Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,145,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
Are you assuming this is the only shelter in the entire city/metro area/state? That if Peachtree-Pine closed, these people would have nowhere else to go? Atlanta has more than its share of outreach centers (at least 38 that I know of) that run programs for people to get to "know better." Peachtree-Pine is for people who know better but don't like the rules required to "do better."

canceltriplea = Anita Beaty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,257,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canceltriplea View Post
Since some people seem to have such a huge problem with the poor, homelessness, poverty and blight...are you willing to support them to increase their income and better themselves?
This place is not supporting them, it is helping the homeless maintain a downward spiral. The open air drug market right outside their doors is not doing anyone any favors. Look at other shelters around Atlanta, its nothing like that.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,559,753 times
so what do you do? Put people that really need shelter out on the street?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM

46 posts, read 68,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
canceltriplea = Anita Beaty
Who?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM

280 posts, read 390,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
No, I volunteer at and donate to other homeless shelters and transitional housing programs, mostly the Atlanta Union Mission and Clifton Sanctuary Ministries. They have programs that help people move up and get on their lives. The Christmas party at the Union Mission's women and children's shelter is a lot of fun.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM

280 posts, read 390,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canceltriplea View Post
Who?
Anita Beaty is the person who runs the Pine street shelter;

Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless - Contact Us

Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Okay, I looked her up. Saw a coupla interview videos on Youtube. I think I vaguely remember a news story when I lived there about a homeless shelter being shut down and sold...? Wasn't she fighting against it because where it stood, the sheer massive size (whole city block I believe...) was worth millions and the city wanted it?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
No, I volunteer at and donate to other homeless shelters and transitional housing programs, mostly the Atlanta Union Mission and Clifton Sanctuary Ministries. They have programs that help people move up and get on their lives. The Christmas party at the Union Mission's women and children's shelter is a lot of fun.
What bothers me about such programs is, they get funding from major foundations, businesses and individual donors. The only option they offer recipients is job/employment searching. They never offer them ways to become financially empowered by working for themselves. Not everybody is job ready, but, many are self employment ready...yet they keep trying to put everybody they encounter into that small, limited options, box.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

It's time to teach and stop giving.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,636,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Send them to Michigan

Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,257,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Send them to Michigan
Come on gerry.

We could be much more humane and transport the homeless to the Cumberland District in Cobb. Plenty of park space to stretch out and have some privacy. Lots of office space and under utilized storefronts that would work great for shelters.

Seriously though, I have not heard of any success stories coming out of the Pine St shelter. Even if it was helpful, it shouldn't be in THAT location. On Atlanta's premier street between Midtown and Downtown? That location is selected and maintained to make sure Atlanta's homeless problem is front and center. While it is not something that should be ignored or brushed to the side, its is completely inappropriate for such an important area of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: