Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM

8 posts, read 25,489 times

Advertisements

Is Midtown safe for a single 40ish woman? Looking for place to live. Will commute to work in Morrow. What about returning home at night? Is offstreet parking generally available with Midtown rentals? I would like to have the city available to me after work, but yet feel 'reasonably safe' at home. Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 AM

248 posts, read 648,712 times
'Midtown' describes a pretty big chunk of land, and some spots have more crime than others. Where exactly in Midtown will you be living? Peachtree corridor? One of the east neighborhoods (such as Poncey Highland)?

I live in the north end of Midtown off Peachtree with my wife and little boy and feel that it's a safe place at night. We walk to restaurants in the evening and have had no trouble, though we usually are not out and about after 8:30pm or so.

I park offstreet -- a few months ago there were a couple of car break ins on our street, but if you make sure to not have anything of value sitting out in your car when you leave it, you should be all right.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,527 times
Agree with reet4587. Specifics in midtown are key. And, like in any big city, being cautious (extra cautious) when you're walking somewhere alone (night or day) is imperative. Are you looking at some of the bigger complexes? I like the idea of a concierge or someone who can welcome you into a building when you live alone.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,596 times
I have lived in several areas of Midtown. In general, the farther north the better. South of Ponce is where crime originates.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drocedus View Post
I have lived in several areas of Midtown. In general, the farther north the better. South of Ponce is where crime originates.
In that part of Midtown, I would even suggest staying above 5th Street. I agree that Ponce still feels sketchy (largely due to Boulevard and Parkway).

Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 PM

8 posts, read 25,489 times
What about Peachtree Street-ish (as you suggest, above 5th Street, but not so far north, considering my commute)? Piedmont Parkish? I'm also looking at Decatur. What do you suggest for looking for apartments/condos in those areas (property managers, realtors, websites)? Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM

25 posts, read 77,584 times
I live in Plaza Midtown and I feel pretty safe. I wouldn't walk around the block by myself at night, but do feel safe coming and going in the car at night - and walking to Publix and the restaurants on the building's ground floor

I looked at Mayfair Renaissance, Metropolis, Viewpoint and Spire and they seem to be good bets as well.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,444 times
South of North Avenue, at least around Peachtree, is not considered Midtown but is SoNo. I always thought of Midtown being from North Ave up to 17th or so. Indeed that is the general area for the midtown mile on Peachtree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drocedus View Post

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,900 times
The areas around piedmont park are very nice and historic. I would also check out around druid hills, and virginia highlands. These areas are alittle expensive but the properties are gorgeous.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
There are some great buildings in the Ponce area as well...I guess most people feel like the "criminals" from Boulevard can't travel the few extra blocks up to 14th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: