Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM

687 posts, read 746,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I hear you, ATLondoner, and agree.

One thing I think we all agree on is that we want Midtown (and Atlanta in general) to be an even more fabulous place to live in the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,311,154 times
Quote:
So you think "that stuff" -- rowdy, disrespectful, drunken behavior, crime, six lane, controlled-access median-divided thoroughfares, strip clubs, late night partying, all in your front yard -- should be the accepted norm for life in the city of Atlanta?

If so we have very different visions of our city.

If that view becomes the dominant one, I'm out of here. Let those who believe in running wild pick up the tab.
"rowdy, disrespectful, drunken behavior, crime, six lane, controlled-access median-divided thoroughfares, strip clubs, late night partying, all in your front yard -- should be the accepted norm for life in the city of Atlanta"

You live a major city. There are going to be tons of people around if you live next to event area like Piedmont park.

There are going to be humans walking around being human. Doing the crap humans do when they get together to have a good time. Some people are going to do stuff they shouldn't. By your rational why even have cops?

Go live in Macon or Columbus. Go live in Douglasville if you don't want to be around people and the good AND the bad being around lots of people brings.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,311,154 times
Also, what on earth is wrong with strips clubs. If that is something the rustles your jimmies you really need to move out to Woodstock or something.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Like many of the long-time Buckhead residents who complained about the old Buckhead Village... They purchased there expecting a quieter (not sure that's the right word) existence. When you pay $30k plus a year in property taxes, there is just a basic quality of life level that you expect. And, Music Midtown came after most of the long-time surrounding residents. Further, most of us old cagers just don't really "get it" - that we have to have large rowdy festivals in, essentially, our back yards for Midtown to be a great place.

It's a matter of generational differences, too, I imagine. The folks in the Peachtree condos are generally much younger than those of us who have been rooted for 20+ years and have pumped a gagillian dollars into the area. I appreciate that the younger folks don't necessarily have the same concerns that the older folks have (at least, I imagine, not to the degree that we have it anyway) and that those folks appreciate events and activities that the older folks may no longer appreciate. But, at the end of the day, that goes a long way in keeping a healthy balance in the area.

So, in my humble opinion, it is good we have these conversations. Keeps us more centered and respectful of all of all of our neighbors, I believe.

But, since I am one week removed from the area, I'll drop out of the conversation. Ya know, we OTPers don't know a thing about ITP living!
This doesn't answer the question of why it's always Midtown residents specifically that complain (on this forum, anyway). I've never seen people from other neighborhoods posting about festivals near their homes damaging their quality of life. I would imagine 420 Fest, for example, is every bit as disruptive to life in Candler Park as Music Midtown is to life in Midtown, but I've never heard complaints from them.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM

284 posts, read 591,399 times
There are community-specific forums where those complaints are made, too--
Have a Sweetwater Complaint or Praise? Write It Up Here | Candler Park Neighborhood Organization

As someone who lived in midtown back when the festival was at the empty future skyscraper hillspace around 12th back in the day, and up to the mid 2000s, I understand the frustration of having your neighborhood fall under siege (whether from drunk littering concert goers, or helicopters flying just above your apt at the crack of dawn for the Peachtree Rd Race)...but you should know what you are signing up for when you live next to the biggest park in town that has many large well-publicized events. No different than living on a parade route in NYC which can be an inconvenience for days on end (think of what goes into the Macy's parade).

t some point I got tired of park visitors and Peachtree/13th st club folks who thought the party/bathroom/trash can, etc extended to my residence and moved to a quieter intown park neighborhood with appropriately scaled festival. I still enjoy going to other intown festivals, especially at Piedmont, but I am glad to escape the crowds when I've had enough.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,998,213 times
Don't lump all Midtown residents in with the complainers. I live in Midtown, and am glad to have events like MM happening all the time.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM

246 posts, read 375,189 times
Quote:
Why is that? I've lived in several big cities and have visited dozens more. Rowdy, disrespectful, drunken and criminal conduct is not the norm and there's no reason it should be. Cities aren't places to run wild.

As I've said many times, I don't have any problem with crowds or heavy traffic, so long as people obey the law and behave with respect toward the community.
Bham said it best..."There are going to be humans walking around being human. Doing the crap humans do when they get together to have a good time." That may not make it right, but good luck trying to change human nature.

Quote:
Obviously if you move next to a mega road that has already been built (or is about to built) you have no basis to complain. I once bought some property near a freeway and it actually turned out to be a good deal.

However, that's not what's being proposed here. People on this board are talking about running such roads through prized, healthy long-established residential neighborhoods after the fact.
That's hardly germane to this thread, but I do agree with you that running a thruway parallel to the connector through midtown/Grant Park/Inman Park/EAV/etc is the dumbest idea of all that have been proposed.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You live a major city. There are going to be tons of people around if you live next to event area like Piedmont park.

There are going to be humans walking around being human. Doing the crap humans do when they get together to have a good time.
It doesn't seem like we are communicating. I've said several times that I'm okay with crowds and people.

What I'm not okay with is obnoxious, disrespectful people who trounce on the communities they visit and play in.

I'm also not okay with ramming six-lane, median-divided, controlled-access roadways through our historic neighborhoods, especially if it's merely for the convenience of cut through drivers who live a county or two away.

These neighborhoods are a critical aspect of our city's existence. They also pick up a humongous part of the tab for everyone else, through both taxes and charitable giving. What do you think Piedmont Park would be like if it hadn't been adopted and supported by the neighborhoods in Midtown and Buckhead?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Like many of the long-time Buckhead residents who complained about the old Buckhead Village... They purchased there expecting a quieter (not sure that's the right word) existence. When you pay $30k plus a year in property taxes, there is just a basic quality of life level that you expect. And, Music Midtown came after most of the long-time surrounding residents. Further, most of us old cagers just don't really "get it" - that we have to have large rowdy festivals in, essentially, our back yards for Midtown to be a great place.

It's a matter of generational differences, too, I imagine. The folks in the Peachtree condos are generally much younger than those of us who have been rooted for 20+ years and have pumped a gagillian dollars into the area. I appreciate that the younger folks don't necessarily have the same concerns that the older folks have (at least, I imagine, not to the degree that we have it anyway) and that those folks appreciate events and activities that the older folks may no longer appreciate. But, at the end of the day, that goes a long way in keeping a healthy balance in the area.

So, in my humble opinion, it is good we have these conversations. Keeps us more centered and respectful of all of all of our neighbors, I believe.

But, since I am one week removed from the area, I'll drop out of the conversation. Ya know, we OTPers don't know a thing about ITP living!
Truer words were never spoken, Ansley. Thank you for saying that.

And I suspect a lot of of die-hard urbanites on this board would be stunned at the immensely powerful role played throughout the city by the residents of Midtown, Buckhead and (gasp!) OTP areas.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
I wasn't at Music Midtown this year.

But I didn't hear any news reports on urnuly conduct. I'm sure there was some...it's a frigging rock concert! Of course there are going to be people screaming, getting drunk, etc. That's what it is, it's something for people to unwind at. It's not Josh Groban at Chastain Park.

I doubt a single soul at MM went there with the attitude of, "let me see how disrepectful I can be to the people who live here." They went to unwind and to celebrate. That's what they did.

The residents of the French Quarter have it right. They know people are going to come and act fools. That what Bourbon Street is for. Instead of complaining about it, though, they made the city respond. Bourbon Street is heavily patrolled by mounted police. Street sweepers come through and clean it all the time. It sounds to me like any beef with MM has more to do with the city not planning or responding well enough than people coming and tearing it up. Plus, people who live in the French Quarter often party there as well. I've met many people who lived there hanging out during Mardi Gras. They don't just sit and complain about all the out-of-towners making it hard to get around....and it IS super hard to get around during that time! They can't claim they didn't know that going in.

I'm concerned about grass because you don't just plant it and voila it comes back. You have to sod it, water it, and keep people off it while it roots. Grass is a bit more complicated. Everything else can be cleaned up. It's not like it was the third Woodstock. Nobody rioted and set the place ablaze.

If you want a quiet intown address, there are plenty out there. Piedmont Park adjacent just isn't one of them, at least not all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta