Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 04:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,625,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Here is an "ok" map for the elementary school zones for DeKalb County Schools (2009-2010):

http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/public/f...BC996C85CD.pdf
This is an interesting map and it confirms something that I'd wondered about, why are there so many elementary schools in Dunwoody and why are they literally on top on each other? I look at the other schools in the county and it seems that they're much better distributed. I mean, I understand that they're probably bigger schools, but it seems to me that there are like five elementary schools in a five mile radius. When you factor in the middle and high school, plus the community college it's absolutely nuts. Does anyone have any insight into this? And it looks as though someone gerrymandered the heck out of the Kingsley and Austin districts. Anyone have any idea why this was done? I assume it was political. Perhaps to evenly distribute the "dreaded apartment kids," but I don't know enough about the area to know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
This is an interesting map and it confirms something that I'd wondered about, why are there so many elementary schools in Dunwoody and why are they literally on top on each other? I look at the other schools in the county and it seems that they're much better distributed. I mean, I understand that they're probably bigger schools, but it seems to me that there are like five elementary schools in a five mile radius. When you factor in the middle and high school, plus the community college it's absolutely nuts. Does anyone have any insight into this? And it looks as though someone gerrymandered the heck out of the Kingsley and Austin districts. Anyone have any idea why this was done? I assume it was political. Perhaps to evenly distribute the "dreaded apartment kids," but I don't know enough about the area to know for sure.

On one hand, I thinks it's nice that Dunwoody has a lot of elementary schools--there's also a high concentration of people/families/children in Dunwoody. However, the "Dunwoody apartment district" totally could have been distributed better between the schools.

Issue like this (concentration of apartments, lower SES, public housing, etc.) have been dealt with effectively in other school districts (ie. Coweta County/Newnan, City Schools of Decatur, etc.)--by splitting up the area.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM

Great article...

Bill Maher: New Rule: Let's Not Fire the Teachers When Students Don't Learn -- Let's Fire the Parents

Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Here is some great information about Buckhead schools:

More kids stick with Buckhead schools *| ajc.com

Buckhead parents return to public schools. Are privates losing enrollment? | Get Schooled

This is great for Buckhead residents--and for the City of Atlanta/Atlanta Public Schools as a whole.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Updated version of Cobb County Schools Over/Under Capacity Maps--current status and 2013 projections. These maps include current and projected 2013 school populations:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/Current_vs_2013_High.pdf

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/Current_vs_2013_Middle.pdf

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/Current_vs_2013_Elementary.pdf

Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 13,941 times
Is anyone familiar with Mt. Pisgah or Kings Ridge?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 AM

15 posts, read 46,662 times
Re: districting and large numbers of schools in one area versus another--don't forget about that abhorrent institution known as segregation. Georgia was one of the LAST states in the country to full desegregate. Many districts were purposely designed to create segregated schools that did not appear to be segregated at first glance. Whole districts exist because of segregation (Carrollton City Schools, for example).

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm a product of Georgia schools, my mother teaches for them, and I whole heartedly believe there are great schools here. But, it doesn't hurt to take things with a dose of reality.

Unrelated advice, make sure you check out how the school district(s) in the area you would like to move are handling the economic crunch. Cobb has great schools, but they aren't looking so great in the press--up to six furlough days for teachers, massive (negative) changes to transportation, potential loss of programs, et cetera. On the other hand, Gwinnett, another massive district, is trying to expand. Just goes to show how quickly things can change around here.

I graduated from Cobb Schools (McEachern--my advice, avoid it, the gloss is completely false), but spent my senior year in college (Georgia State) largely because of the AMAZING education I received in Coweta County Schools (Elm Street Elementary, Evans Middle, and Newnan High). I graduated with Latin Honors (argh they won't let you type C-U-M laude) and went on to graduate study at Johns Hopkins. Great things do come out of Georgia Schools, but eyes wide open is always the best policy.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:48 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,424,853 times
Is it better to go with private or public schools in the Atlanta area? Opinions???

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,126,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Is it better to go with private or public schools in the Atlanta area? Opinions???
I suspect that largely depends on the schools you are zoned for and the specific programs and perhaps social environment you desire for your children.

Some folks get uptight about the strangest things, while other public schools might have valid issues.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM

15 posts, read 74,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
It truly depends upon the schools. Without a direct comparison among two or more schools, it's hard to say. Of course, it also depends upon other factors such as your values, beliefs and the needs of the child. Atlanta does have some very good schools, both public and private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta