Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times

Advertisements

As I was driving home from Charlotte, NC this afternoon, I hit 285 at about 5pm. On a clear, dry, sunny day, there were a couple of fender bender type accidents that were blocking lanes and causing delays near the Perimeter Mall exit.

I wanted to share these simple secrets to reducing or elminating these types of crashes that seem to litter the highways in the Atlanta area. I don't realize how terrible the driving is in Atlanta, until I travel back north or to the west coast on business and remember that in other areas people don't act the way drivers do on Atlanta roads. I don't know why, but the tailgating and excessive speeding is just rampant here in Atlanta, to the point of being rediculous. It's no wonder that accidents happen when the car behind you is on your ass trying to do 80 and can't react to conditions ahead. Let's not even discuss the lack of using turn signals.
  • Don't drive 80 mph
  • Don't sit on my bumper trying to force me to do 80mph (or any speed)
  • Use a turn signal and stop weaving in and out of lanes and hitting your brakes while sitting on my bumper trying to do 80mph
  • Get that damn cell phone out of your ear and pay attention
  • Fix your car. Make sure your tires have tread, your brakes work, and you can see out of that cracked windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 07:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
I've lived all around the country, and everywhere I've ever lived people have complained about the drivers and the driving. Where is this mythical place where all the good drivers reside? I have noticed *slight* differences in driving style in different parts of the country, but nothing too extreme. Atlanta is like just about anywhere else that is congested IMO.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM

39 posts, read 146,978 times
I would love to have a job where I had to speed to work. I think everyone here loves their job.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
All that speeding and bumper riding is the product of rage and frustration at having to be stuck in traffic....

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
All that speeding and bumper riding is the product of rage and frustration at having to be stuck in traffic....
How can you be speeding at 80 mph and "stuck in traffic" at the same time? lol

I've lived in NJ, NV, and GA, and have spent a decent amount of time driving in/around many major cities, and the a-hole driver problem is not at all unique to Atlanta- it occurs in literally every big city. Like one of the previous posters, I too would like to know where this "courteous driver utopia" is that everyone keeps wishing we could be like....

Old 02-28-2008, 08:09 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
That phenomenon, known as "speeding parking lot", ONLY happens in Atlanta. For real...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 AM

483 posts, read 2,094,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've lived all around the country, and everywhere I've ever lived people have complained about the drivers and the driving. Where is this mythical place where all the good drivers reside? I have noticed *slight* differences in driving style in different parts of the country, but nothing too extreme. Atlanta is like just about anywhere else that is congested IMO.
Since you ask - on a recent trip thru Virginia, I noticed ALL the locals were
driving exactly the posted speed limit. I guess they knew that some vigorous enforcement was going on. So I watched my speed as well. Even that far away from Ga, 8 out of 10 cars that sped past had Ga. tags, and nearly all of those were from - sorry - Cobb County.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 AM

39 posts, read 146,978 times
When I go to visit family in South Carolina, I do the speed limit because the troopers will bust you in SC. I noticed the people speeding by have GA tags and I've seen them on the side of the road with blue lights flashing.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 AM

88 posts, read 304,326 times
Default I don't get it

I don't think a city exists where the driving experience is a utopian one but driving in GA leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder what life will be like if traffic issues really are addressed b/c it seems that the only time people drive with some sense is when you're in a stuck in a traffic 'parking lot'. AND - no matter the pace of traffic sometimes I swear it seems as though no one had to take a formal lesson to initially get on the road.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM

67 posts, read 302,287 times
The thing I have really noticed here is that very few people use their turning signals. Seriously why do you think the car has them!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta