Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,075,390 times

Advertisements

That may sound good on paper, but I highly doubt that the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Imagine Dragons, Jane's Addiction, and so on allowed clauses in their contracts that said, "If it rains, the event is canceled and you don't get paid."

It pretty much rained all summer this year. How did Lakewood prevent its lawn from getting ruined? Or is it ruined? I can't imagine them canceling events just because it rains.

There must be some kind of solution that would allow the event, but minimize grass damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

It pretty much rained all summer this year. How did Lakewood prevent its lawn from getting ruined? Or is it ruined? I can't imagine them canceling events just because it rains.
The same thought crossed my mind the other day. How do they do it and why can't Piedmont Park use the same techniques for their lawn?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,312,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So let me get this straight.

People tell me that if I live in the city of Atlanta I simply have to accept the fact that lots of people are going to come to my neighborhood from all over the place and get drunk, engage in noisy and destructive behavior, public urination, etc.

And it's disgusting and classist for me to ask who's paying the bill for this?
Arjay, I didn't fully answer your question yesterday. The reason I called your comments classist is because you and AnsleyPark went out of your way, totally unnecessarily, to tell us that you pay 30k a year in property taxes. That comes across as "We're rich and shouldn't have to put up with this."

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,934 times
Sorry to jump in but I've been following this thread and the thought ocurred to me - and I haven't seen it answered. Do those complaining know for sure that the park was damaged to the extent that these posts would make it seem? Have they gone down and looked at it with their own eyes?

If not, then before assuming that MM damaged the park you probably should make sure otherwise your whole argument is moot.

I'm sorry I missed it this year but my other obligation turned out really outstanding - Oh and Arjay - I don't even live in Atlanta & I go to MM. Ha!

That's all. Carry on.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 AM

254 posts, read 370,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Sorry to jump in but I've been following this thread and the thought ocurred to me - and I haven't seen it answered. Do those complaining know for sure that the park was damaged to the extent that these posts would make it seem? Have they gone down and looked at it with their own eyes?

If not, then before assuming that MM damaged the park you probably should make sure otherwise your whole argument is moot.

I'm sorry I missed it this year but my other obligation turned out really outstanding - Oh and Arjay - I don't even live in Atlanta & I go to MM. Ha!

That's all. Carry on.
It wasn't as bad as 2 posters on here would have you believe. I was suprised at how well the grass took that many people on it.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,391,318 times
I live close to the park and I heard MM from where I live. It was not that bad, and the music stopped at 10:45 both Friday and Saturday nights. When I moved to midtown in 2009, I expected to have to put up with some noise and annoyances of intown living (like panhandlers) but I am still glad I moved from the isolation of the suburbs.
Some people go out of town on weekends that major events happen so they don't have to deal with the extra noise, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 AM

246 posts, read 375,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

That's all. Carry on.
I posted pictures on page 1, post #3. The damage was not as bad as some would make it out to be. The park is not destroyed. Mostly it was the areas in front of the stages & around the concessions. Here it is again if you missed it.

2013 Music Midtown The Day After - YouTube

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,842,447 times
Interesting conversation in regards to MM and people upset about grass being damaged.

It is quite amusing and I don't mean to be sarcastic but it really is - being mad over grass lol.

Also, I would think Midtown residents are rather fortunate in regards to only having to deal with festivals such as MM on a very rare basis in their neighborhood so I don't get the complaining either.

I have friends who live in Vine City who have been there for years and they actually find feces all over the place after football games, get ticketed or have their guest ticketed whenever there are "Dome events" and deal with all sorts of **** and throw up all over during the NFL season and when all these college football games come around. And since most of them don't have as their reason "I pay $30K in taxes a year" the city can essentially ignore their concerns and not do anything about it.

So I do think people in the city should get used to the idea that grass will be damaged when there is a concert. I did got to Sweetwater this year and it was cold and rainy that day too and I'm sure the grass was damaged. Grass does grow practically all year so I think it will be okay.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,407,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Arjay, I didn't fully answer your question yesterday. The reason I called your comments classist is because you and AnsleyPark went out of your way, totally unnecessarily, to tell us that you pay 30k a year in property taxes. That comes across as "We're rich and shouldn't have to put up with this."
JPD, that is certainly not the point I was attempting to make, and apologize to you and to anyone else who thought so. My point is that some have worked hard for very many years, and invested time, money and effort into their neighborhoods. It's not about money - it's about years of commitment in whatever form that commitment is made.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
I posted pictures on page 1, post #3. The damage was not as bad as some would make it out to be. The park is not destroyed. Mostly it was the areas in front of the stages & around the concessions. Here it is again if you missed it.

2013 Music Midtown The Day After - YouTube
Thanks! I did miss it. Thanks for posting again. It's not that bad. There are some spots that are pretty ragged looking. I appears that the area where big trucks were faired the worst. I had this vision based on the way some were carrying on that essentially the whole meadow was one big mud pit I suspect, that the contract had contingencies for damage to the grass. I can't imagine that there wouldn't have been those stipulations. At least Atlanta is a temperate climate and you've got a few months still of decent growing, I bet by spring you'd never even notice it.

This thread also made me think of this #firstworldproblems some of you know what I'm talking about and some probably won't

I hope to make it down next year ... depending on line-up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta