Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:24 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,350,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner2000 View Post
Some of you have mentioned wannabee Nascar drivers causing problems. I recall a few years ago Nascar driver Bill Elliott (a native of Georgia) saying that he felt safer driving 200 MPH on a Nascar track that driving on the interstates around Atlanta!
I would think that that it's actually a fact that you are safer on a Nascar track than on Atlanta streets/highways.

On a different note, turn on your headlights. It starts getting dark at 5:00 this time of year, so just turn them on when you start your car after work. I see people driving 60+ mph at 6 pm with no lights on. Usually one out of every seven or eight cars has no lights on. You might be able to see where you're going with your lights off, but to other drivers you are virtually invisible.

Smarten up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,170,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galisted View Post
[color=black]
No-Turn Signal Drivers. When your car was built, the manufacture installed a little lever on your steering column that controls a switch. This switch, when activated sends an electrical signal that will illuminate a bulb in the right or left rear of your vehicle. This will tell other drivers what you are doing.
I personally think it should tell other drivers what you WILL be doing. That gives them some time to react.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,365,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
  • Don't drive 80 mph
  • Don't sit on my bumper trying to force me to do 80mph (or any speed)
  • Use a turn signal and stop weaving in and out of lanes and hitting your brakes while sitting on my bumper trying to do 80mph
  • Get that damn cell phone out of your ear and pay attention
  • Fix your car. Make sure your tires have tread, your brakes work, and you can see out of that cracked windshield.
How about don't carry your whole house in your pickup truck letting all your crap fly back onto others cars and in the road.....
OMG...on my way driving down here I saw this idiot toting a mattress top of his car and the fool was doing about 70 the mattress was basically in l shape from the wind blowing it up.....I was praying I wasn't the victim of his stupidity that day.......and another guy had about three cars on his pickup truck...(have you ever seen the way dealer tote cars..with two or more on the bottom and some on the top of that holder thingy) well this retard had that on his pickup and his bumper was soooooo low to the ground he almost was making sparks

Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 PM

606 posts, read 2,010,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would think that that it's actually a fact that you are safer on a Nascar track than on Atlanta streets/highways.

On a different note, turn on your headlights. It starts getting dark at 5:00 this time of year, so just turn them on when you start your car after work. I see people driving 60+ mph at 6 pm with no lights on. Usually one out of every seven or eight cars has no lights on. You might be able to see where you're going with your lights off, but to other drivers you are virtually invisible.

Smarten up.
The sun doesnt set until about 530pm, so it's safe to drive without lights on until about 5:45 or so.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 AM

247 posts, read 1,292,550 times
Default Just turn them on

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
The sun doesnt set until about 530pm, so it's safe to drive without lights on until about 5:45 or so.
Please turn your headlights on when it is raining - it is not about you being able to see, it is so that others can see you.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 547 times
It is sadly interesting how people like to drive out in the left hand lane many times at slower than the speed limit even though back a few years back a laws were passed about driving in the left lane specifically..... "As of July 1, 2015 the left lane of a multi-lane highway is for passing. Keep right except to pass on rural roads since...... July 1, 2009. Keep right except to pass where speed limit is at least 65. On multi-lane highways keep right except to pass and move right if blocking overtaking traffic." Sadly the blockage that many do in that left lane forces right lane passing which can be hazardously compared to normal pass on the left. HEY there is nothing wrong with driving SLOWer than the speed limit BUT hey at least have the courtesy (and law following ) to stay to the right ...let the speeders do what they will do.. if they are also breaking laws the Police will deal with them.... and then there is the many who do not use turn signals sometimes causing another potentially dangerous situation. Sadly it really does not appear this is out of state drivers doing this as if it was this same issue would be in many other States... and as someone who has driven the Country many years it is unfortunate but is much more common in the Atlanta area vs allot of the Country.....It is surprising the Police do not step up a bit more about some basic driving issues as the fines could add to the highway and traffic finances.......Being the people here are really great it is so odd that they drive like this often......Lets not even start on the many drivers eyes on their texting ugh.........

Last edited by DasDave; 08-28-2017 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,575,281 times
Tailgaiting and not using turn signals are a big problem here. I had experienced some guy tailgate me in the right lane when the left lane was open for him to go around...this was on Tara BLVD. I was already going ten over the speed limit and I wasn't interested in giving money away to anymore police departments.

I think the bad drivers are those from the small-town South and nervous/confused immigrants learning how to drive along with the younger drivers. It makes for a mix where people just do crazy things on the road.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM

6,663 posts, read 12,166,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
How can you be speeding at 80 mph and "stuck in traffic" at the same time? lol

I've lived in NJ, NV, and GA, and have spent a decent amount of time driving in/around many major cities, and the a-hole driver problem is not at all unique to Atlanta- it occurs in literally every big city. Like one of the previous posters, I too would like to know where this "courteous driver utopia" is that everyone keeps wishing we could be like....
I heard Los Angeles is that place with perfect drivers, lol.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:26 PM

6,663 posts, read 12,166,546 times
But in all seriousness I don't think Atlanta is any worse than other cities I have lived in and driven in, to include San Diego, LA/Orange County, Norfolk/VA Beach, and Jacksonville.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I heard Los Angeles is that place with perfect drivers, lol.
When I was in LA a while back, one thing I did notice is that they rarely "blocked the box". In Atlanta, that's almost a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta