Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:21 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
because that is what the people here in California say so I am putting this here trying to get a different perspective on things.

I am trying to see if there is anyone here who actually prefers living in ATL rather than CA and for non-personal reasons (family, job etc.). If anyone would not leave ATL even if they had the chance to move to CA.

there is also a song "California dreamin..." lol, by Mamas and Papas
Your projecting yourself onto the people of california... Most people there want less people not more.

Having lived in both... Atlanta is a great place. & LA is a great place for completely different reasons. I find that people are usually respond positevly to what there used too. I know people who can't stand ATL, I know people who can't stand LA. If you travel around enough, you begin to understand that nowhere is gonna suit your needs fully. Your happiness is not a function of where you live, but the people you become involved with.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:23 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
because that is what the people here in California say so I am putting this here trying to get a different perspective on things.

I am trying to see if there is anyone here who actually prefers living in ATL rather than CA and for non-personal reasons (family, job etc.). If anyone would not leave ATL even if they had the chance to move to CA.

Sounds like a lot of Californians are full of themselves. It's a nice place, by and large, but if I move to the west coast, it would be my 3rd preference behind Oregon and Washington. And, yes, I prefer Atlanta to CA.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
I could probably go for San Francisco, but I think the cost of living is too high. Also, for the most part I don't especially like people from Cali. I do not consider it the dream place to live in my world, but I'd relocate if enough factors fell into place.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Reasons i wouldnt move to California

I don't like the lifetime alimony laws
it's a community property state
too expensive
taxes too high
too far from family
last call to early
not enough strip clubs

but i do like the weather and the West coast vibe. Great place to visit

Old 09-26-2014, 05:51 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Reasons i wouldnt move to California

I don't like the lifetime alimony laws
it's a community property state
I don't think there is lifetime alimony in CA, it's for half the length of the marriage.

I don't get why community property is an issue, even in GA isn't marital property divided 50/50 in a divorce? In CA property acquired prior to the marriage is separate and after marriage is 50/50. I thought GA had the same system.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times
We've been in Richmond, VA for five years after a lifetime in CA. I always tell people that if you have millions it might be okay, but if you're a regular person you'll be living in sprawl.

We lived in a suburb of SF and my dad commuted into SF an hour in a.m. and in p.m. Not wanting that I moved to Sacramento. No commute, but no culture of any kind. It's improved incrementally, but ick.

Richmond has been awesome. The four seasons, the history, proximity to the beach. Awesome.

We may be moving to Atlanta which is why I'm on here.

And, yes, the No. Ca. beaches are walking/hiking beaches -- not for swimming.

I think the East Coast is waaaaay better.

And if you pay attention to CA politics, you'll soon learn that they're doing abysmally. Your money will go to taxes.

Alley

Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM

495 posts, read 611,078 times
Athens Georgia has more psychedelic progressive arts than the land of fruits and nuts, believe it or not. So if you want the liberal progressiveness (only if you want it) you can find it in Georgia too.

Georgia peaches rival California grapes

From Atlanta, not from beautiful California, you can hop on a 7-hour flight to Paris

Best of all, Georgia everything you get you pay way less for and can travel to Europe OR California every year for the amount of money saved by NOT "living" in California

Also no earthquakes and not too many hurricanes hit direct at Georgia either ...they usually miss GA

You want the equivalent of Yosemite and the Sierra? You get a really good substitute...Appalachia and the smoky mountains to the north.

You also get historic architecture in Savannah on the river that Californians DONT get a taste of! Anywhere

I will say there is a somewhat boring section of Georgia "the I-75 drive Valdosta to Macon ....
But
California has a somewhat boring northeast section

Last edited by Ericthebean; 09-26-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Only if I could work for Google.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 PM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
I have a ex that's moving to Cali. I would visit Cali but not too live it doesn't appeal too me and I still like the fact I can get my money worth in the South and parts of the Midwest and east coast compared to Cali

Old 09-26-2014, 07:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:

How young are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta