Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM

246 posts, read 375,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My experience is a bit different. There are several senior communities between my condo and the supermarket. I see them in the crosswalks all the time.
I think the point Ant is making is that your experience is not the norm. Old folks on rascals going 2 MPH through a crosswalk happen a lot less across the metro area, but able bodied pedestrians trotting across a crosswalk at 2 MPH happens a lot more often.

Like I said a couple pages ago, respect goes both ways. Cars need to respect pedestrians, but pedestrians also need to respect cars. When one side feels that they are superior to the other is when you wind up with the situation we have today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 AM

23,487 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
I think the point Ant is making is that your experience is not the norm. Old folks on rascals going 2 MPH through a crosswalk happen a lot less across the metro area, but able bodied pedestrians trotting across a crosswalk at 2 MPH happens a lot more often.

Like I said a couple pages ago, respect goes both ways. Cars need to respect pedestrians, but pedestrians also need to respect cars. When one side feels that they are superior to the other is when you wind up with the situation we have today.
Yeah, the other extreme is Manhattan, where pedestrians aren't about to let a vehicle turn right. Strength in numbers.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post

Pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks. Doesn't matter if they walk slowly because they have the right to. Besides we teach kids not to run when crossing a street because if you fall and are lying in the street, how are cars suppose to see you?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yeah, the other extreme is Manhattan, where pedestrians aren't about to let a vehicle turn right. Strength in numbers.
Agreed. Every time I have gone to NYC, I remind myself why I would never even own a car in the city. With my Southern driving mentality, it would look like a scene out of Grand Theft Auto!

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks. Doesn't matter if they walk slowly because they have the right to. Besides we teach kids not to run when crossing a street because if you fall and are lying in the street, how are cars suppose to see you?
But that is exactly the kind of disrespect I'm talking about. If pedestrians expect drivers to have a sense of courtesy, they need to reciprocate. I'm not saying that pedestrians need to sprint across the street, but don't lollygag when you know that someone is waiting to make a turn against a light or come through an intersection. Pedestrians may have the right of way, but that doesn't mean they have to be disrespectful of others.

I have two kids, age 3 & 6. When we go through a parking lot, across a crosswalk, or in any area where there are cars, I tell them to stay with me, I hold their hand, and I make sure we cross or get out of the way of cars quickly. Kids love to take their sweet time, but I tell them they can take their sweet time when it will not impede others.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying that pedestrians need to sprint across the street, but don't lollygag when you know that someone is waiting to make a turn against a light or come through an intersection. Pedestrians may have the right of way, but that doesn't mean they have to be disrespectful of others.
Its the same as when a car pulls into the crosswalk, forcing the ped into the street. There's needs to be a mutual respect and because cars are bigger, better protected, it needs to start with them.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Its the same as when a car pulls into the crosswalk, forcing the ped into the street. There's needs to be a mutual respect and because cars are bigger, better protected, it needs to start with them.
I'm not taking one side or the other. I agree that when I am running & there is a car in the crosswalk, it pisses me off, but I also never go in front of them into the street. I always go behind that car because if they are in such a rush to go past the solid white line & into the crosswalk, they are probably not looking in both directions to see me coming right in front of them.

And to say that it needs to start with cars once again only further perpetrates the problem of one side vs the other. From a driver perspective, you could say that pedestrians have more flexibility in how they can get from point A to point B, so they need to watch out for cars that are limited in how they can do the same. From a douchebag driver perspective, you can say they are bigger & better protected, so little meat sacks trotting across the street need to get out of the way.

But maybe, if both drivers & pedestrians recognize that they are all just trying to get to their destination, they can cohabitate without thinking one is better than the other & feel an ownership over the other when it comes to roadways & sidewalks.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,402,766 times
The respect should be both ways, but the pedestrian needs to understand to move on out of a sense of self preservation. You don't want someone controlling a lethal weapon to lose patience. Just plain old sense.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not taking one side or the other. I agree that when I am running & there is a car in the crosswalk, it pisses me off, but I also never go in front of them into the street. I always go behind that car because if they are in such a rush to go past the solid white line & into the crosswalk, they are probably not looking in both directions to see me coming right in front of them.
Next time, just run over the hood. I bet that'll get their attention!

Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 AM

725 posts, read 1,280,281 times
Quote:
Next time, just run over the hood. I bet that'll get their attention!
I have sooooo wanted to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta