Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,388 times

Advertisements

The racist and classist comments on the AJC blog disgust me. In Canada (my previous home) and other countries, people commonly believe the US South is still backward and racist. Unfortunately, the people commenting on the AJC blog are earning that reputation with all their might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
The racist and classist comments on the AJC blog disgust me. In Canada (my previous home) and other countries, people commonly believe the US South is still backward and racist. Unfortunately, the people commenting on the AJC blog are earning that reputation with all their might.
Yes. I am very disgusted myself. I'm glad you said something about it.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:35 PM

153 posts, read 380,754 times
You all are not alone in your thoughts about the AJC blog. I am an educator in Gwinnett county. I am also a Black woman. There are so many times I've read the blog and became infuriated with the comments. I love to read other perceptions and learn things. However, I will be the first to say...I want SO desperately to move my young child away from here. I know it isn't all LOVELY elsewhere and that every place has their own share of problems, however, I am so sick and tired of the foolishness that spouts abundantly here.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 31,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post
For what it's worth, US News & World Report just issued their 2010 Best High Schools.

No Atlanta schools are in the top 100.

Overall, Georgia ranks 20th in the nation on this report.

You can check the rankings of GA schools at the magazine's web site:

America's Best High Schools 2010 - US News Education
I think you've got to remember that private schools are not part of the list. I think if anyone is interested in Atlanta schools, you have to start with Westminster. People outside of Buckhead in Atlanta aren't aware that the wealthiest non-boarding school in the US that also has the highest SAT scores south of NYC and east of Westwood, CA just happens to be in Atlanta. While small, it also has arguably the best athletic program in the state (most state championships in GA history, a gym with rock-climbing, squash, indoor track, etc).

Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo799 View Post
I think you've got to remember that private schools are not part of the list. I think if anyone is interested in Atlanta schools, you have to start with Westminster. People outside of Buckhead in Atlanta aren't aware that the wealthiest non-boarding school in the US that also has the highest SAT scores south of NYC and east of Westwood, CA just happens to be in Atlanta. While small, it also has arguably the best athletic program in the state (most state championships in GA history, a gym with rock-climbing, squash, indoor track, etc).
I am sure it is a fine school. I am curious as to why private schools don't publish their standardized test (SAT, ACT) scores. Your comment about SAT scores is a bold one.......How did you access the test scores?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Easy-to-Read Gwinnett County Schools Cluster Map:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post12609437

Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 20,339 times
Default Public v. Private School Comparisons?

Hello Friends,

Has anyone come across any resources that include ratings/rankings for public and private schools? We are moving to ATL soon and want to better understand public v. private. Looking around Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Duluth, Suwanee, Sandy Springs, and Decatur.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

102 posts, read 389,309 times
Default Public v. private

Your best bet that I know of is greatschools.net. It's not perfect, but it gives a pretty good idea of what parents think of a given school. It includes private and public schools. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Here is an "ok" map for the elementary school zones for DeKalb County Schools (2009-2010):

http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/public/f...BC996C85CD.pdf

Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Here is information that I think is helpful for this Education/Schools thread--and directly relates to many of the education/schools issues we have here in Metro Atlanta and the State of Georgia. Many of you should definitely go read this book:

The Death and Life of the Great American School System
by Diane Ravitch

http://www.writersreps.com/book.aspx?BookID=576

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/03/05/diane-ravitch-education-has-become-search-and-destroy-mission-and-teachers-are-the-targets/

http://www.goldbergmcduffie.com/projects/ravitich_diane/index.html

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Great-American-School-System/dp/0465014917

Read, Enjoy, and Learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta