Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 04:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,664,747 times

Advertisements

Just wanted an update on this. I've been out of the loop for a while. Rumor was North Fulton was supposed to break away from South Fulton and one way of doing that was to reform Milton county(circa great depression)

Any updates on that? Is it happening or what?

I think Johns Creek, Alpharetta and part of Forsyth were planning on merging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,649,467 times
I highly doubt it. We have too many counties as it is.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,013,006 times
I hope so!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:45 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,896,239 times
ha! no.

they would have to amend the GA constitution, because there's an 159 county cap written into the constitution. every bill introduced to do so has died in committee.

secondly, the entire north fulton area is now incorporated into various cities (johns creek, milton, etc.), so most of the duties that fulton county had to take care of are managed by the cities— they're getting much improved service, so there's not much of a push for it anymore.

the only people who are still pushing it are those who feel like they should pay lower property taxes despite having much higher income levels than those in south fulton, and being charged the same rates. with north fulton diversifying (fewer neoconservatives), and MARTA rail service set to expand (a massive increase in transit service), it will likely happen when pigs fly.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,894,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
ha! no.

they would have to amend the GA constitution, because there's an 159 county cap written into the constitution. every bill introduced to do so has died in committee.

secondly, the entire north fulton area is now incorporated into various cities (johns creek, milton, etc.), so most of the duties that fulton county had to take care of are managed by the cities— they're getting much improved service, so there's not much of a push for it anymore.

the only people who are still pushing it are those who feel like they should pay lower property taxes despite having much higher income levels than those in south fulton, and being charged the same rates. with north fulton diversifying (fewer neoconservatives), and MARTA rail service set to expand (a massive increase in transit service), it will likely happen when pigs fly.
The BIG thing that is not separate is the school system. All of Fulton outside of Atlanta is in the Fulton County School System. Incorporating the cities did not change this. Under current law, the only way for the north to have a separate school system would be to form a new county. Which state law would be easier to amend is the question here, the 159 county rule or the no new city system run school districts.

If the second law were amended and the north Fulton cities had a collective city system... or each their own city systems, I doubt you would ever hear the words "Milton County" mentioned as an entity ever again.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,013,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
ha! no.

Nah, our taxes and services are fine. What is a real PIA is jury duty, and I don't care what anybody claims, the bulk of the summonses are sent to North Fulton. I was even told( by a uniform at the courthouse) it was because stable homeowners here are easy to trace, and most likely to show up. But 4 of those "invitations" in 7 years is hogwash, and if breaking away is the only way to fix it, I'm all for it.

I really have no issue with schools, taxes, or services. Now fix the jury duty burden and I'm willing to stick around. Otherwise, I'll see you at jury duty, again, in June, and hope for a Milton Cty down the road.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,683,140 times
First, it wasn't ever part of Forsyth. Just like it won't include Dunwoody or any of N. DeKalb.

Second, Jan Jones pushed the Charter School Constitutional Amendment for a variety of reasons. Some believe that her main interest was in bypassing the school system issue. Every school in a new Milton could be a state chartered school.

I actually think that a Milton County would have lots of support (perhaps misguided). There is the perception among many parents, that as good as their schools are, they would be better off without South Fulton. (Again, I don't necessarily agree, just stating the word on the street.)

I am no expert on Fulton County, but there is certainly the believe among many that it is inefficient and not well run.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,894,705 times
If there ever were an exception to the rule disallowing any new school system from starting other than run by a county, North Fulton should be the exception. Every other county in the state has a contiguous jurisdiction to administer... even counties that do have separate cities within them (Cobb/Marietta, DeKalb/Decatur) .... these city systems are not splitting the geography of their respective counties completely in half miles away from each other. With Atlanta having a separate school system from the rest of Fulton, the divide between the two is huge. It would be like having Cobb and Clayton as one system or DeKalb and Douglas.... it is totally unwieldy and doesn't make sense.

Actually, Cobb/Clayton or DeKalb/Douglas are closer to each other than N. Fulton and S. Fulton, but you guys get my point (I hope).

Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,664,747 times
I'm pretty sure the only problem is the schools. Ghetto kids from south Fulton are being bussed to north Fulton, and that's what's grinding some parents and student's gears..from what I've heard anyways.

I'm not even sure what the procedure is for busing kids. Are they the top of their school or the bottom of their school? Schools like Northview, Milton and Walton will do anything to keep their SAT scores amazing..

Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,683,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
I'm pretty sure the only problem is the schools. Ghetto kids from south Fulton are being bussed to north Fulton, and that's what's grinding some parents and student's gears..from what I've heard anyways.

I'm not even sure what the procedure is for busing kids. Are they the top of their school or the bottom of their school? Schools like Northview, Milton and Walton will do anything to keep their SAT scores amazing..
I think there is very little busing anymore if any at all.

And I think there are actually some good schools in S. Fulton.

I think the issue is perception about resource allocation related to taxes. I also think that many parents in N. Fulton get frustrated by centralized decision making that they perceive as not being good for their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta