Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,831 times

Advertisements

So my husband, 3 year old son and I are relocating the Atlanta area to be closer to my husband's side of the family. (They are all in the Covington/Conyers areas) The thing is, I'm really wanting to live closer to Atlanta metro just not RIGHT in the city. I need to know from people who live around there where the good neighborhoods, schools and such are...here are my specs:

1. Budget [no more than $900 for rent]
2. House/Condo/Townhome? [doesnt matter but I'd like something on the nicer side]
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) [my husband and I both work from home]
4. Children(public school vs. private) [public if it is in a nice area and has a good learning system in place..private otherwise]
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two [suburban]
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? [not important]
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. [clean, kid and pet friendly, safe safe safe]

Thanks in advance for your help!

p.s. We are moving from Alabama..so its not a huge culture shock....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

80 posts, read 132,703 times
I used MapLiv and Livelovely when I was relocating to Atlanta from California. I don't know much about the area, but I'm not sure the 900 is going to go very far for what you're looking for, unless an apartment is an option. Maybe the area outside of the city (towards the East).

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM

7,354 posts, read 6,523,779 times
Between Conyers/Covington and downtown Atlanta, the only really good area is intown Decatur. The in-between areas are higher in crime, and the school systems are not that great. In fact, Decatur may not have great schools given that it's part of Dekalb and the Dekalb school system is having their chain yanked hard right now, but I don't know if there's a separate Decatur City Schools or not. Newton County schools are a bit better than Rockdale County, but it varies widely from school to school (I attended both counties' school systems). A good direction might be to look toward the Monroe and Social Circle areas. They're a bit more rural, and a longer drive if you ever have occasion to visit Atlanta, but as far as I know, they're lower crime, and still have nicer schools.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,917 times
You might as well look in Lithonia and maybe closer to Conyers because you're not going to find a nice area within 285 for 900$. Shouldn't be a big deal, I mean I know you said you want to be closer to Atlanta but you work from home, don't want the urban lifestyle, and don't care about transit so there you go.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,831 times
How is the area around sandy springs or smyrna? We don't mind which direction we live in (i.e. west, north..etc) Just as long as it fits our budget and is safe...

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,658,434 times
Your budget probably won't get you what you are looking for in Sandy Springs...

Can't comment on Smyrna.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,028 times
Perhaps u want to ask ur husband's family? I say this bc they know what u consider to be nice and what u consider to be safe. We don't. I have no idea what Alabama really looks like, how modern everything is vs old south/country, etc. So, what u consider to be nice, we have no idea. It's all relative. They will know ur preferences much betterthan we will. Right now, I think Smyrna might be doable - maybe do a search for a Smyrna thread and post there. Lots of Smyrna folk on here. Sandy Springs is one of the most expensive areas in all of metro Atlanta and 900 for a home/townhome/condo doesn't comport well with an expensive area in Atlanta. 900 per month for that type of housing is more like barely middle class maybe working class as I understand it. U may want to visit and take a look around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleydeshae1 View Post
So my husband, 3 year old son and I are relocating the Atlanta area to be closer to my husband's side of the family. (They are all in the Covington/Conyers areas) The thing is, I'm really wanting to live closer to Atlanta metro just not RIGHT in the city. I need to know from people who live around there where the good neighborhoods, schools and such are...here are my specs:

2. House/Condo/Townhome? [doesnt matter but I'd like something on the nicer side]
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) [my husband and I both work from home]
4. Children(public school vs. private) [public if it is in a nice area and has a good learning system in place..private otherwise]
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. [clean, kid and pet friendly, safe safe safe]

Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM

46 posts, read 90,288 times
Maybe consider looking in the Downtown Roswell area - it's a neat area of town, and it's very close to 400 which could bring you straight into Atlanta! Also, being in that area should give you great schooling options. Also, you would most likely be able to afford something decent within your budget. It is definitely outside the perimeter, but it offers to easy access.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 AM

38 posts, read 43,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleydeshae1 View Post

Don't do it.......my spouse and I just moved from DC to ATL to be closer to my family and I took a $15k/yr paycut and he has been looking for work since we moved here in August. He's an accountant/CPA and unemployment in ATL for his profession is considered "low." Just make sure you have jobs lined up or a lot of savings to ride on.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM

283 posts, read 360,465 times
Yeah, $900 is going to be a stretch given the demographics you mentioned, although depending on how suburban you're looking for you might want to try the outer suburbs like Woodstock, Cumming/Forsyth County, etc. -- the money goes further out there but you sacrifice being close to the city. If your family is in Conyers, you mine as well look out there like someone previously mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta