Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,646,694 times

Advertisements

I think this a great big step in the right direction to improve Atlanta and traffic in the area. The project will create more jobs as well!

(Feds open up funding for Atlanta streetcar project *| ajc.com).

The citizens of metro Atlanta just need to approve the PENNY sales tax next year and Atlanta will begin its journey back to positive territory.

What are your thoughts or concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,908,502 times
Unless the route map has changed, it was a bit flawed for the first section of this rail.

Take a look at the map. (http://georgiatransitconnector.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Streetcar-2.jpg - broken link)

The streetcar will connect to the EDGE of Centennial Park. Tourists/residents/visitors who ride it will still have to walk about two city blocks or so in order to go to the Aquarium, World of Coke, or the Congress Center or CNN. Likewise, the stops only come within 2-3 full blocks of major hotels such as the Marriott Marquis, Hilton, and Hyatt. For a system that is supposed to be convenient to office workers, conventioneers, and visitors, it seems to go out of it's way to make many of those folks walk several blocks to even get to it... good luck on 95+ degree days such as this past couple of weeks, huh? And those with minor (or major) disabilities or those who are older or who have very young kids are unlikely to ride it if they still have to walk a few blocks to get to where they wish to go, when with a little planning, it could have gone right by the entrances to most of the major things in the Centennial Park area.

The thing should go further north of Peachtree a couple of blocks to better connect to the hotels, cut down Baker Street, and go to the Aquarium (right in front), to do a loop around Centennial Park, stopping at CNN/Congress Ctr, and loop back around to eventually go back down Auburn to the MLK center. That would have put it within reach of MANY more riders than the current map does.

I fully approve of light rail in certain situations, such as to fill in the gaps in the inner city in-between MARTA heavy rail stops. But this first extension seems haphazardly planned, and therefore, is wasting millions of dollars when it needs to be tweaked to better serve the downtown area.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,965,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I think this a great big step in the right direction to improve Atlanta and traffic in the area. The project will create more jobs as well!

(Feds open up funding for Atlanta streetcar project *| ajc.com).

The citizens of metro Atlanta just need to approve the PENNY sales tax next year and Atlanta will begin its journey back to positive territory.

What are your thoughts or concerns?
I have little faith anymore that the 1% tax will get passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Unless the route map has changed, it was a bit flawed for the first section of this rail.

Take a look at the map. (http://georgiatransitconnector.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Streetcar-2.jpg - broken link)

The streetcar will connect to the EDGE of Centennial Park. Tourists/residents/visitors who ride it will still have to walk about two city blocks or so in order to go to the Aquarium, World of Coke, or the Congress Center or CNN. Likewise, the stops only come within 2-3 full blocks of major hotels such as the Marriott Marquis, Hilton, and Hyatt. For a system that is supposed to be convenient to office workers, conventioneers, and visitors, it seems to go out of it's way to make many of those folks walk several blocks to even get to it... good luck on 95+ degree days such as this past couple of weeks, huh? And those with minor (or major) disabilities or those who are older or who have very young kids are unlikely to ride it if they still have to walk a few blocks to get to where they wish to go, when with a little planning, it could have gone right by the entrances to most of the major things in the Centennial Park area.

The thing should go further north of Peachtree a couple of blocks to better connect to the hotels, cut down Baker Street, and go to the Aquarium (right in front), to do a loop around Centennial Park, stopping at CNN/Congress Ctr, and loop back around to eventually go back down Auburn to the MLK center. That would have put it within reach of MANY more riders than the current map does.

I fully approve of light rail in certain situations, such as to fill in the gaps in the inner city in-between MARTA heavy rail stops. But this first extension seems haphazardly planned, and therefore, is wasting millions of dollars when it needs to be tweaked to better serve the downtown area.
I couldn't agree with you more!!! You hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,646,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Valid points, but do not forget that the street car will connect to the Beltline as well (Atlanta City Council votes to connect streetcar to Beltline). I believe it will be successful.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,406,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Valid points, but do not forget that the street car will connect to the Beltline as well (Atlanta City Council votes to connect streetcar to Beltline). I believe it will be successful.
This is perhaps a dumb question, but does it run both ways, on opposite sides of the street? I can't tell from looking at the map.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:24 AM

725 posts, read 1,280,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is perhaps a dumb question, but does it run both ways, on opposite sides of the street? I can't tell from looking at the map.

No, only on one portion of auburn av. On the east side it runs one direction on edgewood and one direction on auburn. It dows the same on the west side i believe with lucky and Poplar? I cant quite remember.

Also its not a bad walk from the station to the aquarium. at least its thru the park an not on a street. I hope in the future it is expanded toward phillips and the dome and then on to the beltline.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 AM

747 posts, read 1,545,677 times
The route might not be perfect but I'm just thrilled we're finally laying some tracks. I can only hope this is the beginning of Atlanta returning to its streetcar roots!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:17 AM

454 posts, read 822,017 times
Its a start at least and I hope it gets extended in the near future.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,837,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
The route might not be perfect but I'm just thrilled we're finally laying some tracks. I can only hope this is the beginning of Atlanta returning to its streetcar roots!
Yes. I hope so, too.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:12 PM

13 posts, read 25,643 times
Streetcars are a must in any city of over 5 million people, this is great for Atlanta and i'm sure it will boost tourism numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta