Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:05 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,222,469 times

Advertisements

I have been almost hit by 4 different cars while crossing with the light at 3 different corners in the last 40 minutes. Why don't people yield for pedestrians here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:19 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,949 times
Same reason they don't yield for pedestrians everywhere else: They're morons.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,713,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Same reason they don't yield for pedestrians everywhere else: They're morons.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
THe question should be "Why don't Atlanta transplants yield for Pedestrians?"

Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 PM

I've never experienced such a blatant disregard for pedestrians before I moved here. I've never seen so many pedestrian accidents and deaths before I moved to Georgia. Where I'm from the pedestrian right of way is typically respected. But pedestrians also have sidewalks to walk on there. Georgia has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. I know this has been true since I've lived here and it's still true:

Georgia Pedestrian Death Rate Higher than National Average

The fact that in the 21st century there are still many places in Metro Atlanta and even in Atlanta proper that don't have sidewalks or safe places for pedestrians to walk is highly indicative that this is a place that is car-centric with no regard for pedestrians. People also don't take into account that Georgia doesn't offer driver education.

One of my first memories of moving to Georgia was going home and seeing a person laying dead in the street after being hit by a car.

I think it's funny how some people say how Atlanta is so wonderful that everyone from all over the world wants to live here and they encourage anyone and everyone to move here, yet anything that is wrong with the city, they blame it on transplants. Classic!

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 06-30-2013 at 07:50 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 07:50 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I've never experienced such a blatant disregard for pedestrians before I moved here. I've never seen so many pedestrian accidents and deaths before I moved to Georgia. Where I'm from the pedestrian right of way is typically respected. But pedestrians also have sidewalks to walk on there. Georgia has one of the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. I know this has been true since I've lived here and it's still true:

Georgia Pedestrian Death Rate Higher than National Average

The fact that in the 21st century there are still many places in Metro Atlanta and even in Atlanta proper that don't have sidewalks or safe places for pedestrians to walk is highly indicative that this is a place that is car-centric with no regard for pedestrians. People also don't take into account that Georgia doesn't offer driver education.

I think it's funny how some people say how Atlanta is so wonderful that everyone from all over the world wants to live here and they encourage anyone and everyone to move here, yet anything that is wrong with the city, they blame it on transplants. Classic!

At least we arent as bad as Chicago with pedestrian accidents and shootings. Chicago is looked at as a world class city by some but with the large number of pedestrian accidents and shootings those looking to move to Chicago should move to NYC instead
Hit-and-Run Crashes the Norm in Chicago Pedestrian Deaths | Streetsblog.net

Shootings
2 dead, 18 hurt in shootings since Friday evening: police - Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago Shootings: 7 Dead And Over 41 Reported Wounded In Father's Day Weekend Gun Violence

My first memory in Chicago was going out walking and seeing two dead bodies right on the street. People walked by them like it was the norm there. I don't know if it was a hit and run or what….

Old 06-30-2013, 07:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
I don't think it's people being mean or morons or having blatant disregard....

I think most people just don't think to look for pedestrians. I guess you could call that blatant disregard, but instaed of "I don't care if that person is trying to cross, I'm going to go anyway!" it's more like, "Wow, I didn't even realize that person was trying to cross!"

Old 06-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't think it's people being mean or morons or having blatant disregard....

I think most people just don't think to look for pedestrians. I guess you could call that blatant disregard, but instaed of "I don't care if that person is trying to cross, I'm going to go anyway!" it's more like, "Wow, I didn't even realize that person was trying to cross!"
It's happened to me many times when I have the light and I'm trying to cross, the driver will see me and try to hurry and go instead of waiting for me to cross the street. I see it happen to other pedestrians as well. I also see drivers curse out pedestrians as if they don't have the right to safely cross the street and should yield to cars. People also speed through with the yellow pedestrian signs in the street.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have been almost hit by 4 different cars while crossing with the light at 3 different corners in the last 40 minutes. Why don't people yield for pedestrians here?
Atlanta drivers don't yield for stop signs, stop lights, stopped school buses or emergency vehicles...Why would they yield for pedustrians?

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 06-30-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
At least we arent as bad as Chicago with pedestrian accidents and shootings. Chicago is looked at as a world class city by some but with the large number of pedestrian accidents and shootings those looking to move to Chicago should move to NYC instead
Hit-and-Run Crashes the Norm in Chicago Pedestrian Deaths | Streetsblog.net

Shootings
2 dead, 18 hurt in shootings since Friday evening: police - Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago Shootings: 7 Dead And Over 41 Reported Wounded In Father's Day Weekend Gun Violence

My first memory in Chicago was going out walking and seeing two dead bodies right on the street. People walked by them like it was the norm there. I don't know if it was a hit and run or what….
Pedustrian deaths and gun crime...Classic Chicago.

Many years ago, an uncle of mine who used to drive 18-wheelers was making a delivery in Chicago and drove over what appeared to be a bag of old clothes in the middle of a major road but what turned out be a dead body that was laying in the road and had been hit by multiple cars.

Like Atlanta, Chicago is another city/metro where speeding far in excess of the posted speed limit is a problem (or more like a way of life), only from what I understand, average driving speeds are higher in Metro Atlanta than they are in Chicagoland.

Heck, average driving speeds are supposedly higher in Atlanta than they are in any other major metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta