Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:59 AM

148 posts, read 951,385 times

Advertisements

A recent article in the AJC DIDN'T put a negative spin describing Atlanta drivers.

In fact, the tone of the article was somewhat positive. As I recall, the article said that Atlanta drivers are "fairly" considerate, and most definitely not at the bottom of the barrel compared to other large cities.

I really couldn't believe what I was reading. The writer of the article obviously hasn't been behind a steering wheel driving the freeways and roads of Atlanta.

I do love Atlanta, but the mind-set: " I'M NUMBER ONE" seems to be running through too many Atlanta driver's minds.

I just wish the writer of the article could drive on Lenox Road during the rush hour. The following is just one example of: "I'M NUMBER ONE" mentality.

Lenox Road is a four lane road immediately beside Lenox Mall. Lenox Road merges into a two lane road right before the Alexandria townhomes.

As you're heading east towards Buford Highway, the left lane is clearly marked as a left-turn lane onto a side street. However, very, very very, very, very, very few drivers use this lane to turn left.

During the rush hour, traffic backs up in the right-hand lane. I always get in the right-hand lane and wait patiently for the traffic to slowly inch forward. It's not a long, long, long wait, but you do have to wait a bit.

What's very irritating is that too many VIP Lenox Road drivers apparently feel that they don't have to wait in line like everyone else, and they put the pedal-to-the-medal and barrow down the left- turn lane ( designed specifically to turn left ) at break-neck speeds and suddenly make a nose dive right in front of you to and expect to be let in, when the four lane road narrows to two lanes.

I'm not particularly surprised that more than a few of these drivers are driving Mercedes, BMW's, Jags, and other expensive cars.

What are your thoughts about Atlanta drivers? Are they rude, and inconsiderate? Do you refuse to drive on 75 or 85? Do you refuse to drive on a certain street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 04:58 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
I agree that Atlanta drivers are rude. However, the behavior you describe is very common in most other large metro areas. I'm originally from the DC area and they do that too. The biggest difference I've seen down here is that people drive faster! So when they hit you, it's going to be bad. I've also noticed, compared to DC, that there are more SUVs and full size pickups, and honestly, those seem to be the worst. People who are nice and considerate in person seem to take on a different persona when behind the wheel of something large and powerful.

I do not have a problem with people changing lanes in front of me IF they signal and move over politely. I will not let anybody rudely shove their way in front of me. A lot of people here will say that they don't use their turn signals because then people will deliberately speed up and not let them in. That is true, but it happens everywhere. I will also not let anybody in who zooms to the front of the lane that is ending, when you KNOW that they probably do it every day! Sorry guy, it ain't happening, and I know you don't want to get a scratch on your new truck Now, when somebody lets me over, I will always give them a wave of thanks. And when somebody waves a thank you at me, it makes me feel good. Come on Georgia drivers, start waving!

Old 09-10-2006, 08:39 AM

148 posts, read 951,385 times
Default Drivers

Sharon,

I'm a long-time resident of Atlanta, but I have lived in other parts of the country. The drivers here are just rude, and reckless.

Driving a small car here is not really smart thinking, even if gas is $5.00 a gallon. As you said, the vehicles here are on the large side--big SUVs and pickup trucks.

Sooner or later you're going to have a car accident. I sometimes avoid taking 285, 75, and 85, because I know the odds are greater that you may have an accident.

Within the past couple of years, the police seem to be cracking down on speeders much more than they did in the past. For years, the police didn't seem to place much of a priority on speeders. As a consequence of that, the speeding just got way out-of-hand.

People don't cut-in line at a movie theatre, or at a grocery store ( at least people under 6' 5" and 275 pounds ), but they do sometimes cut-in line while driving their car. The car does offer a little protection. Life can be a little dangerous, if you cut-in in front of the wrong person.

Five years ago or so a woman cut-in on a guy. I think she just wasn't' paying attention, and that can happen. However, some people do cut-in on purpose, but I dont think she did.

Anyway, the guy followed her to Perimeter Mall, and started crashing his car into hers numerous times. His intention was to demolish her car.

As you said, people can be meek-and-mild, but once they start driving they can have a totally different personality.

I remember reading in the AJC back in around 1994, that there was one exit on 285, somewhere near the airport, and the average clocked speed was 84 miles an hour. I've had drivers pass me going over 100 miles an hour. All of these drivers have been young men under 25.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
The problem with Atlanta drivers is multi-leveled.

First, there is no real driver's ed in the schools in the metro area. Kids are getting behind the wheels of cars with maybe two hours of experience of dad taking them to a Wal-mart parking lot before they go to get their license. They act like angels at the test and in front of mom and dad, but go to the closest high school near you and watch the parking lot clear out - you'll see 16 and 17 year olds talking on cell phones, speeding, tailgaiting, AND carrying 4 other teens in the cars with them. If mommy and daddy could see this -whoah.

Second, Atlanta has a large elderly driver population. So on top of wreckless kids being everywhere, you have 80 year old drivers going 20mph UNDER the speed limit on the same roads. And has anyone ever figured out WHY so many elderly drivers decide that 5pm on Friday is the time they should all get out and drive around (??).

Third, you have people literally from all over the WORLD living here driving cars. So you're on the interstate (pick any of them) driving into the city... in front of you is someone from Mexico who is driving very slowly so as not to be stopped and deported as they're here illegally. Behind you is someone from New York City who's tailgaiting you because they're impatient. On one side is someone from Haiti who used to drive a donkey but is now driving a car for the first time in their life, and on the other side is someone from Japan who's scared crapless. It's actually a wonder there aren't MANY more major accidents on the roads around here every single HOUR considering the extreme mix of drivers we have on all the roads.

Last, it's just plain bad habits. Regardless of age, or where people are from, people here quickly seem to just develop really crapola driving habits. Speeding, tailgating, zipping in and out of lanes too often and without using turn signals, and much much worse, using cell phones while driving!!!

Yep - welcome to Disney. You'll see this same type of thing in other mixed cities like L.A., Miami, etc.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelia View Post
Sharon,

I'm a long-time resident of Atlanta, but I have lived in other parts of the country. The drivers here are just rude, and reckless.

Driving a small car here is not really smart thinking, even if gas is $5.00 a gallon. As you said, the vehicles here are on the large side--big SUVs and pickup trucks.

Sooner or later you're going to have a car accident. I sometimes avoid taking 285, 75, and 85, because I know the odds are greater that you may have an accident.

Within the past couple of years, the police seem to be cracking down on speeders much more than they did in the past. For years, the police didn't seem to place much of a priority on speeders. As a consequence of that, the speeding just got way out-of-hand.

People don't cut-in line at a movie theatre, or at a grocery store ( at least people under 6' 5" and 275 pounds ), but they do sometimes cut-in line while driving their car. The car does offer a little protection. Life can be a little dangerous, if you cut-in in front of the wrong person.

Five years ago or so a woman cut-in on a guy. I think she just wasn't' paying attention, and that can happen. However, some people do cut-in on purpose, but I dont think she did.

Anyway, the guy followed her to Perimeter Mall, and started crashing his car into hers numerous times. His intention was to demolish her car.

As you said, people can be meek-and-mild, but once they start driving they can have a totally different personality.

I remember reading in the AJC back in around 1994, that there was one exit on 285, somewhere near the airport, and the average clocked speed was 84 miles an hour. I've had drivers pass me going over 100 miles an hour. All of these drivers have been young men under 25.
Even if the lady wasn't paying attention and that is why she cut off the guy, this brings up the biggest problem with Atl drivers. They don't know how to pay attention. Half of them are talking on cell phones, most don't check lanes when switching, and I catch people all the time reading or doing make-up. Come on people, if you are going to drive, then drive, don't do something else. Of course this isn't an excuse to chase somebody down and start ramming their car but I sure fell like doing it sometimes.

Personally I have had much better experiences here then in other cities. If you need to turn on a street which is gridlocked people will always let you, if you are need to change lanes and aren't being a jerk, most people will let you in. I have rarely experienced these sort of things in other cities.

Your last comment that all the drivers which are passing at excessive speeds are men under the age of 25 is a pretty poor generalization. Most of the cars I have seen pass at a high rate of speed seem to be very expensive, high performance vehicles, driven by people between the ages of 25 and 40. Most people under the age of 25 can't afford the really expensive cars and most of the people I have seen driving them seem to be a little older. Also while I would argree that the majority of the really excessive drivers are men, I have seen plenty of women driving very, very fast. Also I would tend to argue that just about anything over 75 (in a 55 zone) is excessive, and women make up about half the over 75mph drivers, and the ages are all over the place.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:44 PM

33 posts, read 224,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Even if the lady wasn't paying attention and that is why she cut off the guy, this brings up the biggest problem with Atl drivers. They don't know how to pay attention. Half of them are talking on cell phones, most don't check lanes when switching, and I catch people all the time reading or doing make-up. Come on people, if you are going to drive, then drive, don't do something else.
Here, here. Sounds like here in LA! Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,263 times
Traffic up here in the Charlotte Metro area is just slow and anoying. Traffic in Atlanta is just plain scarry. Especially if you are kinda lost. It's bad when a bus passes you going 80.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
It seems like everyone speeds here. If I did 80 mph on I-95 back in Miami, I'd surely get a ticket. 80 on I-20 here doesn't even get a sideways glance--I'm flowing with traffic!!

You definitely have to be a defensive driver here.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
You know, there are a lot of people that do 80, but that is NOT the norm. I drive on the highways a lot during non-rush hour, so traffic is moving very fast. If I'm doing 80, I'm pretty much passing everybody. Between 70-75 is more normal. Let's not make it worse than it is.

What's really the problem is just BAD drivers. It's not speed alone, it's that they're not paying attention, which is compounded by speed. There are left lane hogs, changing lanes without signaling, missing exits and then trying to cut over. I hate to see folks driving badly and talking on their cell phones, but I also see a lot of bad drivers who are just talking to their passenger and are not focused on their driving.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 PM

34 posts, read 98,775 times
Everyday I leave the house I fear for my life because I have an hour commute from home to work and these people scare the mess out of me. I am lead footed so I can deal with the fast drivers. But in Atlanta, the drivers are reckless and irrespondsible. This morning I almost had an accident because the lady decided she wanted to talk on the phone and put on her lipstick at the same time. Then when I honked my horn she looked at me like I was crazy. I can't wait until they ban cell phones while driving. "GET AN EARPIECE!". Also, I thought it was mandatory to take some type of drivers test when you move into another city. Not Atlanta. You have all these different people with all these different driving styles. That spells DISASTER. A word of advice to all Atlanta drivers, if you are in the far left lane and you're not passing, if someone comes up behind you get over. There is no need for everyone in all the lanes to be going the same speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta