Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM

44 posts, read 172,050 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Atlanta with my family. Young, professional couple and we have a pre-school aged child. We are going to be working at Crawford Long Hospital and Grady Hospital. We have been researching the area, but Atlanta seems fairly complex. We need your help.

We are looking for an area close to both hospitals with great schools, good stores, restuarants, parks and preferably with a subdivision set-up for homes. We would rather have a short commute, but would be willing to take a little bit of a hit on the commute time to get good school and more fun stuff to do around our home.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM

67 posts, read 237,363 times
What is your price range?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
The big question is price. If you want to be close to both locations, you're likely going to want to be inside the perimeter, and you'll pay more for that than in the suburbs- especially if you want the good areas/schools. Do you have a price range in mind?

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The big question is price. If you want to be close to both locations, you're likely going to want to be inside the perimeter, and you'll pay more for that than in the suburbs- especially if you want the good areas/schools. Do you have a price range in mind?
Honestly, I don't know what the prices in Atlanta are.. if you could give me an idea of what I can expect to spend in certain areas it might help.

Scouting.. the Dunwoody/Sandy Springs area seems promising and the Vinings/Smryna area also seems promising.

Are there any good subdivisions in those areas and what price range would I be looking at to get a decent single family home. Or a better question. What towns in that area have great pre- and elementary schools and then maybe I can cross out the ones outside a price range we can't afford.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
In my opinion - you sound like folks that would appreciate and enjoy living in the City. Atlanta is a big place - we have no geographical borders like mountains or the ocean so the city is spread out. If you look at a map - anything inside the loop of Interstate 285 is considered within the City.

Here is a good website for school ratings in Atlanta: GreatSchools.net

Obviously, the better the school system and being in the City - the higher the price for homes. What is your price range and other requirements? I live in the oldest planned neighborhood in Atlanta. It is called Inman Park and this is my second home here and I could not imagine living here or the surrounding area. Here is the neighborhood website Inman Park. You could be at Grady Hospital and Crawford Long Hospital within 15 minutes. We have wonderful shops and restaurants all within walking distance or a very quick drive. Obviously - I am partial to the area since I live here!

But there are other wonderful neighborhoods too that also have good school systems. Check out Decatur City too. It is just an additional 10 minutes to your hospital commute. The website is City of Decatur, GA .

Good luck and let me know if I can help any further.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM

67 posts, read 237,363 times
If you want a nice walkable neighborhood close to shops, restaurants and "fun stuff" then you'll want to check out some intown neighborhoods like Morningside, Virginia Highland, Inman Park, Candler Park, Lake Claire and Decatur. All of them have highly rated school systems and a lot of great restaurants, shops and parks within walking distance. The Grant Park area also has great charter schools and is located next to the Atlanta Zoo with a nice park and restaurants. The prices in these communities would range from $300k for a small two or three bedroom bungalow up to $1m+ for brand new construction with high end finishes. It just depends on what your criteria is as far as size, price and finishes.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Hmm.. Assuming I was looking in the $400-500k range.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM

What price range should I expect to pay for a nice subdivision in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area and/or the Smyrna/Vinings area?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Schools aren't as good in Smyrna (sorry Aries, it is true) --they will probably improve over time...

Sandy Springs and Dunwoody --that price range would most likely get you an older home -- not to small, but probably not fully renovated. (or if renovated, not recently)

If I were you, I would look intown.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Schools aren't as good in Smyrna (sorry Aries, it is true) --they will probably improve over time...

Sandy Springs and Dunwoody --that price range would most likely get you an older home -- not to small, but probably not fully renovated. (or if renovated, not recently)

If I were you, I would look intown.
What areas in-town would you suggest? And in the Smyrna/Vinings area are the pre-k & elementary schools not good also? Any other areas in Cobb County that have good/great schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta