Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,027 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a small town near Lexington, KY and am a recent college graduate (I went to college in Louisville, so I've had some urban experience even though it is not like Atlanta.) Anyway, the job I'm looking at is inside I-285, in the "hustle and bustle" of Atlanta, and I'm actively working to make contacts in the area.

These are some factors I'm also considering:
  • Future education: I see Law School and MBA in my future. I know Emory is a top-rate institution in the South. How about Georgia State, UGA, John Marshall (JD only), or Kennesaw State (MBA only)?
  • Neighborhood and cost: Let's keep it inside I-285 here. Applying the saying "When in Rome..." here. Well, when in Atlanta, live close to your work...so I've heard.

A little about me: I'm not a bar hopper or big partier, but I like to go out 4-5 times a month and have a couple of drinks, play some pool, catch a baseball game. I also want a safe area, someplace where I can walk around or to the MARTA station at 1:00am and not have do defend myself with...something.

Anyway, Inman Park, Candler Park, Decatur, Little Five Points, Buckhead, and the southern portion of Sandy Springs. How about any of these areas? Any other safe, singles-friendly areas inside I-285?

I'm not willing to consider Downtown or Midtown. I'm not afraid of these types of areas in most cities, but in Atlanta I am b/c of the recent "re-spike" in the crime rate after Katrina.

Lastly, prefer a studio or 1BR for under $750/mo. Suggestions? Also, how much do water bills run now that the supply is more scarce?
  • Singles: I'm single and proud! Not in a relationship. Should I ever decide to start looking for that lady, though, where might be some good churches, coffee shops, even part-time workplaces (hey, I'm not against making extra spending money) to look.
  • Friendliness: Many of the native Atlantans I've met are very friendly and down-to-earth. (I'm sure plenty of transplants are too.) I'm a naturally friendly and funny guy, but slightly reserved at first. I'm hoping it will be MUCH easier to make good friends than it has EVER been here in small-town Kentucky, where not being "one of the hometown gang" can not be much fun.
The other areas I'm considering are Houston, Ft. Worth, and Chicago primarily, and Austin secondarily.

I apologize for asking so many questions. I just want to gather all the information I can about Atlanta and make the wisest, best-informed decision. Thank you!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-06-2008 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Grammatical error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Well, my best friend here (older than you) is from near Lexington originally (Winchester KY to be exact) so I have a feel for the natives there.

Ok, downtown forget due to the lack of ammenities (grocery stores, etc) and the number of vagrants. Midtown, Inman Park, and Virginia Highlands are nice areas, however if you are even remotely homophobic knock those out due to the very large gay population in those areas. If you're not phobic, then Virginia Highlands (if you can find an affordable apartment) is a decent option with restaurants and shops within walking distance, though you won't be able to easily walk to a MARTA rail station.

Keep in mind that intown "safe" is relative - this is a large city after all. The "Katrina criminals" as well as our local criminals all own fancy SUVs now and drive to various suburbs as well as inner city locations to do their crime, to really, you could be 20 miles outside the city and be in an area that has higher crime than some areas in the middle of town. Inman Park is ok, though some might find a walk to that MARTA station less than desireable (others have no problem with it). Little Five Points is ok if you like pierced eyebrows, spiked hair, and goth - though crime is higher.

There is always the Lindbergh MARTA station area though - nice, intown feel but not slumming it at all. The area around the station is building up a lot and the Peachtree Hills area behind it is nice. You have access to all the inner city areas while being in a decent area with stuff to do locally.

A studio or 1BR at or under $750 a month is going to be hard. Services like Promove.com may be able to find a deal for you. With the housing slump the way it's been lately, more people are actually renting, which has driven rent prices up over the last year in most major cities. It's getting hard to find stuff close-in, in that price range unless you have a service look for you.

I'm not a church person so can't recommend any. Maybe others can.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, my best friend here (older than you) is from near Lexington originally (Winchester KY to be exact) so I have a feel for the natives there.

Ok, downtown forget due to the lack of ammenities (grocery stores, etc) and the number of vagrants. Midtown, Inman Park, and Virginia Highlands are nice areas, however if you are even remotely homophobic knock those out due to the very large gay population in those areas. If you're not phobic, then Virginia Highlands (if you can find an affordable apartment) is a decent option with restaurants and shops within walking distance, though you won't be able to easily walk to a MARTA rail station.

Keep in mind that intown "safe" is relative - this is a large city after all. The "Katrina criminals" as well as our local criminals all own fancy SUVs now and drive to various suburbs as well as inner city locations to do their crime, to really, you could be 20 miles outside the city and be in an area that has higher crime than some areas in the middle of town. Inman Park is ok, though some might find a walk to that MARTA station less than desireable (others have no problem with it). Little Five Points is ok if you like pierced eyebrows, spiked hair, and goth - though crime is higher.

There is always the Lindbergh MARTA station area though - nice, intown feel but not slumming it at all. The area around the station is building up a lot and the Peachtree Hills area behind it is nice. You have access to all the inner city areas while being in a decent area with stuff to do locally.

A studio or 1BR at or under $750 a month is going to be hard. Services like Promove.com may be able to find a deal for you. With the housing slump the way it's been lately, more people are actually renting, which has driven rent prices up over the last year in most major cities. It's getting hard to find stuff close-in, in that price range unless you have a service look for you.

I'm not a church person so can't recommend any. Maybe others can.
Wow, small world! I was in Winchester just yesterday. That's an "interesting" part of the world (lol).

I visited Atlanta last March and spent two days Downtown. I, too, noticed a lack of anything substantial in providing day-to-day needs for its residents, such as 7-Elevens, Krogers, or Wal-Marts, much less any locally-owned stores (which have their own "charms" that large chains can't replicate.) Same with Midtown.

From what I've read and heard about Little Five Points, it is a sort of rendition of Louisville's Highlands neighborhood. Very eclectic, funky, lots of tattoo parlors and unique local restaurants, and tolerant of many different lifestyles. I'm a political and social conservative but don't "shove it down peoples' throats" and actually would not be opposed to living in a place like LFP.

I forgot about Virginia Highlands. That's near Emory University, isn't it?

Thanks for the reply, Greg.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Anybody else want to chip in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta