Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:36 PM

5 posts, read 9,611 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I lived in atlanta for 14 years and then had to move back north 5 years ago to care for ailing family members. my kids are now all attending college back in atlanta and i desperately want to come back. I search the web all the time and i know how hard it is in atlanta if you don't have a job. there was never a safety net for me (single parent) and times were really hard, especially with rent (3 days and you can be evicted) My question is should I move back without a job - back to the city that i love? Or should i wait unit i get a job offer in atlanta - which can take forever.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 12:07 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,034,955 times
wait until you get a job

atlanta isnt going anywhere

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,789,689 times
Agreed. Get a job first.

When you move back, you may want to consider West Highlands (south of Riverside, near Perry Homes, just east of Hollywood Rd) because that area is being transformed and is very affordable for the time being. The projects have been vacated.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 AM

631 posts, read 1,096,433 times
I know how you feel. My wife and I situation is the same as yours. We moved back north because of our elderly parents. We always said we would move back, so we will, within 2 years.

Don't leave w/o a job, though. I know how it feels to just want to jump up and go back to a place you love, but don't do it. Atlanta will be there.

One way to make it easier to find a job is to get a disposable phone with an Atlanta area code, and a PO box, or use a relative's address.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 AM

255 posts, read 465,082 times
Depends on how long you can go w/o work.

There are companies that are hiring, but not many. I'd figure on at least a 3 month job search at a minimum. But that may not be your biggest concern.

You can find a job. The question is finding one making what you're making now, or close to it.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:24 AM

311 posts, read 845,046 times
Hi Rosiele,

I'm gonna go with everyone else and say wait until you have a job OR another option is to save up enough money to survive on 6-8 months, and settle on an affordable apartment that you can pay off each month on the lowest salary you think you're worth and can find if you can't find that dream position automatically

I have a question though...everyone says to wait until you have a job, but I mean do companies pay for you to fly out there for interviews? My biggest concern is I'm barely making it in DC with the cost of living out here and want and need to move to ATL...Does one just have to save up money for transportation and hope for the best?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 9,611 times
Hi everyone. Thanks for your input. it looks like waiting for a job is best. i was laid off about a year ago up north and still I am looking for employment. I received a grant from unemployment to retrain for nursing assistant and other healthcare technical things. The course ends in July. I hope that I will be able to find something. there is no way that I could ever save any money in the situation that i am in. i do get unemployment though. i really wish at times that i stayed in atlanta. i have been here 5 years so far and my heart is breaking. thanks for the information on highlands. i used to live in roswell.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,034,955 times
I didnt know you have been laid off for a year. If that is the case you might as well move unless you think you can get a job where you currently are.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,789,689 times
Roswell has gotten really expensive, like Smyrna and other places. Since it sounds like you lived in the suburbs before, and you are in healthcare, then you have freedom to look at more affordable areas than Atlanta and the direct Northern suburbs - like Douglasville, Lawrenceville, Covington, South Fulton or Cartersville. But it really depends on where openings are. If they are in Atlanta, then you can get a deal where I mentioned before. The area is safer now that the projects are gone. It has a ways to go to be great, but that's what makes it very affordable for buying a home. If you drive down Johnson Rd towards Marietta Blvd from that area, you can see what potential it has.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM

72 posts, read 175,105 times
With nursing training you should be able to find a job...but don't move until you have a job. Why don't you start contacting medical facilities around Atlanta to see what the response is to your services? Also, maybe the folks training you have a placement program and they can assist. I would not move to Atlanta until you get a job because you might wind up getting a great opportunity close to but not in Atlanta that would satisfy your wallet and your emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta