Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

I don't respect UGA enough. I always seen it as a conservative, party school with a bunch of drunk broads having sex every night with any guy. It's very homogeneous. It is vastly a white majority school. Other top schools in the nation are much more diverse.

Maybe it's changed during the years, but many reviews I've read from students there have said the same thing. I read these reviews many years back though when I was looking at prospective schools in highschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't respect UGA enough. I always seen it as a conservative, party school with a bunch of drunk broads having sex every night with any guy. It's very homogeneous. It is vastly a white majority school. Other top schools in the nation are much more diverse.

Maybe it's changed during the years, but many reviews I've read from students there have said the same thing. I read these reviews many years back though when I was looking at prospective schools in highschool.
Times a changin' I suppose. I mean it's a football school, every football school is about that life..but there is so much other stuff that I feel like people don't know about or notice. They use to be the number one party school, but every year they sink lower on that list. You can't just focus on the negative. I agree though. Back then things were different. I hope they continue to lose their party name. If Duke and UNC join the SEC..we can hope.

But then I may have to root for the Tarheels...

I actually know a lot of Indian/Asian people at UGA..but that's probably because those are the major racial group in my friendship circle.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM

76% white tells me it's still not very diverse any way you look at it. 3/4 students are white. Only 8% blacks go to the school, yet over 30% of the state is black. Something is wrong with that. I would think it would be more like 12-15% black.

Harvard is 45% white, then from there, it is very diverse.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:32 PM

I mean, it's merit based. The achievement gap is huge in GA. You need to get in to go to UGA. Hispanic and Asian enrollment has gone up a lot though. I remember reading somewhere that Asian enrollment has gone up by 50% since 05. More Asians will come to UGA as it keeps getting more selective and better.

A lot of schools have low enrollments of black students. 8% at UGA. 6% of students at GA Tech are black. 8% at Florida. 4% at Michigan. 9% at UNC. 3% at UCLA. 3% at Berkley. 6% at Ohio State. 7% at Harvard. 6% at Yale. 4% at Penn State. 3% at Texas A&M. 8% at Clemson. 8% at Vanderbilt. 7% at William and Mary. 5% at U Southern California. 7% at Stanford. 7% at MIT. 5% at Brown. 3% at University of Washington. 7% at UVA. 5% at UT-Austin. 6% at Cornell. 7% at Miami. 4% at NYU.

UGA is actually not bad for black diversity. You just have a bias.

and diversity doesn't really matter as much as we want it to. Only bc we go to GSU we think that. It's all about who's the best and who will add the most to campus as a human being...not as a black or white. Diversity is inherently racist for college admissions.

Last edited by ChefRamsey; 01-20-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM

472 posts, read 809,386 times
There is a lot of socioeconomics that determine where underrepresented minorities attend college. Have you both considered the fact that Atlanta is widely African American? Location often has a lot to do with it as well. It's hard to compare the flagship school with the state school because they aren't the same peas in the pod. Same goes towards comparing GSU to Georgia Tech or even UGA to Georgia Tech. The worst comparison I saw was between Ivy League schools and flagship schools. You can't do that.

Diversity has indeed gone up at UGA, especially with the Asian population as ChefRamsey said. The school may be conservative to you ant, simply because the state we all live in is conservative! I'm assuming you're liberal. Still, I don't know any other college town that had thousands write in Charles Darwin during the primaries. UGA is also the greenest university in Georgia. Hardly traditionally conservative. Alternatively, despite the black culture at GSU who tend to swing left, I'm sure there are some conservative religious groups on campus. I also don't agree with ChefRamsey when he says diversity doesn't matter. Diversity is key in a globalized society, but I do agree that it's about bringing the best to campus. For different schools with different goals, that best will vary.

None of this has significantly to do with the topic of this thread, so let's move this discussion over to the other GSU-KSU thread. There is no need for a GSU rant on every single thread that has to do with colleges.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
There is a lot of socioeconomics that determine where underrepresented minorities attend college. Have you both considered the fact that Atlanta is widely African American? Location often has a lot to do with it as well. It's hard to compare the flagship school with the state school because they aren't the same peas in the pod. Same goes towards comparing GSU to Georgia Tech or even UGA to Georgia Tech. The worst comparison I saw was between Ivy League schools and flagship schools. You can't do that.

Diversity has indeed gone up at UGA, especially with the Asian population as ChefRamsey said. The school may be conservative to you ant, simply because the state we all live in is conservative! I'm assuming you're liberal. Still, I don't know any other college town that had thousands write in Charles Darwin during the primaries. UGA is also the greenest university in Georgia. Hardly traditionally conservative. Alternatively, despite the black culture at GSU who tend to swing left, I'm sure there are some conservative religious groups on campus. I also don't agree with ChefRamsey when he says diversity doesn't matter. Diversity is key in a globalized society, but I do agree that it's about bringing the best to campus. For different schools with different goals, that best will vary.

None of this has significantly to do with the topic of this thread, so let's move this discussion over to the other GSU-KSU thread. There is no need for a GSU rant on every single thread that has to do with colleges.
There shouldn't be socioeconomics that affect a black student's decision. That's failure. Everything in the world should be merit based and anyone who has proved themselves to be something should be given any sort of financial aid possible. The rest can burn away. I isn't fair that smarter people should suffer because they don't have money. That doesn't make sense. I'm not even talking equality or fairness, both of which can be questioned to the core. I'm talkin straight up logic.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Is GSU majority minority these days?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Is GSU majority minority these days?
Pretty much.

Black students run this school even if there are other groups. Not that there's anything wrong with that...it's just that the wrong type of black students mostly do like ant and I said. All the "concerts" (if you can call them that) are usually crappy local rappers from Clark or Morehouse. Not uncommon to have club music blasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays(big commuter days). Everyone dancing and smoking in the courtyard right next to the library. The AA frats and soros run Greek life..what little there is. Student organizations and student housing is urban focused. We have a black student alliance, a black sophomore alliance, a negro woman alliance, a pre-med minority club, 3-4 different variations of African student association. They even had an event in the dorms where you talk about your favorite fetishes. Then people wonder why we are number one on sugar mama rankings. Other racial groups commute/keep to themselves. They're pretty cliquey. We need more jazz and Nelson Mendella talks. Less Ludacris and 2 Chainz. Sadly this is the way it is.

It's been like that for a while though. We have seen a higher minority enrollment these days though

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Pretty much.

Black students run this school even if there are other groups. Not that there's anything wrong with that...it's just that the wrong type of black students mostly do like ant and I said. All the "concerts" (if you can call them that) are usually crappy local rappers from Clark or Morehouse. Not uncommon to have club music blasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays(big commuter days). Everyone dancing and smoking in the courtyard right next to the library. The AA frats and soros run Greek life..what little there is. Student organizations and student housing is urban focused. We have a black student alliance, a black sophomore alliance, a negro woman alliance, a pre-med minority club, 3-4 different variations of African student association. They even had an event in the dorms where you talk about your favorite fetishes. Then people wonder why we are number one on sugar mama rankings. Other racial groups commute/keep to themselves. They're pretty cliquey. We need more jazz and Nelson Mendella talks. Less Ludacris and 2 Chainz. Sadly this is the way it is.

It's been like that for a while though. We have seen a higher minority enrollment these days though
I've seen the play some jazz or Alternative in the cafeteria area in the student center but that's rare compared to hearing ****ty hip hop.

I'm starting to realize why Calc was taken out of the curriculum. Also, I notice the schools is now more black then white by 2%(38% to 36%), yet it feels like it's a 60% black school lololol. It's so sad. It starting to feel less diverse as the years go by. The whites are pretty quiet amongst themselves....same as the asians.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be socioeconomics that affect a black student's decision. That's failure. Everything in the world should be merit based and anyone who has proved themselves to be something should be given any sort of financial aid possible. The rest can burn away. I isn't fair that smarter people should suffer because they don't have money. That doesn't make sense. I'm not even talking equality or fairness, both of which can be questioned to the core. I'm talkin straight up logic.
Quote:
Pretty much.

Quote:
I've seen the play some jazz or Alternative in the cafeteria area in the student center but that's rare compared to hearing ****ty hip hop.

I'm starting to realize why Calc was taken out of the curriculum. Also, I notice the schools is now more black then white by 2%(38% to 36%), yet it feels like it's a 60% black school lololol. It's so sad. It starting to feel less diverse as the years go by. The whites are pretty quiet amongst themselves....same as the asians.
Quote:
Whites are most likely genetically smarter on average, yes, but I don't think that's the only reason. Blacks are also generally in the lower income socio-economic brackets and students in those lower brackets tend to perform worse academically then students in the upper brackets.

White people in lower brackets tend to not perform well either hence high drop out rates in rural counties also. Blacks in higher socio-economic brackets are generally almost or just as educated as their white counterparts.
Rented Negroes « Abagond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta