Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
I don't know...the last time I was in the Northeast, I noticed alot of tailgating, especially in southeastern PA and Mass. For some reason, I noticed alot of tailgating when I visit relatives in Wisconsin. But in the Northeast, they are more likely to "brake-check" you though.
Well I do know, because I lived most of my life in the northeast, got my DL in NY State and drove in the Boston area for 15 years. I'm not sure how plain I can say it... sure there are some people in the northeast who drive like idiots and speed, tailgate, flip off other drivers, etc. The point is that those people are usually exceptions and you don't see them every 5 minutes as you do in Atlanta. The drivers here are just plain rude and dangerous, and whatever the reason is, it's a bold, demonstrable fact.

Case in point...today I had to drive to Charlotte (as I do for business every few weeks). On I-85 in Gwinnett, it was a non-stop mess as people were speeding up to try and squeeze by, and if the couldn't they'd tailgate, then cut someone off as they passed on the left or right. This must have happened as I watched a dozen times in just the time it took me to drive the stretch from Suwanee to I-285. The speed limit is 55 mph in that area and I was doing 65 - 70 mph, with people roaring by me and getting pissed in their mammoth pickups because they wanted me to get out of the way for them (in the 2nd most right lane, not the left lane). It's really sick, and I've never seen anything else like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,311 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well I do know, because I lived most of my life in the northeast, got my DL in NY State and drove in the Boston area for 15 years. I'm not sure how plain I can say it... sure there are some people in the northeast who drive like idiots and speed, tailgate, flip off other drivers, etc. The point is that those people are usually exceptions and you don't see them every 5 minutes as you do in Atlanta. The drivers here are just plain rude and dangerous, and whatever the reason is, it's a bold, demonstrable fact.

Case in point...today I had to drive to Charlotte (as I do for business every few weeks). On I-85 in Gwinnett, it was a non-stop mess as people were speeding up to try and squeeze by, and if the couldn't they'd tailgate, then cut someone off as they passed on the left or right. This must have happened as I watched a dozen times in just the time it took me to drive the stretch from Suwanee to I-285. The speed limit is 55 mph in that area and I was doing 65 - 70 mph, with people roaring by me and getting pissed in their mammoth pickups because they wanted me to get out of the way for them (in the 2nd most right lane, not the left lane). It's really sick, and I've never seen anything else like it.
We were in ATL and rented a car for eight days last month. We drove to Villa Rica, Douglasville, Powder Springs, Grayson, Tucker, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, Camp Creek Parkway, Marietta and Kennesaw. We are relocating from NYC (Brooklyn) so we figured rather than burdern our relatives we would do the driving ourselves. Needless to say we got lost a lot, LOL, but it was some experience. We couldn't figure out why there was so much tailgating, but to tell the truth my husband liked the excessive speed. We were both amazed that people didn't use their signals, signals help so much to assist with the flow of traffic. We have rented cars in Texas, PA, Boston, TN and Florida but I agree, I have never seen anything like the driving in Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,730 times
Default My list may save your life.

I have been commuting in Atlanta for over 15 years and have noticed that things are getting a lot worse out there on the highways. It's definitely a "me first" mentality out there on the roads. To be honest with you, it's sad to see.

I just love it when I go out west. People in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado drive a lot better than we do here in Atlanta.

Anyway, I started noticing the types of vehicles bad drivers use in Atlanta and created a list. While everyone that is on my list may not necessarily be a bad driver, why chance it. So if you see people in these vehicles, move out of their way and let them go by. It's not worth it. BTW. These are not in a particular order.

Hazard Light Drivers. People that drive with hazards in the rain
Drive-Out Tag Drivers. (Tag used after you purchase a vehicle) If you see someone coming up in your rear view mirror like a bat out of hell, changing lanes you can bet that they will have a drive out tag on their vehicle.
Support Education Tag Drivers. People with "Support Education" tags. I think to myself when I see them drive by, support driver’s education.
Jesus Fish Drivers. People with the silver Jesus Fish. Maybe vehicles with several Jesus fishes indicate how many cars they have taken out.
Mattresses on the Roof Drivers. People driving with mattresses on the roof of their economy car. Yeah, sticking your hand out the window is going to keep the thing from flying off and killing someone.
Teenage Drivers. Enough said.
Redneck Truck Drivers. You know the ones that pass you in the fast lane and all you here is a dull roar of their tires. When I see them pass me on the way home going 80mph, I think to myself maybe gas isn’t expensive enough.
Cell Phone Drivers
Minivan Drivers
BMW Drivers.
Buick Drivers.
No-Turn Signal Drivers. When your car was built, the manufacture installed a little lever on your steering column that controls a switch. This switch, when activated sends an electrical signal that will illuminate a bulb in the right or left rear of your vehicle. This will tell other drivers what you are doing.
White Vans with Ladders on top Drivers.
Big Spoilers and Loud Tailpipe Drivers. Usually one in the same.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:47 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times
Atlanta drivers are the worst I have ever seen. I have been to every other state east of the Mississippi and Atlanta is the worst hands down. I worked at the Atlanta Airport for air cargo, and most of the truckers (with experience driving in most all of the major cities in America) told me that Atlanta was the scariest place they have ever driven.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:19 AM

117 posts, read 392,358 times
Lived in NC and was annoyed by the annual car inspections, but they sure kept you appraised of your car's condition. I often wonder why there are so many car fires and breakdowns here . . . then again, there's no governmental 'mommy' to make you go get your car looked at . . .

Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM

321 posts, read 1,557,066 times
I don't think that Atlanta area drivers are a lot worse than anywhere else, they are just a lot faster! Seriously, there are terrible drivers everywhere. One big problem is that they give out drivers licenses way too easily. There should be a couple of years of serious drivers education, and the testing process needs to be a lot more stringent. Learners permits at 16, licenses at 18. Don't pass somebody because they can drive around the parking lot or the block, and remember to stop at the stop sign. They also need to be able to read the Stop sign (and all others too). Some common courtesy needs to also be taught. Things like staying to the right except when passing, using those danged turn signals, stay a certain distance back from the cars in front. Stay OFF the phone, learn to talk to your passenger without looking at them!!

I have thought about becoming a drivers ed instructor because I am so frustrated with all the bad drivers out there. I, of course, am an exceptionally good driver . Except I don't think anybody would hire me because I'd carry along a cattle prod and give anybody a jolt who wasn't paying sufficient attention to the road No, my dad was a real car guy and an excellent driver, and he got me and my brother out in the empty parking lots and even an old race track, and we practiced a lot. We also talked a lot about potential emergency scenarios and what to do.

Another thing that is a real big problem, and my SO is very guilty of this, is getting so mad at what everybody else on the road is doing, and wanting to get revenge for some slight that he takes personally. He gets very upset when somebody slows down to make a turn -- as if we should all be taking 90 degree turns on two wheels!! My philosophy is that I can't change most of the terrible drivers out there, so I just stay out of their way and don't let them upset me. I also try always to take the path of least resistance. Keeps me sane and still enjoying the ride.

Come on people, you don't just get in, turn the key, step on the gas and go. Cars are big and dangerous and I think lots more education is needed before turning those keys over.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM

17 posts, read 54,424 times
But the people who turn really wide(use 1 1/2 lane to turn) dont use them,because the invisable trailer there pulling light,s dont work .

Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
One big problem is that they give out drivers licenses way too easily.
Excellent point. As the father of a 15 year old, I am horrified at the thought of her getting a learner's permit now and being supposedly able to drive a car on her own in less than a year. We have not signed for her permit and will not until she turns 16. There is no need for a 15 year old to be behind the wheel.

GA isn't the same small agricultural state it was years ago, and there should be a different standard for the Atlanta metro counties, similar to the way NY State doesn't allow anyone under 17 (or 18 without driver's ed) to drive in NYC, Long Island, or Westchester.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:52 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galisted View Post
I have been commuting in Atlanta for over 15 years and have noticed that things are getting a lot worse out there on the highways. It's definitely a "me first" mentality out there on the roads. To be honest with you, it's sad to see.

I just love it when I go out west. People in Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado drive a lot better than we do here in Atlanta.

Anyway, I started noticing the types of vehicles bad drivers use in Atlanta and created a list. While everyone that is on my list may not necessarily be a bad driver, why chance it. So if you see people in these vehicles, move out of their way and let them go by. It's not worth it. BTW. These are not in a particular order.

Hazard Light Drivers. People that drive with hazards in the rain
Drive-Out Tag Drivers. (Tag used after you purchase a vehicle) If you see someone coming up in your rear view mirror like a bat out of hell, changing lanes you can bet that they will have a drive out tag on their vehicle.
Support Education Tag Drivers. People with "Support Education" tags. I think to myself when I see them drive by, support driver’s education.
Jesus Fish Drivers. People with the silver Jesus Fish. Maybe vehicles with several Jesus fishes indicate how many cars they have taken out.
Mattresses on the Roof Drivers. People driving with mattresses on the roof of their economy car. Yeah, sticking your hand out the window is going to keep the thing from flying off and killing someone.
Teenage Drivers. Enough said.
Redneck Truck Drivers. You know the ones that pass you in the fast lane and all you here is a dull roar of their tires. When I see them pass me on the way home going 80mph, I think to myself maybe gas isn’t expensive enough.
Cell Phone Drivers
Minivan Drivers
BMW Drivers.
Buick Drivers.
No-Turn Signal Drivers. When your car was built, the manufacture installed a little lever on your steering column that controls a switch. This switch, when activated sends an electrical signal that will illuminate a bulb in the right or left rear of your vehicle. This will tell other drivers what you are doing.
White Vans with Ladders on top Drivers.
Big Spoilers and Loud Tailpipe Drivers. Usually one in the same.
I have to add one more - Big Cadillac with very small driver - scary

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 AM

4 posts, read 15,190 times
Some of you have mentioned wannabee Nascar drivers causing problems. I recall a few years ago Nascar driver Bill Elliott (a native of Georgia) saying that he felt safer driving 200 MPH on a Nascar track that driving on the interstates around Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta