Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times

Advertisements

Ok, it just seems like every single day now, that something is coming out of Clayton County.

The fact that the school system is about to lose accreditation is bad enough by far. But then they snuck and hired a new school super against all advice (who demands a top dollar income), and it's just one thing after another.

Maybe for the benefit of those who are thinking about moving into Clayton we should post our links to the news articles of what's happening down there. Not just school news. All of the crazy whackiness that is now Clayton.

Todays: Clayton's police chief's son is arrested for burglary.

Video: Clayton County courts are years behind and overloaded (http://www.wsbtv.com/video/16119069/index.html - broken link).

Story: Clayton School board attorney quits. (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15995168/detail.html - broken link)

Governor's helpers for Clayton won't work with the school board any more. STORY (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=115185 - broken link).

Awww heck, the list could go on and on. But I'm half expecting to start seeing people trade chickens for cars and chase each other with machetes and animal bones down there. This is America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM

91 posts, read 344,324 times
What happened to Clayton? Didnt it used to be kinda like an equivalent to Cobb and Gwinnett? Im not sure what went wrong with that county. Maybe the airport killed it?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
It's Clayton, who cares? They keep electing the dumb a$$es, I believe the new guy will get 140 days vacation per year. How is govt. beneficial to schools?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
County Sheriff's son arrested:
Clayton police chief's son charged in burglary | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/clayton/stories/2008/05/01/chiefson_0502.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

Clayton is the new Dekalb, and has gone far and beyond. It's just one big Ghetto IMO

Old 05-01-2008, 11:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,639 times
I grew up there like 20+ years ago and it was getting pretty dumpy then...so color me not surprised.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
It is something.

Where will they find the $$$ for the superintendent they chose? I cannot believe what I have read about that.

'First school system in the US to lose accreditation'--that would seemingly motivate any community to get its act together.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,796 times
I think its all very sad for the children who will be going to schools without accreditation. Its pretty cold to take the "who cares" approach just because people live in "One-big-Ghetto" How are they supposed to get out of that "ghetto" without an education? Breaking the cycle of poverty benefits the Atlanta are as a whole, not just this county.
The community did go to the school boards meetings, but the selfish members of the school board refused to step down.
Finally is there not any way the State Government can remove these school board members?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
It is something.

Where will they find the $$$ for the superintendent they chose? I cannot believe what I have read about that.

'First school system in the US to lose accreditation'--that would seemingly motivate any community to get its act together.
It would be the first in Georgia. Biloxi Miss, Hartford Ct, and Duval County Florida have all lost accreditation in the past.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I think its all very sad for the children who will be going to schools without accreditation. Its pretty cold to take the "who cares" approach just because people live in "One-big-Ghetto" How are they supposed to get out of that "ghetto" without an education? Breaking the cycle of poverty benefits the Atlanta are as a whole, not just this county.
The community did go to the school boards meetings, but the selfish members of the school board refused to step down.
Finally is there not any way the State Government can remove these school board members?
The State/Gov Perdue appointed 2 advisers who recently resigned. A school board member opined that the advisers were not interested in helping them and so on and so forth.

Since there doesn't seem to be a precedent for this I don't know what can be done.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,639 times
They can do what they did in New Orleans and have the state take over the school system and turn all schools into competing charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta