Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 AM

492 posts, read 796,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
Find a job, yes.

But also recognize that there are expenses that stay the same: food. Social life. Cable. Utilities. In some cases, the maintenance expenses are far more than I've seen in the northeast (depending on owning or renting).

Also recognize that, in the end, as with anywhere, you will pay for what you really want, depending on what's important for you. You hear that the cost of living is better here. Sure. On the surface.

But, as a for instance, I like Inman Park, and new townhomes here are going for the $500Ks. This is more than they go for for the same thing where I lived 30 miles outside of Manhattan, which, frankly, had a lot more going on than Inman Park does. Outside of the quick train ride to NYC, you also had a downtown area that was about six times the size of Inman Park. And you could get a great townhome in the $300Ks.

(And, I am sorry, but 30 miles outside of Manhattan is more urban, in many ways, than Inman Park.)

Please note I am not complaining--I love where I live and I'm happy to be here. But Atlanta is not like a northeast city, and that's both good and bad. It makes it difficult to compare apples to oranges.

My point is that you really have to think through what's important to you and not just look at a false "cost of living" idea.
What city are you talking about 30 miles outside Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,579,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
Considering a move to Atlanta. I currently live in Fairfax county, VA, a suburb of DC. I am a special education teacher and while I love the school that I work at now, I just feel I need a change or a new start. Additionally, Atlanta's cost of living is also very enticing. As a single mom, I am not really making enough money to enjoy DC the way I would like. Ideally, I would like an area with good daycares (my son is 3) and schools. I would also like to work at a school similar to what I have now...minimal behavior problems and very involved parents. I am not concerned about making less money as the cost of living should balance out. I have been trying to convince my boyfriend to make the move to Atlanta as well, but he is afraid to leave his current job (he is a licensed HVAC tech), yet he also realizes that the DC metro is no longer providing access to the lifestyle he wants either. Does the move to Atlanta seem like a good idea and if so, what are the best areas and districts that I should apply? I'm thinking that since I teach Sped I should be able to find a job fairly easy. Is this correct? Your advice is greatly appreciated as the move to Atlanta is a serious consideration for me right now.
I say come on down, Atlanta is the perfect city for any black woman, you will just love it. Many jobs are available & ready to hire now that the econmy is changing. Don't hesitate make that move soon. It will only be a positive experiece for you.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
joey86 I am definately a car person. Since I can't afford to live in DC I'm not really having a city life at all. Unfortunately, my life right now is more suburban than I would like. Plus I think the suburbs are usually good places to raise children. I was born and raised in Chicago (still have quite a bit of family there), but I would not ever move back there to raise my son. Way too violent.
That's a very wise choice not to raise your son in Chicago, Atlanta doesn't have any of the hard core crime that Chicago deals with. Based on your post Atlanta is the perfect city for you, you should really move down so that you may enjoy life again. Everything you could imagine is right here in Atlanta waiting for you & jobs are plentiful.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 AM

150 posts, read 255,822 times
Thank you all so much. I am so excited that I can hardly contain myself. I will definately have that job lined up first. I forgot to mention that my parents are retiring to Orlando, FL. Their house is already on the market and when it sells they are gone. So moving to Atlanta will definately be closer to them. I can't see myself really living in Orlando, but I do love Disney and being a teacher I can always spend the summers with them. Now if only my boyfriend would come around and see the light. LOL

Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Starfish 27 you will be suprised. Fairfax schools has a great reputation, but it depends on the location. I often tell people I don't think that schools in Fairfax are that much better. The difference is the level of parent involvement. So many students have private tutors, other enrichment activities, etc. that give students a leg up over other surrounding areas, esp. when it comes to testing.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:23 AM

Blackpeach2 it's good to hear jobs are plentiful. The country is definately on the road to recovery. Chicago is definately a mess right now. I will always have love for the CHI, but it's just not the same as when I was coming up. In fact, whenever I go back and visit my family still there, they all talk about how they are trying to move to Atlanta. And I have alot of family. LOL

Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 AM

492 posts, read 796,075 times
I thought there were too many eligible black women for each eligible black man? Of course this is assuming you don't date interracially.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:50 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,174,546 times
VAcollins,

I am a little surprised that Blackpeach is giving you the all clear on Atlanta crime. I know Chicago as I was born and raised there. While Atlanta is not on the level of the 100 days of killing that Chicago has had the past few summers, Atlanta was not long ago the murder capital and Atlanta is very much a dangerous place to live. Please do not be mislead. It is a big city and crime is high. Especially amongst African-American men, unfortunately like many cities around the country. This is real life and you have to watch your son here just like most major cities. Please don't be mislead about the crime and dangers of Atlanta. South Dekalb county and some parts of Southwest Atlanta, for example, are very high in crime amongst African-American young men. Safeguard your son just like you would do in Chicago.

Also, I am not sure where Blackpeach is getting her information from but my husband has worked for the public school system for 20 years so I know what is going on from the inside out. Public school teacher jobs are NOT plentiful. Do you know that almost every school district in the metro Atlanta area started closing schools last year and the year before? That means lots of unemployed teachers. Including special ed teachers. Special ed teachers are not a rarity, especially when you have special ed teachers who already live in Atlanta who have connections and have been put out of work. You will also want to know that special ed teachers carry a tremendous burden in some school districts with the paperwork, etc. that is now loaded on them on top of everything else due to cutbacks. Some school districts are better than others.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am just trying to give you an actual real perspective from someone who is married to someone on the inside of the educational system in Georgia. And the perspective of someone who is from Chicago and know what you fear about that place. As I said, it's not what Chicago is right now but it's far from being as safe as where you are right now. Gun violence is very amongst youth is very much a part of the culture here in Atlanta just as it is (unfortunately) in many major cities.

Quote:
Blackpeach2 it's good to hear jobs are plentiful. The country is definately on the road to recovery. Chicago is definately a mess right now. I will always have love for the CHI, but it's just not the same as when I was coming up. In fact, whenever I go back and visit my family still there, they all talk about how they are trying to move to Atlanta. And I have alot of family. LOL

Old 02-16-2013, 05:15 PM

141 posts, read 301,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
VAcollins,

Also, I am not sure where Blackpeach is getting her information from but my husband has worked for the public school system for 20 years so I know what is going on from the inside out. Public school teacher jobs are NOT plentiful. Do you know that almost every school district in the metro Atlanta area started closing schools last year and the year before? That means lots of unemployed teachers. Including special ed teachers. Special ed teachers are not a rarity, especially when you have special ed teachers who already live in Atlanta who have connections and have been put out of work. You will also want to know that special ed teachers carry a tremendous burden in some school districts with the paperwork, etc. that is now loaded on them on top of everything else due to cutbacks. Some school districts are better than others.

I am not trying to discourage you. I am just trying to give you an actual real perspective from someone who is married to someone on the inside of the educational system in Georgia. And the perspective of someone who is from Chicago and know what you fear about that place. As I said, it's not what Chicago is right now but it's far from being as safe as where you are right now. Gun violence is very amongst youth is very much a part of the culture here in Atlanta just as it is (unfortunately) in many major cities.
Great points. I work in education as well and jobs are certainly not plentiful. Teachers with 20-something years of experience are being laid off. My neighborhood middle and high school were both shut down. Good thing I didn't move here for the schools! Even jobs in traditionally high demand areas like math, science, and special ed are hard to come by. I know several teachers with decades of experience in local schools in those areas that can't find a job and have been looking for well over a year.

Vacollins, I would recommend you come down and check it out for yourself. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you. I do love my city for a ton of different reasons, but education is not one them. Being a fellow educator with experience in schools with a good reputation, I think you'll see what I mean when you take a look at our schools. The good ones here look quite mediocre next to the least desirable schools in Fairfax co. I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for much needed improvement. GA kids deserve so much more than what's available to them.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you all so much. I am so excited that I can hardly contain myself. I will definately have that job lined up first. I forgot to mention that my parents are retiring to Orlando, FL. Their house is already on the market and when it sells they are gone. So moving to Atlanta will definately be closer to them. I can't see myself really living in Orlando, but I do love Disney and being a teacher I can always spend the summers with them. Now if only my boyfriend would come around and see the light. LOL
Tell your boyfriend to come a long with you, he will love it just like you will & if he doesn't well then you can easily find a new one when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta