Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:32 PM

20 posts, read 83,964 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into relocating to the Atlanta area from Orange County California. I will be trying to get a job in my corp office in northern Atlanta, it is located right by Northside and St. Joseph's Hospitals. I will be looking to buy a house under 350k. 4bed 2-3 baths, less then an acre will a nice yard. I know it sounds like I want that perfect little house with the white picket fence.

I have been told to look at Cobb or East Cobb County for a home. I was looking at Roswell as it is less then 15miles from the office and I have been told I can take the side streets. But I also heard that the taxes in Fulton county are higher then most of the surrounding countys. I was also looking at Kennesaw. How are the taxes setup in these towns, and why do they vary so much?

I know a few people that live in Cumming. They have about 45-50 min commute time. And someone I know lives in Canton 1hr each way she says. The most I would like to commute is 45min. I know that the traffic in the Altanta area is said to be almost as bad as LA. I'm have been spoiled over the last couple of years with an 8 mile commute that took about 25min and didn't need to access the Freeway.

I have two very young boys one is 2 years 4month and the other one just arrived about 3 weeks ago. I'm looking for a town with young people that have faimly's.

I'm also a scuba diver, is there any diving to be done in the area, lakes or hot springs? I know that the coast is about 5 hours southeast.

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:29 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
We have no lakes here -- they are all drying up.

You also might consider Peachtree Corners in Gwinnett, the Simpson Elementary area, in particular. Wouldn't be a terrible commute, I don't think and there are lots of families over there, a great YMCA, close to shopping etc.

Gwinnett has lower taxes than Fulton and maybe Cobb? Each jurisdiction sets its own property tax rate. Sometimes there is a connection between the services you receive and sometimes there isn't. In a city (an incorporated one), you pay city taxes and county taxes.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
East Cobb is very nice and the public schools are considered to be some of the best in the metro area. In terms of schooling and commute I'd chose East Cobb over Roswell. Also your taxes would be cheaper. However both are very nice areas to live with excellent amenities and hoards of young families. I'd say both communities are very family oriented.

We moved here last year and think this is a great place to live and raise our children. There are many transplants so it is easy to make friends and also the natives are friendly and helpful. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:04 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,780,501 times
Atlanta has high taxes, but there are parts of Fulton County that aren't as bad (base is about 10 mills lower than Atlanta), but definately not as good as Cobb County. East Cobb is unincorporated so it has very low taxes.

Tax Department - Millage Rates

Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM

Default How do you read the Millage rate?

How do you read the millage rate? I was looking at Kennesaw and I see it is very high like 38%. Is there some easy formula to guess how much tax someone might pay. I'm looking to spend 350k on a home.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 PM

14 posts, read 67,630 times
I would like to get an estimate of what my utilities would cost in Kennesaw GA. I know this will vary depending on household size but any input would be great. Assume a 3 to 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath average sized home with a household size of 4 to 7. For example how much was your bill for the following in the past month?

Electric:
Gas:
Water:
Sewer:
Trash:

My Household size:

Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,351,877 times
I live in Decatur, GA (just east of downtown Atlanta) so I don't know the areas you are considering. But I can tell you that, after moving here from San Diego a few years ago, I was amazed at how much further your housing dollar goes in Atlanta. You should not have a problem finding the sort of house you are looking for at $350,000. Whereas $350,000 doesn't buy squat in Orange County. It is so crazy. $350,000 is a lot of money to spend on a house (it is about 70% above the national median), but in Southern California a realtor would laugh at you if you suggested that was your budget for buying a house.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Default That is why I'm considering the move.

I know you can't buy house in SOCAL for 350k. If I were to buy here it would cost aleast 450-500k and that gets you about 1200SF house. And they you would have about 5000k in taxes on top of that.

I'm looking to a better livestyle then the one I have here in the OC.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Another tax question?

From what I hear you can expect to pay about 1% of the value of the house. Which I would be fine with as I not going to spend over 350k. So $3500 in taxes is very reasenable.

I'm I way off on this number?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
See my input in bold below

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantago View Post
I would like to get an estimate of what my utilities would cost in Kennesaw GA. I know this will vary depending on household size but any input would be great. Assume a 3 to 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath average sized home with a household size of 4 to 7. For example how much was your bill for the following in the past month?

Electric: Under $100 in the winter, under $200 in the summer
Gas: From $40 in summer to undr $100 in the winter
Water: $30/month, including sewer
Sewer: See above
Trash: $14/month

My Household size: 4 people, 4 br, 2.5 ba, 2,400 SF, new construction

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta