Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,783 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new career in Atlanta and I have absolutely no contacts there. I'm twenty-five, single, and social and would like to be somewhere with similar age people, in an area that I will be confortable in as a woman living by herself.

I obviously do not have a lot to go off considering I do not know much about the area but I would like a 1 bedroom, in a popular area ranging anywhere form $700-$1000.

Appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM

298 posts, read 373,696 times
Will you be able to come down and walk around / visit or do you need to lock down a place prior to moving (so doing it over the phone and online research)? We're a similar demographic and I would look around the Virginia Highlands, Poncey Highlands, or Inman Park. I live in the are and walking around you'll find a lot of places looking to rent a room, but they're probably not online. If you can't do that, I'd look at some companies that tend to specialize in older, in town units in the price range and area you'd probably want to live.

Some of those places are MLC Properties (MLC Properties) and Braden Fellman (Braden Fellman)

Some of the older units can be in rough shape, but you're paying for location. Also, you don't have to live there forever.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Defiantly intown. Look into West Midtown as well.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Not enough information is given. What does social mean? Do you like to bar hop or are you an outdoorsy person that likes to hike or kayak on the river, etc?

Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,783 times
I love the outdoors but I also enjoy going out on weekends. I like a place that lets me go running and hike outside and but has a good nightlife.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt1187 View Post
I'm starting a new career in Atlanta and I have absolutely no contacts there. I'm twenty-five, single, and social and would like to be somewhere with similar age people, in an area that I will be confortable in as a woman living by herself.

I obviously do not have a lot to go off considering I do not know much about the area but I would like a 1 bedroom, in a popular area ranging anywhere form $700-$1000.

Appreciate any help!
What part of Atlanta will you be working in?

Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
I would start with Virginia Highlands, if you can find a place where you can swing the rent. Close to Piedmont park, close to a commercial strip with a decent amount of foot traffic. No shortage of people around that age jogging around during the evenings.

Nothing wrong with Inman Park either, but the location of your workplace should factor heavily into where you live. Gas is expensive and the state of transportation in Atlanta often means that there is no alternative to commuting through traffic jams every day.

A 30 mile commute in a 20 mpg car can mean a ~$250 monthly expense just for gasoline (in addition to ~7 hours a week wasted in the car).

Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Check out these areas and see what feels right to you:

Midtown: For an urban lifestyle in a highrise. Also a lot of the clubs are in this area.

Buckhead: This is the upperscale / often "preppy" area of the city. The largest cluster of bars is here on Roswell road just off Peachtree.

Virginian Highland: Nice area, has some bars and a lot of older split up house with rooms to rent. Feels like a small town / college town but is in town.

Decatur: Similar sort of appeal as ViHi but has it own character.

East Atlanta (including lil 5, O4W, EAV, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood): Each of these areas, while neighboring each other, have their own feel, history, and sets of bars. Sometimes described as more hipster-ish, there are a lot different things these neighborhoods have to offer to find you nitch.

Bonus reading: http://clatl.com/neighborhood_guide/...hoodGuide1.pdf

Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Virginia Highlands!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

893 posts, read 1,324,573 times
West midtown look at alexan metro west apt complex. I lived there for a while, nothing but great things to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta