Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 AM

17 posts, read 36,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_Mia23456 View Post
I constantly hear that Atlanta is the "black mecca," but it certainly doesn't seem like the black dating mecca. Are there plenty of suitable dating options for professional black women?
All in all, based on my experiences while residing in ATL, I can't recommend it because there certainly aren't "plenty of suitable dating options for professional black women." This is not to say that I didn't encounter nice men. But if you are interested in guys who have what you have, it will be a challenge finding them in ATL.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM

259 posts, read 394,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Bear2312 View Post
In Atlanta, this is often difficult, because most men and women of various ethnic groups tend to associate only with others of the same ethnic/racial group outside of work.

That's an option, but the person has to be prepared to encounter a number of conflicts. A man who works in maintenance or as a store clerk, will not (usually) have a lot in common w/ an attorney, executive or physician. This is just common sense. I'm not saying that it can't work out, but usually, it will not, because professional people often enjoy doing things that many non professionals may not enjoy. More than likely she will be interested in eating healthy foods, museums, reading, vacationing around the world, learning a new language, and residing in a more affluent community. The non professional guy may view these activities as "bourgeoisie" and become easily offended.

Also, he may dislike the fact that she makes substantially more than him. I don’t think many guys would have an issue with a woman earning 10K or so more than them, but if her salary was 100K or more, many would have serious issues w/ this.

Young women typically prefer men who are of a similar age range. Most young women do not want someone older, unless they are substantially wealthy, or have some other great attribute. I'm just being honest.

Lowering your standards may not be such a good idea, because then you are settling for something less than what you want and you may become very unhappy with your decision.

1. No one said to lower any standards.

2. People can have same interest regardless of what is deemed " professional". No having a degree doesn't mean you are wont enjoy things or make "100k" less.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
To clarify, yes, it's rare, but on the few occasions that I spotted interracial dating, it was usually black men with non black women. Note that the couples were usually older (mid 40s or so). Rarely did I see young interracial couples out and about in Atlanta...
Your experience is limited.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
2. People can have same interest regardless of what is deemed " professional". No having a degree doesn't mean you are wont enjoy things or make "100k" less.
This is true, but more often than not, our socioeconomic background plays a major role in the activities that we enjoy engaging in. I love to travel overseas, read, visit museums and I abhor fast food restaurants. I simply didn't encounter working class guys in ATL who had similar interests. This doesn't mean that they were bad or unkind; we were simply from vastly different backgrounds.

Perhaps Mia will have a different experience, because let's face it, we are all individuals therefore she may have a very outgoing personality or have a substantial network which allows her to branch out and meet like minded individuals outside of work...

Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
This is true, but more often than not, our socioeconomic background plays a major role in the activities that we enjoy engaging in. I love to travel overseas, read, visit museums and I abhor fast food restaurants. I simply didn't encounter working class guys in ATL who had similar interests. This doesn't mean that they were bad or unkind; we were simply from vastly different backgrounds.

Perhaps Mia will have a different experience, because let's face it, we are all individuals therefore she may have a very outgoing personality or have a substantial network which allows her to branch out and meet like minded individuals outside of work...
I find people who haven't been to college caring more about that stuff. Many of them came up poor or middle class but love culture and reading.

You experienced is limited. College has little do with a person's socioeconomic background or cultural interest.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,553,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Honestly in the good ole U.S. of A. there is no such thing as a "black mecca", therefore the Atlanta dating scene for black men and women is no different than any other city with a like type demographic. I have many female friends sprinkled around the country, and a few who live in London and I hear the same thing. "There are not enough good black men here"! In NYC, DC, Baltimore, L.A., Chicago, Atlanta...etc...etc...etc...

I am a "professional" black man who has primarily dated all type of professional woman from MBAs to PHDs to MDs to JDs to blah blah blah blah blah blah, and what I find that just because a person looks good on paper doesn't make them a suitable mate. Instead of an impressive resume, the focus should be on a good heart and positive energy.

Good Luck!

I totally agree with this

Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Honestly in the good ole U.S. of A. there is no such thing as a "black mecca", therefore the Atlanta dating scene for black men and women is no different than any other city with a like type demographic. I have many female friends sprinkled around the country, and a few who live in London and I hear the same thing. "There are not enough good black men here"! In NYC, DC, Baltimore, L.A., Chicago, Atlanta...etc...etc...etc...
I have black British friends in London and I've never heard such things concerning poor dating options for professional black women, because in truth, there are a sizeable number of professional black men and professional non black men in London. It's a true cosmopolitan city in every regard, and shouldn't be compared to a pedestrian city like Atlanta.

Quote:
I am a "professional" black man who has primarily dated all type of professional woman from MBAs to PHDs to MDs to JDs to blah blah blah blah blah blah, and what I find that just because a person looks good on paper doesn't make them a suitable mate. Instead of an impressive resume, the focus should be on a good heart and positive energy.
Sure, the focus should be on a good heart and positive energy, but that doesn't mean a person shouldn't also seek out someone with similar professional attributes, as well.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
I find people who haven't been to college caring more about that stuff. Many of them came up poor or middle class but love culture and reading.

You experienced is limited. College has little do with a person's socioeconomic background or cultural interest.
I believe primary socialization and education (or lack thereof) play a very important role in explaining why people exhibit different behavioral patterns and interests.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 PM

119 posts, read 212,686 times
Dating sucks in Atlanta for a black woman!! I don't even want to date a black man!! All the black men I have encountered want me to bring something to table and do things for them. What does that even mean??? I'm in my early 30's, has a job, my own car, a condo and I have been to college. What else do I need? I'm overweight but all of my overweight friends have found mates. I simply do not get it......

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Also, he may dislike the fact that she makes substantially more than him. I don’t think many guys would have an issue with a woman earning 10K or so more than them, but if her salary was 100K or more, many would have serious issues w/ this.
I don't understand that. If a man is threatened by his partner making more money than he does, he needs to seriously get over himself.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta