Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant501 View Post
This school system is going to hell in handbasket. I put my children in private school last year when I noticed all of this mess going on. Until we take a stand get some new board members it's going to get worse.

Is there any way the citizens can force the school board to resign?

Have attorneys been hired to explore legal remedies?

What's the legal term--'malfeasance'?
Dictionary.com/Word of the Day Archive/malfeasance

I don't understand why they have not been charged with something--'Dereliction of Duty' with catastrophic consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,779,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
When did the Hartford, CT school system lose its accreditation?
I remember while I was attending high school in suburban Hartford that Hartford Public High (one of 3 high schools in Hartford) was threatened with loss of accreditation. It went on probation until 2001. A major factor was the building condition, which took 10 years to renovate and cost $107 million. The whole school system of Hartford didn't face loss of accreditation though. New Britian High School in New Britian, CT is also facing loss of accreditation.

Last edited by netdragon; 05-03-2008 at 11:17 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 AM

539 posts, read 2,103,304 times
Netdragon, thanks for the info. I didn't remember the city's school system losing their accreditation. I was wondering how something like that slipped by me!?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Hello my family and i was making arraingments to move to clayton county and now i'm hesitant to do so, I do have 3 kids one in each school, elem,jr,and high. any advice as to any other nice locations in georgia with good schools and good diversity?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ellises View Post
Hello my family and i was making arraingments to move to clayton county and now i'm hesitant to do so, I do have 3 kids one in each school, elem,jr,and high. any advice as to any other nice locations in georgia with good schools and good diversity?
You'll probably get a better response if you start a new thread with your question. It would be a good idea to include exactly what you are looking for. Where do you work? How long of a commute can you handle? Are you looking to buy or rent? How much do you want to spend? Also, what makes a location "nice" for you and your family? Do you need to be close to shopping, entertainment, parks, etc.? Do you want a big yard? Answers to such questions are beneficial when helping you decide what areas you and your family might like the most.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
It is something.

Where will they find the $$$ for the superintendent they chose? I cannot believe what I have read about that.

'First school system in the US to lose accreditation'--that would seemingly motivate any community to get its act together.
Definitely not the first school system in the US to lose accreditation...ask St. Louis, MO.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Definitely not the first school system in the US to lose accreditation...ask St. Louis, MO.
Someone else advised me of this. I got my FYI from an article somewhere online.

After a bit of research I have answered my own questions about how this senseless situation progressed.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Someone else advised me of this. I got my FYI from an article somewhere online.

After a bit of research I have answered my own questions about how this senseless situation progressed.
I wasnt trying to be a smart ass by any means. But I had heard that said alot aroudn the Atlanta area including on tv and on the radio.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 66,035 times
Default Special Education in Clayton County?

I wonder how parents with special education is dealing with this in Clayton County?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I wasnt trying to be a smart ass by any means. But I had heard that said alot aroudn the Atlanta area including on tv and on the radio.
I didn't take it that way, skip.

I think everyone is stunned wherever things like this happen in the US.

Someone posted on another thread that the AJC is initiating a lawsuit against the school board for holding secret meetings and denying them access. That is about all that can be done--find a legal remedy.

It seems like they have been living under a corrupt dictatorship in Clayton County and even though people have tried to free themselves they cannot. The school system itself has even issued a statement clarifying that it is not 'involved' in the school board's problems--that is way beyond me.

The advisers who resigned say they will work with the school system which must find ways to meet standards in 9 different areas, one of which is the criminal dysfunctionality of the school board.

Georgia ranks 48th/49th on national tests and the citizens demand a better quality of education.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-04-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta