Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 19,580 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Im a 22yr old single black male and I'll be moving to ATL from Dallas for my new job as a pilot with ASA Delta Connection. Moving out of parents house and onto my own for the first time. Looking for advice on places to live in the ATL area. Im looking an decent apartment in a safe neighborhood with good access to Hartsfield airport. I'm also looking for a good social atmosphere with plenty of residents my age range in the area, and good access to local nightlife. Also looking into the option of getting a roommate. My income will be 28k-30k first year and 45k-50k second year so Im looking for not expensive but decent priced apartments. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
Most pilots live in Peachtree City, Newman, or adjacent towns in the Fayette county. This is for the Airtran, Delta folks though, Captains at that. It's pricey.

I'm not quite sure what the scene is for apartment rentals. When I left ATL in 2001 an aprtment around GA TECH (midtown) ran about 750/mo, I'm sure it has gone up since then. You'll be domiciled in ATL with ASA so you could afford to live a little away from the airport into midtown and find decent apartments.

One caution note though. I'm afraid you are not being realistic about your income. First year FO @ ASA is $19/hr and in order to make 30K on that you have to credit more than 100 hours a month on average plus per diem...that doesn't happen. You'll make around 20K first year and about 30-45K second year depending on equipment (I'm a military Guard/Reserves pilot so I know a little about the airline industry). The younger folks that live in ATL and work for ASA live all over the place, so again I don't think you'll have a problem finding an apartment and again shouldn't have a problem living away from the airport, but check your income numbers they are about 8-10K high for first year. Good luck.

Last edited by hindsight2020; 11-12-2007 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
First of all, welcome to Atlanta and congratulations on your new job! You should definitely consider coming to the Making It in the City LIVE event in Atlanta, which covers all the topics you describe and is geared toward 20-somethings and new college grads. There are a few of these events nationwide, but the next one will be in March or April 2008 in Atlanta. I think registration opens before Thanksgiving. I went last year on assignment and it was very well put together and packed with info.
Info is posted at Making It In The City, Dream Big. Pay The Rent. so check it out.
Meantime, Promove.com is a great (and free) resource for apartment hunters here in town. AccessAtlanta.com is a great resource for nightlife.

Enjoy!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Congratulations, Youngone21. A whole new life awaits. Take it slow, squeeze as much enjoyment out of it as you can, and give back even more. I could probably throw in a whole bunch more "fatherly" advice, but I'll spare everybody.

If you can, try and find a decent apartment in the Fayetteville or Peachtree City area. You'll be fairly close to the airport, and you'll be in some decent areas to live.

The nightlife--at least the healthy kind--will always be there; you won't have to go looking for it. Just remember to put your well-being first. Make your moms proud.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post

One caution note though. I'm afraid you are not being realistic about your income. First year FO @ ASA is $19/hr and in order to make 30K on that you have to credit more than 100 hours a month on average plus per diem...that doesn't happen. You'll make around 20K first year and about 30-45K second year depending on equipment (I'm a military Guard/Reserves pilot so I know a little about the airline industry). The younger folks that live in ATL and work for ASA live all over the place, so again I don't think you'll have a problem finding an apartment and again shouldn't have a problem living away from the airport, but check your income numbers they are about 8-10K high for first year. Good luck.
$20k/year to pilot a plane??? What happened to the airline industry?? Pilots used to make $80-100k last time I checked. Man, for some reason it scares me that they've got a guy making $20k/year flying my plane......

Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

BobKovac,

Unfortunately, a pilot is not a pilot is a pilot. ASA is considered a regional airline, and as such, the payscales for first-year FO (first officer, aka co-pilot, aka right seat) range from around $17-$23/hr. Airline pilots also get paid different than 9-5 folks. At most airlines you have min guarantee of around 65-75 hours a MONTH credit; you fly the equivalent of less time credit than your guarantee you get paid guarantee, you fly the equivalent credit of more than guarantee then that's bueno for you. Most lines that are not reserve lines (i.e. guys sitting at home or at the airport waiting to get called to cover a sick guy...these lines are common to low seniority guys/gals such as the original poster) pay around 85 hours for the month, so at 19/hr you do the math for the MONTH.

As the years increase the payscale increases, but on the FO side of the scales on regional airlines you will not make much above 45-50K after five years, the hope is of course to upgrade to Captain (left seat) and make essentially double. Regional captains make what you are thinking 60-80K. Major airline FOs make about 45K first year then it increases to around 70k-100k+ depending on the airline. Major Captains make anywhere from 80K-200K with a median of about 150K. It's all variable because the pay depends on credit flown, which varies from personal choices (do I like to work or min run the job) to the phases of the moon, and not a fixed 40 hour work week.

The only reason I brought it up to the attention of the original poster is that most people hear "pilot" in the atlanta threads and automatically assume the guy is making what they think all pilots make -- Delta 10 year seniority Captain rate on the 767, circa 154/hr or 157K on 85 credit month avg for the year. Instead they are shocked as you are to learn that even he, the OP, is misinformed as to what he's going to be compensated !!! And yes it is sad that they don't pay these pilots a livable wage considering that, regional airline or not, most connecting flights from the outbases are fed to the hubs (that's people like yours and my grandma, sister, brothers and pets) by the fine folks of ASA, Republic, skywest, chataqua etc etc; 22-25yo folks on the right seat making 19K a year in their first time on a 50 passenger jet. Again, I wish this young man the best on his career, but I had to bring it to the attention because I can see the flood of replies telling him to relocate to peacthree city, newnan, fayetteville etc etc when clearly he's not clearing that kind of money.

I have acquaintances working for said regional and they have part-time jobs at the mall for crying out loud, again not a knock to the poster. Said people also live at home with mom and dad still *cringe* which in the Atlanta area is not a bad deal considering they cannot afford homes in ATL they consider worth their time. So my advice to the OP is to look more towards the city or north and deal with the commute, which shouldn't be too bad considering he will only drive to the airport 5 times a month when he holds a hard line, and even on reserve lines, a drive to the airport is not longer than an hour at worst from the city, and callouts allow for much more than that in time. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 19,580 times
Thanks for the advice and kind replies. Hindsight2020 I was estimating my first and second year pay off the new contract proposal that should go into effect in December for ASA, making ASA the highest paying regional airline. The new contract raises first year pay to $23/hr and has many perks that increase pay , most importantly duty rigs. From what I've heard pilots will be able to credit way more than they actually fly, something like block 90 hrs but credited 120. Again Im new so Im not exactly sure how it will work. The main reason I chose to move to Atlanta is so I can pick up as much flying as I can on my days off in order to make the most money. I know many trips that they need pilots to pick up get paid at 150% pay. Many told me the DFW-ATL commute is hellish due to all the Delta employees that still live in Dallas and just move because Im young and have no obligations so I took that advice. As far as cost my parents will help me some first year so Im not looking for somewhere dirt cheap. Is renting a house also a possibility? I also have an idea of starting a "crashpad" for other pilots. Thanks again for all the help again.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM

I agree with the advice of moving to ATL. I think DFW-ATL is one of the easier commute but by no means a cakewalk. I'd say that's about the smartest decision you've made so far regarding your employment @ ASA. It will increase QOL like you wouldn't believe.

Regarding the pay, I'll let you be the judge of your own destiny. I think with your marital status and your age you are in the perfect position to do what you say you intend to do (maximize the block time). Regarding the new TA and crediting 100+ hrs a month, I won't comment as this board is not the place for that. I don't think you'll need a crashpad though, I think you can find a decent place in the city (look into your reserve callout times, and extrapolate how much time it'll take you to get to the airport) for around 700ish, half that with roomates, plenty of ASA folks around as well. Another poster already posted some websites to start your apartment search. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM

187 posts, read 918,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
$20k/year to pilot a plane??? What happened to the airline industry?? Pilots used to make $80-100k last time I checked. Man, for some reason it scares me that they've got a guy making $20k/year flying my plane......
LOL LOL LOL...You are so right about that one! Now you've got me thinking!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
With step raises and other things the rate goes up rather quickly, at least at the majors. Airline mechanics don't take long to get into the 60-80k range, and pilots get there a lot faster.

The pays scales at the majors versus smaller carriers are quite dissimilar, though, mostly because most of the folks starting at a major carrier have already done their time with the smaller ones. They really aren't "starting out at the bottom" in most cases...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta