla will always be hiding in the closet.

That's fine. But you went outside the box yourself, so maybe you should take your own advice and take off your cloak of righteousness.
I don't understand your cloak of righteousness statement so will go past that, but it was clear that racial issues were evident when Sam Massell tried to incorporate Sandy Springs into Atlanta and the attitude was from both sides... whites in Sandy Springs not wanting to be in the city and blacks in the city eyeing a majority and not wanting to dilute their voting strength. The loony laws on the books limiting cities incorporating or expanding were directly tied to this issue. This issue is the only reason I challenged your assertion of moderate democrats and the city issue... which is all driectly related to the Milton County re-establishment issue. Georgia democrats might be the most progressive thing since progress was invented, but in this issue, these democrats were not thinking progressively at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 44,558,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
long story. partially because i actually started reading the bible and figured out the second half doesn't make any sense.
Well, maybe not to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta