Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 PM

747 posts, read 1,548,629 times

Advertisements

This article does a good job of explaining the dramatic saga that is the Peachtree-Pine Shelter, for anyone interested.

Battle of Atlanta: Fight over a Downtown Homeless Shelter Strains Some Down-Home Ties - Magazine - ABA Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 AM

10,741 posts, read 13,456,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
This article does a good job of explaining the dramatic saga that is the Peachtree-Pine Shelter, for anyone interested.

Battle of Atlanta: Fight over a Downtown Homeless Shelter Strains Some Down-Home Ties - Magazine - ABA Journal
Thanks for posting. Very informative piece. It's hard to believe that in this day and age we cannot, as a society, come up with a better situation for folks needing food and shelter.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:54 AM

112 posts, read 172,003 times
There are plenty of better solutions in Atlanta - Atlanta Union Mission is a good example of a shelter that provides meals, safe shelter, and programs to transition people to permanent housing. Most shelters in the city run good programs that have little negative impact on the surrounding area - that is why they are not in the paper. The Peachtree-Pine shelter is just one of 38 in the downtown area, and it is run poorly. For Anita Beaty to act as if there is nowhere else in Atlanta for people to seek shelter and services to get off the street is a pile of horse manure.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:51 AM

32,046 posts, read 36,960,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStJudge View Post
Most shelters in the city run good programs that have little negative impact on the surrounding area - that is why they are not in the paper. The Peachtree-Pine shelter is just one of 38 in the downtown area, and it is run poorly.
That's a very telling point. Why does one shelter out of 38 have so many problems? They may have a somewhat different clientele, but the fact that they stand out as a problem tells you a lot.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 AM

222 posts, read 589,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a very telling point. Why does one shelter out of 38 have so many problems? They may have a somewhat different clientele, but the fact that they stand out as a problem tells you a lot.
What does it tell you? Without knowing anything about the shelter, the fact that it is having problems, tells you nothing. In fact, from the article, I gather that the sheer size of the shelter may be its biggest factor in all this. I mean, "500-700 men a night" is a heck of a lot bigger than any other shelter in the area. Plus, it doesnt sound like they are getting a fair treatment.

I think the point that has to be emphasized here is that we might agree that the shelter has to go, but until someone comes up with a way to house and care for the 500-700 homeless men, Peachtree-Pine needs to be kept alive.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlawrence View Post
What does it tell you? Without knowing anything about the shelter, the fact that it is having problems, tells you nothing.
The fact that 38 other shelters are operating without these problems tells me that it's not impossible to run a more successful shelter.

Obviously that doesn't tell you what changes need to happen. As I said, one of the problems may be that Peachtree Pine has a different clientele. So you'll have to drill down to see exactly what the issues are and how to deal with them.

But if all the other shelters are more successful, that undercuts the stubborn insistence that Peachtree Pine must continue as it has in the past.

Let's say you're the head of any group of 39 community institutions -- schools, churches, arts festivals, whatever. 38 of them are acknowledged to be doing a good job and are accepted by the surrounding community. One of them, however, generates howls of protest year after year. Is it reasonable to insist that that one playground or festival be allowed to continue what it's doing indefinitely?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

222 posts, read 589,288 times
So... in your example, if the school is failing, close it down?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 AM

124 posts, read 400,781 times
Quote:
What does it tell you? Without knowing anything about the shelter, the fact that it is having problems, tells you nothing. In fact, from the article, I gather that the sheer size of the shelter may be its biggest factor in all this.
This is only my opinion, but I think this article, while striving to give a balanced view, was pretty gentle in its assessment of the Beatys' mismanagement of the shelter. I have been following this story for years (not out of any personal interest... I just like to keep informed) and the conclusion I have drawn is that it is not the size of the shelter that is the problem, but the nutcases that are running it. If you would like to read further, just google it. There are tons of articles about the issue. Even the Beatys' own blog is pretty interesting and sheds light on how they think.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No, of course not. But if it's the one school out of 39 that's failing, that's a pretty good indicator that changes need to be made. And I'm not likely to be fighting to keep the status quo there.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,170,193 times
Quote:
How about "remove the folks who are (mis)managing it"...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: