Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,925 times

Advertisements

Hey there

I live in Indianapolis and I don't like it. I have been thinking about moving to Atlanta. About me I am a single 26 year old female who is very open minded and educated, loves warm weather, likes to meet interesting and educated people.I like to be around friendly people not into club scene too much but likes entertainment.

I really need some good suggestions.

I have never been to Atlanta but it looks lovely on pictures and something is telling me that it would be better than Indy. I don't drive and I am a university student and I work part time at a hotel as a front desk person. I would love to transfer to Georgia State University's Nursing program one day.

What are the chances of me getting a job in hospitality and be able to support myself without needing anybody and do anyone know about the nursing program there?

Where would be a good neighborhood to live in for a person like me?

I want to come there after I save some money. Do you guys think I will have hard time getting a job at the hospitality / hotel sector while I go to school on Georgia State?

This post is very serious because this will affect my near future. I would really appreciate good suggestions and help.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
How do you plan to pay for GSU and pay your living expenses on a part-time hotel front desk salary if you're living alone? Anything near transit to get to GSU that's safe is going to run you at least $800/month.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
Moving down here without a job will be a big risk. There are plenty of large hotels in town, I would contact their HR departments to find out whether you could get hired there, or whether they know of any openings elsewhere in the industry.

If you like to be around educated people then I would start with the Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center (Georgia Tech Hotel & Conference Center – Atlanta Hotel). You would get to work in your industry and be around smart college students and professors.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM

497 posts, read 696,986 times
Here are my suggestions:

1.) Visit the area first and spend a couple of days exploring the area.
2.) Establish Georgia residency before you enroll in school. In-state tuition will save you lots of money.
3.) Inquire with your current employer about transferring to one of their Atlanta locations - if you currently work for a larger hotel chain.

I agree with BobKovacs. I think living in Atlanta on a part-time salary will be very difficult - unless you are taking out loans to help pay for living expenses.

Lastly, why not stay in Indy and finish school? Once you graduate, then pursue job opportunities in Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,331 times
Indianapolis? Why not go to Chicago or Minneapolis?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Atlanta would fit you perfectly. Atlanta is one of the top cities with the fastest growing job rates in the country. Perfect city if you ever wanted to start a business. You also can get here via Megabus connecting in Knoxville from your hometown.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 AM

I thank everybody that had some good advices it really made a difference. I did talk to HR department in Atlanta because I work at a world wide known luxury hotel. Transferring is very possible but they didn't have the opening on my department she told me to fax my resume immediately and check back very often.

GSU and IUPUI tutitions are the same and I do qualify for scholarships and grants&loans so school payments are not the problem but out of state is the catch. That's why I thought about working full time in Atlanta for the same hotel or similar for a year and becoming in-state.

That's why I was asking you guys If it would be easy to get a job in the hotel industry since i dont know the job market and how the economy works down there. We do have a lot of hotels in indy also but getting a job is very difficult over here. Not a lot of openings and a lot of applications on the same job and Indy is a laid back city. Things take too long to happen. lol

Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Indianapolis? Why not go to Chicago or Minneapolis?

Good idea but I mentioned how I loved warm weather and Chicago and Minneapolis is pretty north and winters are not something you would want to deal with. I have been there many times its beautiful but nah I am good lol.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 AM

270 posts, read 587,771 times
You probably need to wait until you actually have a job. With the internet, you can apply for jobs easily. What you can also do is go to Atlanta for a few days, and dedicate yourself to filling out employment applications during the day. At night, you can check out the city. If someone calls you why you are there for an interview, great. If not, go back home and leave your calendar open for a second trip and have interviews scheduled for that second time you return to town.

The Bible talks about being patient and this is something all of us need. I understand wanting to get out of a certain city. I'm in that predicament right now. But be patient because you do not want to move somewhere without a job lined up.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,024,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_in_a_desert View Post
I thank everybody that had some good advices it really made a difference. I did talk to HR department in Atlanta because I work at a world wide known luxury hotel. Transferring is very possible but they didn't have the opening on my department she told me to fax my resume immediately and check back very often.

GSU and IUPUI tutitions are the same and I do qualify for scholarships and grants&loans so school payments are not the problem but out of state is the catch. That's why I thought about working full time in Atlanta for the same hotel or similar for a year and becoming in-state.

That's why I was asking you guys If it would be easy to get a job in the hotel industry since i dont know the job market and how the economy works down there. We do have a lot of hotels in indy also but getting a job is very difficult over here. Not a lot of openings and a lot of applications on the same job and Indy is a laid back city. Things take too long to happen. lol
You will be ok. Don't rush it. It will happen in due time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: