Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 25,507 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to ATL this summer, narrowing my rental search to Decatur, Midtown, Virginia Highlands, East Point/College Park/Hapeville. I will work in Morrow. What are some recommended neighborhoods for a single, 40ish, straight (but not narrow!), liberal/progressive, professional woman? I would like to rent an apartment/house for less than 1000/month. I will try to carve out a social life in or past the neighborhood, but I would like to have to feel comfortable with and have at least something in common with neighborhoods.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,254 times
I would suggest Midtown, Inman Park or Virginia Highland. You will be doing a reverse commute, so living in the city, you wouldn't have to fight too much traffic. I live in Midtown and absolutely love it. You will, however, have a hard time finding something under $1000/month if you choose to live in Midtown. I pay about 900/month for a 630 square foot efficiency studio (I like to call it a glorified studio). But, I have great location and a view of the city. Downtown and West Midtown is also an option!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avr284 View Post
... You will be doing a reverse commute, so living in the city, you wouldn't have to fight too much traffic.....
At one point I would fully agree; however, on my recent assignment, I have to travel Southbound on the connector and I found the traffic to be relatively troublesome until one passes the southbound I-20 exits on the Connector.

I would think VaHi would be looking at an average 45 minute commute. Certain parts of Decatur, one may opt to take 285 to 75-S. Certainly the traffic pattern is still better south bound vs. north bound but still plan accordingly from any of the Northern aforementioned neighborhoods. As the warmer weather comes closer, expect longer commutes in the evening.

Now, from a social aspect, I would 100% recommend you NOT live in Clayton County. Nothing about the county will match with a young professional who wants a social life and the safety factor is less than desirable (IMHO).

Not sure where you are relocating from but expect to spend money to get a desirable place to live. If you want safety, amenities, location, expect it at a high cost and low square footage. Visit at least 5 complexes per city you are scouting just so you have an idea what 750 is worth versus 1,000 in Atlanta. Trust me you will thank me later. Drive by the complexes you like most at night to see who really lives there.

As far as gated communities, unless a security guard is monitoring the gate expect at some point for that gate to be inoperable, for whatever reason.

Don't mistrust popular neighborhoods/communities/cities as 100% full-proof safety. It is these areas that will likely draw culprits who think there is something have value for the takings.

Visit the local police department to investigate the number of crimes/call to a certain area.

Bigger apartment complexes doesn't always mean better. Find out the age of the unit. How many FT maintenance staff. Office hours. Flexibility of when rent is due (1st, 3rd, or 5th). Method to pay rent (office, drop box, online, check, credit card). Consider terms of lease (will they let you break for job relocation purposes or do rates change base on the length of term of the lease). What external costs exist (trash, water and sewage, electricity, gas, alarm surveillance, parking or garage et al)? Those costs can take $1,000 rent to $1300+.

More generic things to consider. Do you want to live in a walkable area? Do you expect to use Marta frequently? Since you will have a commute, consider how close/far you want to live to the highways.

I have lived in several cities (large and small) and Atlanta leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to a renters lifestyle. Bottom line, you have to pay to get what you want.

Best of luck on your search. Hope I didn't over load you but there is so much I wish I had done ahead of time on my first move.

Last edited by cityhopper; 04-05-2009 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: typos, typos, typos

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 25,507 times
Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta