Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times

Advertisements

Go Dawgs! and jackets!

Georgia Tech ranked 14th and UGA ranked 66th in the WORLD for number of U.S. patents besting many Ivy schools and top research universities.

Guess who's nowhere to be found? EMORY

Both UGA and Georgia Tech trumped top tier AAU research universities such as Rutgers University, UVA, Tufts, Yale, Princeton, Washington University in St. Louis, Kansas, U Colorado, Boston University Dartmouth(not AAU)

NOTE: The University of California Regents include all 10-campuses of the system including UC-San Diego, UC-Irvine, UCLA, UC-Berkely etc.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...ities-2012.pdf

UGA ranked among top 100 universities worldwide for U.S. patents | UGA Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
Georgia Tech is a research institution, that happens to teach on the side. This is predictable. Many students unfortunately don't realize the type of place it is until they've spent the first year trying not to flunk out.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Georgia Tech is a research institution, that happens to teach on the side. This is predictable. Many students unfortunately don't realize the type of place it is until they've spent the first year trying not to flunk out.
Not true at all. Students at tech utilize what their university and alumni have to offer. The start-up culture at Tech is amazing. Their students are ambitious, they're capable. Teaching may suck because of all the research-professors, but GT is trying to develop a University of Michigan model with a culture of teaching at research universities. Mary Sue Coleman has done an excellent job.

It's amazing how skeptical "the public" are of the world. The public is so clueless to the world around them. I feel sorry for public universities. Hopefully their government keeps cutting the funding to higher education so that flagship public schools can go private. No need to help those who don't want to help themselves.

I don't think there's any piece of news that the public can't turn negative.

Like seriously? This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Don't spin it so Tech looks like the bad guy.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
Not sure what to make of your second paragraph, but I'm a tech alumni. I work in telecommunications system integration and think research is where it's at. Without the research and startup/incubator environment on the small scale fundamental level, we wouldn't have large scale applications that we do - that are cutting edge.

Things may have changed in the ten years since I was there, but the early 2000's had pretty abysmal teaching overall. This suited folks like me just fine - it was a really good way to teach students how to learn. The end result of that is a group like myself and my peers who can figure out pretty much anything given enough time and access to the right resources (which we know how to go find).

Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Not sure what to make of your second paragraph, but I'm a tech alumni. I work in telecommunications system integration and think research is where it's at. Without the research and startup/incubator environment on the small scale fundamental level, we wouldn't have large scale applications that we do - that are cutting edge.
The second paragraph is my general faceplam attitude of city-data and the public's skeptical nature.

Through FIRE grants and other efforts, Tech is trying to start up it's small scale investment methods the way Stanford has them. A school is only as good as it's alumni, right now Tech needs money. They have the quality student body, location, facilities, faculty, state, national and global support. They just need money from somewhere be it donations or the state.

GT has been increasing its crowd surfing efforts.

GT | News Center -

UGA has also created grant systems for various improvement initiatives by undergraduate students. You can't really teach innovation.

"Things may have changed in the ten years since I was there, but the early 2000's had pretty abysmal teaching overall. This suited folks like me just fine - it was a really good way to teach students how to learn. The end result of that is a group like myself and my peers who can figure out pretty much anything given enough time and access to the right resources (which we know how to go find)."

So if I carry around a pager or palm pre will I have the cutting edge of technology? Why not? It was cutting edge 10 years ago?

You can't compare universities three years ago let alone ten. Just like technology, higher education has evolved and changed at an exasperating rate. Things are different at a school like Tech and UGA now than even five years ago. Those who could get in five years ago can't now, those faculty who could get in five years ago can't now, what could be done with Tech's endowment funds and giving rate five years ago has changed dramatically now, the reputation of GT and UGA five years ago has changed now.

Now, I'll be a fool to say Tech's professors suck at teaching. However, the university community is very much fostering development via opportunity.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:41 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
What great news for our schools and state! I'm very proud to have them both in Georgia.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What great news for our schools and state! I'm very proud to have them both in Georgia.
THANK YOU ANSLEY

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM

In addition to this,

InformationWeek | 2013 InformationWeek 500 | Rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: